Spooky Tooth - The Mirror CD (album) cover

THE MIRROR

Spooky Tooth

Proto-Prog

dubovsky
5 stars This is an essential piece of music for any true proggers collection. This is a meaty album with no fillers really. Fantasy Satisfier is a fantastic start to the album, nice progressions on many of their songs, and generally great compositions...no not generally, but everything is just so good! It's surprising not too many people know about this. I even think it's worth getting this on vinyl (for you record collectors out there)

Some parts feel like Deep Purple and some parts feel like Uriah Heep--so I can hear some influences on here, which isn't to say that it's bad, but from an objective standpoint, it's not a completely independent and original piece. For example, Fantasy Satisfier kind of reminds me of Purple's Stormbringer, but it's still very unique. They are original in their own right. For 1974, it was and still is a very underrated album.

Woman and Gold has a very groovy baseline, Hell or High Water is great, as well as Kyle. Again, definitely worth listening through the whole album, and I think it would make a great addition to your collection.

dubovsky | 5/5 |