Positive Wave - Positive Wave CD (album) cover

POSITIVE WAVE

Positive Wave

Prog Folk

Windhawk
3 stars Finnish ensemble POSITIVE WAVE has been around in one form or another since 1998, and the initial formative trio has expanded to become a 7 member band as the years have gone by. And while a handful or so of EPs have been crafted by the band since its inception, a full-length effort didn't come to be until 2010, when the band self-released this self-titled production in the summer.

The positive vibes and light tones of Positive Wave will be something of an acquired taste I imagine. Many will probably find the material to be nice and pleasing without ever quite managing to become enthralling ? as I did. I suspect that those fond of 70's-tinged jazz rock of the kind that aimed to reach a broader audience will find this disc most interesting, and I wouldn't be surprised if I learned that fans of later bands like Mezzoforte found Positive Wave to be a really intriguing band an album either. A good effort in general, and one likely to attract a good sized audience also outside of the progressive rock universe.

Windhawk | 3/5 |