Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid CD (album) cover

PYRAMID

Alan Parsons Project

Zitro
4 stars This is a solid release with excellent production from the man who worked with Pink Floyd and the Beatles. It turns out he is also a good musician on his own. This album is easy listening electronic prog-pop (I have trouble categorizing this album). I say electronic because of the instrumentation heavily focused on electric keyboard and effects. I say prog because it is not the usual store album, it is in fact creative and complex. And I say pop because of the nice melodies, and song structures.

"Voyager" begins the album very strongly with a sci-fi energetic song that has very catchy rhythms and chord progressions. "What Goes Up" is a well done pop song with an interesting guitar solo. "The Eagle Will Rise Again" has a harpsichord-sounding keyboard playing an ascending riff combined with uplifting vocal melodies. "One More River" is a rock/pop song with a nice chorus and a saxophone solo, and has many changes in its four minutes. "Can't Take it With You" is a strong track with the best chorus of the album, which uses percussive touches, female choirs, and a pretty riff. "In The Lap of The Gods" is the most dynamic song of the album. after the church organ chord, a steady drumming pattern with acoustic guitar chords continue. Later, the song intensifies in the same beat using male choirs, keyboard touches, and glorious symphonic arrangements. The last parts of the song explode in dramatic male choirs and symphonic beauty. This is the most progressive song of the record, and also the most enjoyable. "Pyromania" is a goofy track with nice musical arrangements. "Hyper-Gamma Spaces" may be the most known track of the album. It is an electronic-rocker that seems to be influenced from Michael Jarre for the synth usage style. "Shadow of a Lonely Man" has a neat piano intro which almost drove me to sit down at the piano and learn it all. This song is a ballad with an orchestra.

Highlights : In The Lap Of The Gods

Let Downs : The Eagle Will Rise Again

This album is nearly flawless, and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in easy listening music heavily dominated by synths. I do not give it 5 stars because it is not an album that blows you away, nor is absolutely brilliant in songwriting.

My Grade : B