Between The Buried And Me - Colors CD (album) cover

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

The Monodrone
2 stars Colors -- Between the Buried and Me

Between the Buried and Me's Colors isn't a bad album. It's also not a great one (by any means). Somewhat of a creative effort, Colors just didn't deliver the way I expected it to.

A mix of techinal death metal, metalcore, and flashy prog, Colors sounds like the bastard child of Opeth, Dream Theater and As I Lay Dying, with perhaps a bit of Pink Floyd thrown in every now and then for good meaure. While many of the tracks are technically proficient, they don't have any kind of special feel to them, and this is the bane of this particular album. All flashiness and no substance. The lyrics are quite dull and don't really leave any sort of impression after repeated listens. I've tried to like this album, but I oft find it hard to discover any pleasurable moments.

If you're a fan of metalcore, perhaps you would like this album; if not, I'd stay away. The redeeming qualities of this album lie in the softer sections; Tommy Giles (vocals, keyboards) is quite good in these passages. I feel that BTBAM need to focus less on technicality and much more on song- writing. Perhaps they will improve given time. Until then...

2 stars.