The Album Leaf - An Orchestrated Rise to Fall CD (album) cover

The Album Leaf

Post Rock/Math rock

stranded_starfish
2 stars The album leaf ' an orchestrated rise to fall

Well, having raved about 'in a safe place', you may be expecting me to do the same here ' especially as there isn't an enormous amount of difference between the two albums. Sadly, though, it's not to be. Sometimes subtle differences add up to a lot, and for me, this album just doesn't sparkle as the other did. It's like comparing a polished table to an unpolished one. They are both essentially wooden eating-surfaces , but one shines and one does not.

Maybe it's the more fragmented nature of this album ' there are more little bitty tracks here than on 'In a Safe Place'. Maybe it's that it has lost some of its soothing melody evocative of nursery rhymes. Maybe the song-writing just isn't as strong overall. I just find myself passing over this album more often than not ' or, worse, listening to it and then finding myself unable to really pin down a thread of what I've just listened to. It's not so much relaxing as forgettable.

A disappointing effort then ' not bad enough to total colour my opinion of the band with negativity, but still disappointing.

2/5