Genesis - Selling England By The Pound CD (album) cover

5 stars This IS my favourite record, no matter what category. It is so good, that any attempt to describe its qualities is bound to be incomplete. Side 1 of the album has the masterpieces Dancing With The Moonlit Knight (which has perhaps the all-time second best song introduction I know (the best is The Undercover Man by VDGG)) and Firth Of Fifth (with some of the melodically best flute/guitar-work I know). I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) is perhaps not quite up to the same high standard, but it's not bad enough to ruin my over-all review of the record. More Fool Me I actually like a lot. If I had only heard it as a single, perhaps I would not have liked it so much, but when you listen to it in the context of the whole record, not only does it provide a resting point between the huge masterpieces before and after it, but it also somehow rises in quality itself. Side two is absolutely fantastic. The Battle Of Epping Forest is a prog-theatrical masterpiece. It beautifully combines with After The Ordeal and The Cinema Show, and the totality of it adds up to rock (and music) history's absolutely most superior masterpiece. Aisle of Plenty brilliantly closes the album, and brings forth again some melodical elements from the opening song - making the whole album a perfect unity.
Tyrant | 5/5 |