Blackfield - Welcome To My DNA CD (album) cover

WELCOME TO MY DNA

Blackfield

Any Colour You Like
3 stars I want to begin this review by stating that this is a good album, it has some wonderful tracks, full of pop hooks and completed with typically melancholic Blackfield lyrics. However, there are some truly bizarre, or downright silly angsty lyrics which ruin much of this album. Now I won't dwell on these lyrics because they aren't all bad, and in part, they succinctly fit the feel and tone of the album.

Blackfield's typical style of semi-acoustic melancholic pop-rock is as catchy as ever here. Aviv Geffen's role as the major songwriter is a nice break from Steven Wilson's somewhat elevated status in the contemporary music world. Anyway, there are plenty of hooks to keep the listener engaged, and the occasional up-tempo or crunchier riff, just to keep sound fresh. There is nothing here that will challenge any Blackfield (or Wilson veterans), however, the passages of melodic distortion found in tracks like "Blood" and "Zigota" are very well done. And as usual, the production is immaculate. Now, as far as rock albums go, I can't have too many complaints about the music. It's all very introspective and emotional. Nothing groundbreaking, nor offensively dull. However, the lyrics define 'patchy.' There are some decent lines like:

"The wolves are out tonight, and they're looking for a fight"

And then there are some truly horrid ones like:

"F**k you all, f**k you, I don't care".

Now you can read whatever psychological interpretations into those lyrics that you want. And interpret them in the context of the entire album, but it doesn't change the fact that they are painful to listen to. Cathartic for the writer - perhaps. Not for me. On balance, the lyrics shouldn't hurt the album, but in my opinion they do. Whenever I hear Steven Wilson call some presumably antagonist character a "bitch", I can't but feel a sense angst that belies the album. Make no mistakes, it's all well indeed to write about melancholic sentiments and personal fulfillment, but such emotionally prozaic lyrics seem to contradict the mature and poised nature of much of the music, and indeed many of the other lyrical passages.

Any Colour You Like | 3/5 |