Peter Gabriel - Up  CD (album) cover

UP

Peter Gabriel

Zitro
4 stars Peter Gabriel has surprised his fans by writing a progressive and experimental rock/pop album this late in his career. The line-up Peter brought to create this album is extensive and full of talent. Also, Peter Gabriel's composition skills and creativity were as good as always. This album brings back the claustrophobia and darkness from his third album (the melting face)

The darkness of the album is introduced by er. well ... "DARKNESS" and it is one of Gabriel's best tracks. All instruments seem to be distorted when the musical explosion commences (the first time I heard it, my body leaned back in shock). "GROWING UP" is Peter Gabriel's catchiest track on the record which might be an attempt to score on the radio. The melodies are rich here. "Sky Blue" has a genius melody done in a vocal harmony that stays in your head. "No Way Out" and "Grieve" are two dark, and melancholic tracks connected together. "The Barry William show" is a funny mocking piece about shows. "My Head Sounds like that" is am experimental melodic piece which unfortunately does not excite me a lot. "More Than This" sounds like an outtake from His third solo album, it is excellent. "Signal To Noise" is the masterpiece of the album, and my favourite song from Peter Gabriel. It has a great and haunting percussion that reminds me of Biko. It has a guest vocalist who used his unique voice as an instrument with extraordinary and magnificent results. And of course, it has that symphonic finale!

Highlights : SIGNAL TO NOISE, darkness, and Sky Blue

Led Downs: The Drop, My Head Sounds Like That

Highly Recommended!

PS : It is very challenging music that requires repeated listens in order to find the beauty in the record.

My Grade : B