SONGS FROM THE BILSTON HOUSE

Manning

Manning Songs from the Bilston House album cover

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Songs from the Bilston House (6:04)
2. The Calm Absurd (7:25)
3. Lost in Play (7:05)
4. Understudy (8:13)
5. Skimming Stones (7:19)
6. Antares (7:11)
7. Icarus & Me (5:54)
8. Pillars of Salt (10:36)
9. Inner Moment (7:33)

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House lyrics

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6 & 12, classical guitars, electric guitar, bouzouki, mandolins, bass, percussion
- Laura Fowles / saxes & vocals
- David Million / electric guitars
- Ian 'Walter' Fairbairn / fiddle
- Julie King / vocals

Guest musicians:
- Andy Tillison / drums, keyboards & vocals (courtesy of 'The Tangent')
- Steve Dundon / flute (courtesy of 'Molly Bloom')

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING Songs from the Bilston House Music

5 CAPITO;LRECORD LOT JOHNNY STANDLEY BILLY MAY HARRY KARI BOB MANNING PIED PIPER US $9.99 Buy It Now 54m 33s
Manning Guy - Root The Leaf & The Bone CD US $23.19 Buy It Now 2h 53m
Harper Manning Scottish Chamber Orchestra - Fanny Robin Comp CD US $18.40 Buy It Now 2h 57m
GREG MANNING-THE CALLING-JAPAN CD E00 US $22.99 Buy It Now 4h 30m
Barbara Manning with the San Francisco SF Seals Nowhere - CD - 10Tracks US $24.99 Buy It Now 5h 17m
GUY MANNING A Matter Of Life-Death CD 2004 PROG Tangent SEALED US $13.99 Buy It Now 6h 9m
WHY WAIT FOR THE MOONLIGHT 40's sheet music MANNING SHERWIN US $13.27 Buy It Now 9h
TARYN MANNING cd white girl rap BOOMKAT boom kat THE WRECKONING single DJ QUIK US $7.99 [0 bids]
BISHOP MANNING/MANNI - CONVERTED MIND: THE EARLY RECORDINGS * - NEW CD US $9.77 Buy It Now 10h 48m
BARBARA MANNING 1212 CD (San Francisco Seals) US $0.99 Buy It Now 11h 48m
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 12h 40m
Dick Manning 45 Dancing Princess NM/Space Express Theme 1962 Promo Jazz 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 13h 3m
LADYTRON Light and Magic NEW CD Roger Joseph Manning, Helen Marnie, Mira Aroyo US $9.99 Buy It Now 13h 36m
OLLIE WOTNOT PROMO/DJ 45 VG CINEMA RECORDS DICK MANNING US $2.99 [0 bids]
Roger Joseph Manning JELLYFISH Ghost at Number One w/ 2 DEMOS CD Single SEALED US $34.99 Buy It Now 16h 31m
JOHN MANNING White Bear LP COLUMBIA SEALED Folk PSYCH 11 US $49.90 [0 bids]
Linda Manning 45 HELLO LITTLE LOVER / TURNING BACK THE PAGES ~ VG++ pop dance US $4.00 [0 bids]
Original Vinyl LP - Bob Manning Lonely Spell 1953 US $0.99 [0 bids]
1 CENT CD Hit Me SOUNDTRACK Peter Manning Robinson US $8.51 [3 bids]
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning CD NEW US $7.82 Buy It Now 20h 33m
NETWORK THE - BISHOP KENT MANNING COLORED VINYL Punk US $13.00 Buy It Now 22h 6m
Truth Walks in Sleepy Shadows SF S.F. Seals '95 lp barbara manning 28th day RARE US $69.00 Buy It Now 23h 51m
Bob Manning Its Your Life Majorca Capitol3041 VG+ (45-6338) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING 45 F2383 GYPSYGIRL The NEARNESS of YOU 0731 VG (45s-5988) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
DICK MANNING 45 Fel-8650 Dancing Princess Space Express EX (45s-1664) US $6.49 Buy It Now 1 day
GUY MANNING - ANSER'S TREE * - NEW CD US $12.35 Buy It Now 1 day
CHAIN - THE VERY BEST OF CHAIN CD -RARE OZ PROG BLUES - MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING US $37.34 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Manning SF San Francisco Seals - Nowhere LP on Matador 1994 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Manning, Michael-Public CD CD New US $41.76 Buy It Now 1 day
Manning, Michael-Public CD CD New US $17.79 Buy It Now 1 day
JAMIE MANNING - WHAT REMAINS [CD NEW] US $13.10 Buy It Now 1 day
BARBARA MANNING sf seals 28th day WORLD OF POOH cd lp US $11.99 [0 bids]
JELLYFISH Ghost at Number One RARE EDIT PROMO DJ CD Single Roger Joseph Manning US $34.99 Buy It Now 1 day
PARALLEL OR 90 DEGREES A CAN OF WORMS SEALED 2 CD TILSON / MANNING THE TANGENT US $15.34 Buy It Now 1 day
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAS & OTHERS ROCK MEXICAN LP 1967 US $10.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TERRY MANNING - HOME SWEET HOME (REISSUE) (180GM) NEW VINYL US $27.71 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
Anthony Manning- The Concision Edits 12" US $10.36 Buy It Now 1 day
BARBARA MANNING.IN NEW ZEALAND.COMMUNION '88.MINT MINUS US $14.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Pop Promo 45 BOB MANNING Whose Heart Are You Breaking Now on Capitol (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Imperial Drag - Imperial Drag, Roger Joseph Manning Jr PROMO ADVANCE CD NEW SEAL US $9.99 [0 bids]
MATT TAYLOR / PHIL MANNING ~Oz Blues~ 1980 AUSSIE RECORD RELEASE POSTER ~ Chain US $46.68 Buy It Now 2 days
TARYN MANNING cd rap BOOMKAT boom kat cat THE RECKONING wreckoning JAPANESE US $7.99 [0 bids]
Pop Promo 45 BOB MANNING Itïŋ―s Your Life on Capitol (promo) US $5.00 Buy It Now 2 days
CHAIN Black & Blue / Lightning Ground 1971 Oz Blues 45 Matt Taylor Phil Manning US $25.68 Buy It Now 2 days
NEW - Drive by Manning-Dickson US $5.65 Buy It Now 2 days
Bob Manning - All Night Radio [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 2 days
Kim Manning - Good People [CD New] US $15.11 Buy It Now 2 days
A Winter's Solstice II Windham Hill Artists Michael Manning Nightnoise Cassette US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Bernard Manning & Joe Henderson - All Time 40 Singalong Party Hits - WW5001 (LP) US $1.64 Buy It Now 2 days
CD VARIOUS "TERRY MANNING AND WILD ONES EL PASO ROCK VOL 7" NORTON ROCK N ROLL US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ZRG 907 BENNETT Spells, Aubade MANNING PO WILLCOCKS ATHERTON ARGO STEREO UK 1979 US $8.28 Buy It Now 2 days
Capitol Records 45 RPM Bob Manning The Very Thought Of You EAP 1-585 US $4.99 [0 bids]
LINDA MANNING ~ I Feel A Cry Coming On ~rare country promo ~ RICE US $16.00 Buy It Now 2 days
ROYAL JESTERS: Sing A Song Of Peace / Manning Ave. 45 Soul US $25.00 Buy It Now 2 days
The Glands Of External Secretion Northern Exposure LP Barbara Manning US $20.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LINDA MANNING - i feel a cry coming on b/w au re voir - RICE RECORDS - NM // US $4.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning One Perfect Green Blanket 1991 Rare US $50.00 Buy It Now 2 days
BARBARA MANNING & GO-LUCKYS - YOU SHOULD KNOW BY NOW US $11.59 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning, John: tuba-Four Corners: Tuba Music fro CD NEW US $16.26 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning - Wtih Flophouse - B4 We Go Under - Vinyl 7" single Silkscreened US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
World Open Championships-Manning Bowl 1969-Volume 1-LP-Fleetwood-VG+ US $3.24 [0 bids]
The San Francisco Seals-Now Here Barbara Manning US $4.00 [0 bids]
Jayne Manning-Encore CD NEW US $16.20 Buy It Now 3 days
MANNING-AKOUSTIK CD NEW US $20.16 Buy It Now 3 days
Gravel Road by Lisa Manning (CD, 2007, Lisa Manning) US $8.95 Buy It Now 3 days
BERNARD MANNING 'HOW CAN YOU MEND A BROKEN HEART?' UK 7" SINGLE US $8.28 Buy It Now 3 days
BERNARD MANNING- I ONLY LIVE FOR YOU VINYL 7" 45RPM US $1.82 Buy It Now 3 days
Bob Manning Lonely Spell near mint original Capitol promo label w Monty Kelly US $23.99 Buy It Now 3 days
MANNING SMITH & THE RHYTHM OUTLAWS "JOHNSON RAG" 45 RPM US $4.49 Buy It Now 3 days
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $9.99 [0 bids]
Kimberly Murray & Bob Manning - One Night Only [CD New] US $15.01 Buy It Now 3 days
Lynn Manning Clarity of Vision CD *SEALED* US $4.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Roger Manning by Roger Manning Alternative Rock New And Sealed Free USA Shipping US $6.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Jellyfish / Spilt Milk (CD) Andy Sturmer, Roger Manning, Jack Joseph Puig GREAT US $2.29 Buy It Now 3 days
BOB MANNING - JUST WHAT I WANTED NEW CD US $21.96 Buy It Now 3 days
Chain~Rare OZ LP Live again EX 1972 Blues Prog psyche Infinity Phil Manning US $95.71 [7 bids]
FARMER JOHN RABBITS RUN AUSTRALIAN LP 70s COUNTRY BLUES ROCK CADD RUDD MANNING US $93.38 Buy It Now 4 days
HEARTS DON'T LIE - Film Sheet Music - Fun And Games - Manning Sherwin US $23.22 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning-I Only Live For You 7" UK Decca 45 1974 US $5.80 Buy It Now 4 days
MATT TAYLOR PHIL MANNING BAND OZ BLUES ULTRA RARE AUSSIE CASSETTE TAPE! US $32.68 Buy It Now 4 days
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MANNING - The Root, the Leaf & the Bone SEALED NOV 2013 UK PROG POET US $18.66 Buy It Now 4 days
BARBARA MANNING - 1212 - NEW CD US $8.14 Buy It Now 4 days
FASCINATION Waltz Song - 50's Sheet Music - DICK MANNING - F.D Marchetti US $16.58 Buy It Now 4 days
Anthony Manning - Chromium Nebulae - VERY RARE 1995 UK CD MINT Ambient Abstract US $32.49 Buy It Now 4 days
RAY MANNING SINGERS - BROTHER VERNARD JOHNSON PRESENTS (SEALED GOSPEL LP) US $9.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning (CD,... US $8.99 Buy It Now 4 days
MARTY MANNING & CHEETAHS: Sunny / Tarzan 45 (dj, tol, wol) Soul US $10.00 Buy It Now 4 days
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS ~ SELF TITLED ~ GOSPEL-FUNK-SOUL LP. VG+++ US $5.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home [Vinyl New] US $21.16 Buy It Now 4 days
CARGOE Feel Alright + Tokyo Love 45 US 1972 Terry Manning orig Ardent ADA-2901 US $47.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Manning songs from the bilston.. CD US $14.99 Buy It Now 4 days
ROCKABILLY 45 ~ REBEL ROUSERS - BALLAD of ARCHIE MANNING *hear* US $39.99 [0 bids]
THE_NETWORK (METAL) - BISHOP KENT MANNING [SLIPCASE] * - NEW CD US $10.42 Buy It Now 4 days
Gypsy Girl/Nearness of You~ RCA 45 RPM ~Bob Manning w/Monty Kelly US $3.00 Buy It Now 4 days
CHAIN, Matt Taylor, Phil Manning, Western Flyer lps, TOWARD THE BLUES, NM - MINT US $260.52 [0 bids]
LINDA MANNING - YOU'RE LOVING ME TO DEATH // SHADE TREE MECHANIC - ROULETTE EX US $3.80 [0 bids]
MANNING - AKOUSTIK - NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 5 days
PHIL MANNING ROCK THIS BOAT 1990 CANADA ROCK LP SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House ratings distribution

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Iīve got to say I was never really a fan of Guy Manningīs solo career. Ok, I only knew two CDs of his prolific discography before tackling this one (One Small Step... and The View From My Window), and even then, I just did so because a good friend praised the CD a lot in the internet. I first heard of Manning through his work with The Tangent, a group I happen to like a lot. I bought One Small Step... because I wanted to know his work outside The Tangent and I was not moved. I tried again with The View... and I was not impressed either. It seemed that this singer/songwriter/multi instrumentalist was doing better being a part of a symphonic group than on his own. Of course my opinion changed radically when I started listening to Songs From the Bilston House.

From the fisrt notes of the title track I knew this was something to pay atention: great keys, fine melody line and very convincing perfomance by all involved. Was it a fluke? I asked myself. The second song was equally good, although totally different is style (it reminds me a lot of The Tangentīs Lost In London). Third track: one of those few songs that is worth the price of the album alone . Lost In Play has everything you wish in a classic: an unforgetable riff, a beautiful melody line, inspired lyrics, breathtaking arrangements and a powerful delivering that makes you press the repeat button again and again. This is, needless to say, the CDīs Highlight. Of course the remaining songs arenīt as good as this one, but still they are equally inspired, varied and very well done.

After some repeated listenings I can say this is a fine piece of prog music. Manning combines classic rock, celtic folk and symphonic prog (plus some jazzy and bossa nova overtones here and there) into a very distinctive style that sounds both original and familiar. His vocals are not really outstanding, but work very well within the context of his songs. The playing is awesome, all musicians are very skilled (including some help form The Tangentīs fellow member Andy Tillson and Molly Blumīs flutist Steve Dundon ). The arrangements are very tasteful and precise, with all the instruments falling nicely into place. The production is top notch. But most of all the songwriting is the key: Guy Manning is in great form here, inspired and passionate all the way through the CD.

I guess Iīll have to hear his other CDs with a new perspective. Songs From The Bilston Houser, however, is an excellent prog record on its own and a fine addtition to any prog lover collection. final rating: something between 4 and 4,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#229886) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Don't judge an album by its opener...

Having listened to all 363 seconds of the crime against prog that is Songs From the Bilston House I was already considering turning it off. Then I was hit with the "your call is in a queue, please hold the line" intro to The Calm Absurd, by which point I felt like throwing my CD player out the window.

The Good: Luckily I didn't as this album has more than enough nice moments to make it worth sitting through. Guy Manning is one of the best neo-symphonic composers around, and the instrumental passages throughout just prove this. Even with an average track length of over seven minutes the majority of tracks are well structured and, at the very least, hold my attention.

The Bad: In addition to the aforementioned travesties, the vocals are abysmal and sound like a heavily intoxicated Ian Anderson. They are not only hard to listen to, but also detract from the overall effect, giving the release a raw and almost unfinished feel.

The Verdict: 2.999999... stars.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#439601) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 27, 2011

4 stars Anyone who likes the 1970s music of VAN MORRISON, JETHRO TULL, MARSHALL TUCKER BAND, DAVE MASON or even the ALLMAN BROTHERS will like the music of Guy Manning. My question is: Is this prog? To me, this sounds like straightforward bluesy rock'n'roll; there are no challenges or experimentations wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#308371) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, November 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Nine songs from a quirky house. 16 months ago, I got the last THE TANGENT album and I got hooked. Some months later, I spotted the cover of this album on ProgArchives and that intrigued me. I just got to have this album. I got it together with the other MANNING albums, but put it in the back ... (read more)

Report this review (#213741) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album has been in my player a hell of alot since it arrived! It is an exciting listen! From the moment you see the cover with its 'Psycho' like abandoned house and dramatic coastal waves you know this is going to be an interesting experience. The packaging is quite excellent but the mus ... (read more)

Report this review (#160054) | Posted by Topograph | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars How does Guy keep up to the standards set so highly by the previous release? Year after year he does it again & again. A lot to ask when you consider it's only about twelve months from start to finish of an album. I'm sure a lot of artists would find this pace impossible to keep up. Guy not only ... (read more)

Report this review (#160048) | Posted by Simon Jackson | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy did it again! Actually Guy exceeded it again. The new album, Songs from the Bilston House is stunning. Guy has developed his style keeping the playful songwriting attitude and yet creating a symphonic masterpiece. The music is beautiful, intrestingly complex and harmonically coherent. Stron ... (read more)

Report this review (#149264) | Posted by pirkka | Tuesday, November 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "Songs from the Bilston House"