Genesis - Genesis Live CD (album) cover

4 stars This album would not be very interesting, were it not for the performance of Steve Hackett, who especially shines on "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" and "The Knife". In "The Return of the Giant Hogweed" he wonderfully demonstrates the rising anger in the plants after Gabriel's singing of "Botanical creature stirs, seeking revenge". And I think the guitar solo of Hackett in "The Knife" by far outshines the guitar solo in the studio version (which I always found a bit dull). One of Hackett's finest moments and among the best guitar solos ever on my personal list. "Watcher of the Skies" is a little slow, compared to the studio version, and doesn't quite convince me. The same for "Get 'em Out by Friday!". The version of "The Musical Box" is on par with the studio version. Due to the stellar version of "The Knife" the whole album gets 4 stars from me.
BaldFriede | 4/5 |