Tangerine Dream - Alpha Centauri CD (album) cover

ALPHA CENTAURI

Tangerine Dream

Progressive Electronic

Antonio Giacomin
3 stars One may consider this the truly first Tangerine Dream album, because we have here a kind of music that was to be developed by them in next albums and was to become their mark in musical scenario. Some can call this spacy rock music, and to my point I agree with it.

I may say also that this music does not take me to any kind intense emotional state; neither carries any kind of deep melodic beauty on it. But this album is too apart from whatever came previously, to the point that many can think about ignoring the first one, not as a musical effort that can be or not pleasant to anyone, but as solid starting point to understand musical choices and style of a band.

This is what I think about Alpha Centauri. An invitation and a challenge to any listener who intends to find musical value in a very radical and weird musical approach. Although not being a masterpiece like Phaedra or Rubycon, I am sure that it reaches high levels of musical pleasure for those who find success in getting it from Tangerine Dream´ s Alpha Centauri.

Antonio Giacomin | 3/5 |