Kayak - Royal Bed Bouncer  CD (album) cover

ROYAL BED BOUNCER

Kayak

slipperman
3 stars I guess this is when Kayak started to be referred to as an "art rock" band instead of "prog", as they streamlined their sound and went for less involved tunes that retained elements of the sublime. But 10cc it ain't. This is basically a band that never followed up on the promise of their first two albums (but I've not yet heard 2003's 'Merlin - Bard Of The Unseen', which a few people have told me is the ultimate Kayak). A low 3.

Nothing could signal the band's intentions more clearly than the title track, which opens the album with high-energy pop, still retaining an earthy edge thanks to Johan Slager's driving guitar. And geez, after that, I almost wish they would tempt the Yes comparisons as their first album did, because it remains a conventional, unchallenging album throughout. Short, uncomplicated songs blow by nicely enough without leaving much of an impression: "Life Of Gold", "Patricia Anglaia", "If This Is Your Welcome", "Moments Of Joy". Though it tries for something different, "(You're So) Bizarre" is just too cute for my tastes, a light little bounce that draws a Beatles comparison. But there are certainly some fine moments that help save the day. "Chance For A Lifetime" tells a great tale to the tune of an urgent pop/prog backdrop. "Said No Word" checks in as the longest track, which does not necessarily a good song make, but sure enough, it is a highlight, offering some ear candy on an album the desperately needs it. And though it's not a great song overall, the keyboard layers from leader Ton Scherpenzeel on "Bury The World" are something to behold.

Third album and I already miss the more progressive (ie. interesting) Kayak from the first two, but there are still enough good moments to justify a purchase if you can get it cheap. And all was not lost, as their next two albums, despite continuing the less-is-more ethic, weren't total disasters. That would come later.

slipperman | 3/5 |