Vangelis - Earth CD (album) cover

EARTH

Vangelis

Mellotron Storm
3 stars "Earth" is a mixed bag for me as Vangelis plays a variety of styles here. I wish he had stuck with one style really and when I say that I don't mean the "Rock" leanings of the openiing track.

"Come On" is a 2 minute rocker with him singing "Come on !" throughout. Not a fan at all. "We Were All Uprooted" opens with thunder and rain as a beat comes in then flute. Spoken words join in before 1 1/2 minutes then acoustic guitar replaces the spoken words. A definite World Music flavour here and on many of these tracks. "Sunny Earth" has these native-like vocal melodies and the sound is very minamilistic. "He-O" is my favourite song on here.Very intricate sounding with vocals.

"Ritual" sounds like it came from out of India with those vocal sounds.They stop 1 1/2 minutes in then return after 2 minutes. Not a fan of this one. "Let It Happen" is more uptempo with vocals. I really like the instrumental section that start before 2 minutes and lasts over a minute. "The City" has these sampled sounds from a city as what sounds like kettle drums pound away. "My Face In The Rain" does nothing for me. Slow moving with fragile vocals. "Watch Out" builds then settles back before 2 minutes where it's not melodiic at all. "A Song" is very new agey as the vocals echo then spoken words take over. Not a fan of this one.

This album has it's moments, just not enough of them for my tastes.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |