Manning - Songs from the Bilston House CD (album) cover

SONGS FROM THE BILSTON HOUSE

Manning

Starhammer
2 stars Don't judge an album by its opener...

Having listened to all 363 seconds of the crime against prog that is Songs From the Bilston House I was already considering turning it off. Then I was hit with the "your call is in a queue, please hold the line" intro to The Calm Absurd, by which point I felt like throwing my CD player out the window.

The Good: Luckily I didn't as this album has more than enough nice moments to make it worth sitting through. Guy Manning is one of the best neo-symphonic composers around, and the instrumental passages throughout just prove this. Even with an average track length of over seven minutes the majority of tracks are well structured and, at the very least, hold my attention.

The Bad: In addition to the aforementioned travesties, the vocals are abysmal and sound like a heavily intoxicated Ian Anderson. They are not only hard to listen to, but also detract from the overall effect, giving the release a raw and almost unfinished feel.

The Verdict: 2.999999... stars.

Starhammer | 2/5 |