Wigwam - Being CD (album) cover

BEING

Wigwam

Dobermensch
2 stars A bit of a goofy album. Well played, but very much of its time - particularly the vocals by Jukka Gustavson. 'Being' leaves me cold due to the unemotional content.

'Pride Of The Biosphere' is the one stand out track due to its shocking lyrics sung by a guy pretending to be upper class English singing about Communism, rape and Nazi's. It's truly stupid. In fact, it really makes me mad hearing rubbish like this, passed off as comedy. Sack the political stuff eh? It just sounds ridiculous.

Thankfully there's a lot going on which takes my mind off such childish wordplay from this band from Finland. For one - there's the redoubtable Pekka Pohjola - bass player extraordinaire who is right at the front of proceedings. If truth be told, he's the only reason I bought this album in the first place. His solo recordings are much better and mature than this nonsense.

Damn those English lyrics though. They really detract. The vocalist is good but I wish he didn't have that horrendous cod American accent. Other than that, it's a well recorded, multi layered Prog album from the mid seventies. Alas, not for me. Pants.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |