Beardfish - Mammoth CD (album) cover

MAMMOTH

Beardfish

The Klepto
4 stars Mammoth is my first introduction to the odd genius that is Beardfish. Listing to it all, I hear snippets that remind me at times of other acts within the progressive rock/metal genre: the poetic (at times) vocals are reminiscent of Jethro Tull, their more grand songs remind me of Dream Theater (especially their Scenes From A Memory Album), meanwhile the more rockin' songs sound like something from the 90s rock n' roll scene - with just a touch of power through layered vocals and guitars. It all flows and balances together very well.

In several of the reviews/comments about the band I saw a connection of style between Beardfish and acts like Yes and Genesis, but I don't hear it. Maybe their other albums hit upon this more, but Mammoth is of a much more modern prog style. It's not as crazy or outlandish as some of the new prog acts out there (Read: djent bands), but it is a superb look into the possibilities of what musicians can do.

The Klepto | 4/5 |