AN ORCHESTRATED RISE TO FALL

1. Wander (5:53)
2. An Interview (2:33)
3. Lounge Act (0:37)
4. September Song (2:43)
5. We Once Were (One) (4:29)
6. This River Deep (2:29)
7. Airplane (4:52)
8. A Short Story (19:37)
9. We Once Were (Two) (4:37)
10. Lounge Act (Two) (3:14)

Search THE ALBUM LEAF An Orchestrated Rise to Fall lyrics

Search THE ALBUM LEAF An Orchestrated Rise to Fall tabs

- Jimmy LaValle / all instruments

CD/LP The Music Fellowship / Linkwork (1999)

Thanks to Bryan for the addition
and to ProgLucky for the last updates

THE ALBUM LEAF MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THE ALBUM LEAF An Orchestrated Rise to Fall Music

No release results - showing artist results instead
A Chorus of StorytellersA Chorus of Storytellers
Ais 2013
In an Off White RoomIn an Off White Room
EP
Troubleman Unlimited 2001

More places to buy THE ALBUM LEAF music online Buy THE ALBUM LEAF & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THE ALBUM LEAF DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THE ALBUM LEAF An Orchestrated Rise to Fall ratings distribution

THE ALBUM LEAF An Orchestrated Rise to Fall reviews

Review by ClemofNazareth
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Folk Researcher
3 stars The only other album of Jimmy LaValle’s that I’ve heard is the 2006 Album Leaf release ‘Into the Blue Again’ and surprisingly even though that one has several guest musicians and this one is a completely solo effort the 2006 release sounds an awful lot more one-dimensional to me than this debut.

Part of the reason may just be that some people tend to enjoy the thrill of listening to a new artist for the first time, and once that initial sense of discovery is over whatever follows becomes something of a letdown. I’m probably one of those people. But it may be a bit more than that too: this album has a lot more interesting percussion than the latter record, and the acoustic guitar work is more pronounced when LaValle gets around to playing it (which is more often than in his later work). Also I’m a sucker for strings, and the ones on tracks like “Airplane” and “A Short Story” make this a better album than it would be otherwise.

And speaking of “A Short Story”, this lengthy track is really the only one on the record that really strikes me as a true post-rock composition. The rest are good, but tend closer to ambient music than true complex post-rock. In that respect the later Album Leaf record (granted, the only other one I’ve heard) is more complex and varied, but it doesn’t have as much inherent energy and emotion in it.

This is a style of music that eschews building crescendos and power for mood and understated sentiments, so if you’re one of those people who likes your experimental music to overwhelm you with emotion you may find yourself disappointed with this disk.

I’m going to rate it as pretty good, not great, but for fans of the Album Leaf this is probably a record you’re going to want to pick up just to see the progression of the artist if for no other reason. Me, I’ll wait for the next release and see what he’s managed to evolve into before deciding whether I’m getting hooked or not.

peace

Send comments to ClemofNazareth (BETA) | Report this review (#160381) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 31, 2008

2 stars The album leaf ' an orchestrated rise to fall Well, having raved about 'in a safe place', you may be expecting me to do the same here ' especially as there isn't an enormous amount of difference between the two albums. Sadly, though, it's not to be. Sometimes subtle differences add up to a lo ... (read more)

Report this review (#428410) | Posted by stranded_starfish | Wednesday, April 06, 2011 | Review Permanlink

3 stars I enjoyed 'In a Safe Place' enough that I decided to check out the other releases from the band. This one is definitely not as strong, but it is still good. It has sort of an unifinished feel to it in parts. Jimmy LaVallee and The Album Leaf have a very slow, dreamy, melodic, style of Post R ... (read more)

Report this review (#219789) | Posted by digdug | Thursday, June 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THE ALBUM LEAF "An Orchestrated Rise to Fall"