Giles Giles & Fripp - The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles & Fripp CD (album) cover

THE CHEERFUL INSANITY OF GILES, GILES & FRIPP

Giles Giles & Fripp

Proto-Prog

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
3 stars 3,5 stars really!!!

Many Crimson fans have a hard time appreciating the genesis of their favorite band , mostly because of the silly but yet so British humour present. Yes , some of those tracks are silly tid-bits , odd ditties but no more than Gong or even early Genesis (Harrold the Barrel or Willow Farm).

And if you do forget the rather silly story line of the conceptual first side of the album , you will find many elements already present in the future Crimson. The opening track has got that special Giles drumming we all love , Mellotrons are used on another track etc....

But the highlight for many will be Suite No.1 , which I find interesting but no more. I reserve most of my applause for the closing track, Erudite Eyes with again stupendous drumming and great guitar works. Erudite Eyes and North Meadows are book-ending this corrct album is a very superb fashion.

Sean Trane | 3/5 |