SONGS FROM THE BILSTON HOUSE

Manning

Manning Songs from the Bilston House album cover

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Songs from the Bilston House (6:04)
2. The Calm Absurd (7:25)
3. Lost in Play (7:05)
4. Understudy (8:13)
5. Skimming Stones (7:19)
6. Antares (7:11)
7. Icarus & Me (5:54)
8. Pillars of Salt (10:36)
9. Inner Moment (7:33)

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House lyrics

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6 & 12, classical guitars, electric guitar, bouzouki, mandolins, bass, percussion
- Laura Fowles / saxes & vocals
- David Million / electric guitars
- Ian 'Walter' Fairbairn / fiddle
- Julie King / vocals

Guest musicians:
- Andy Tillison / drums, keyboards & vocals (courtesy of 'The Tangent')
- Steve Dundon / flute (courtesy of 'Molly Bloom')

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING Songs from the Bilston House Music

CHAIN, Matt Taylor, Phil Manning, Western Flyer lps, TOWARD THE BLUES, NM - MINT US $260.63 [0 bids]
51m 55s
LINDA MANNING - YOU'RE LOVING ME TO DEATH // SHADE TREE MECHANIC - ROULETTE EX US $3.80 [0 bids]
MANNING - AKOUSTIK - NEW CD US $14.93 Buy It Now 2h 5m
PHIL MANNING ROCK THIS BOAT 1990 CANADA ROCK LP SEALED US $14.99 [0 bids]
SF Seals "Still?" 7" OOP Barbara Manning vinyl US $8.99 Buy It Now 5h 25m
Clarity of Vision by Lynn Manning (CD, Aug-1994, New Alliance) US $3.77 [0 bids]
JIM KEAYS Boy From Stars Oz PROG LP Masters Apprentices 70s Vinyl PHIL MANNING US $59.99 Buy It Now 9h 29m
BERNARD MANNING mackeson surprise 7" flexi disc in pic slv uk - US $8.29 Buy It Now 10h 32m
MADELINE LP RUNNING FOR JESUS MADELINE MANNING JACKSON US $16.25 Buy It Now 14h 18m
45 RPM Vinyl Record Bob Manning, EAP 1-279, Capitol Records PS 45AME2 US $11.24 Buy It Now 14h 32m
B4 We Go Under Barbara Manning USA 7" vinyl single record TEENBEAT102 TEENBEAT US $14.75 Buy It Now 14h 41m
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Dayna Manning, Victoria Williams, US $4.99 Buy It Now 15h 6m
ROGER MANNING SELF TITLED ROCK LP MINT US $4.95 Buy It Now 15h 55m
Pop 45 Bob Manning - Gypsy Girl / The Nearness Of You On Capitol US $5.00 Buy It Now 18h 46m
NEW YORK the band LP 1982 JM001 JAY MANNING VG+ US $10.00 Buy It Now 20h 43m
Saint Louis Commissions, Manning, Rorem, Good US $13.95 Buy It Now 21h 4m
CAPITAL VIRTUOSI Jonathan Plowright Rita Manning Briony Shaw SOUND PROJECTS US $10.38 Buy It Now 22h 39m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $43.94 Buy It Now 23h 25m
FREE U.S.sh/$3 int'l sh ~ LIKE NEW CD Manning, Dayna: Shades Import US $30.95 Buy It Now 23h 25m
World Open Championships-Manning Bowl 1969-Volume 1-LP-Fleetwood-VG+ US $7.35 Buy It Now 1 day
Madeline Manning Jackson - Running for Jesus - Brand New LP in Orig Shrinkwrap US $23.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Bob Manning - Our Wedding Songs CD-R [CD New] US $12.98 Buy It Now 1 day
Manning - Akoustik [CD New] US $17.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Cass Mccombs - Bradley Manning [Vinyl New] US $9.48 Buy It Now 1 day
ROMANCE 40's Sheet music- from The DESERT SONG- DENNIS MORGAN,IRENE MANNING US $16.61 Buy It Now 1 day
SKIP MANNING - HAM 'N' EGGS - HOT CHUCK BERRY STYLE BLACK JIVER - REPRO US $11.61 Buy It Now 1 day
GET YOUR LOVING FROM ME 40's sheet music MANNING SHERWIN US $23.26 Buy It Now 1 day
The Network - Bishop Kent Manning - 2009 (NEW CD) US $17.01 Buy It Now 1 day
More Real Gone Girls - Linda Manning, Dottie Jones, Annie Wright, Peggy Upton ++ US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Bernard Manning(7" Vinyl)I Only Live With You-Decca-F 13511-UK-VG/Ex US $8.29 Buy It Now 1 day
BARBARA MANNING Don't let it bring you down US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Linda Manning TEEN ANSWER 45 (Rice 5010) The Girl From Saginaw Michigan US $10.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Mitch Manning EARLY R&R 45 (Cole 2) Tom Cat/Time Out For Love US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
SEALED 12"~BOOMKAT~[TARYN MANNING]~Dj QUIK~THUNDERPUSS~The Wreckoning~[x4 Mixes] US $4.97 Buy It Now 1 day
MARTY MANNING & The CHEETAHS Tarzan/Sunny 45 Rare Soul Mod Exotica HEAR US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
As Is by Renee Manning (CD) 717297001329 US $5.09 Buy It Now 1 day
BILL SNYDER & DICK MANNING - IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING // STATE FAIR - MINT- US $3.50 Buy It Now 1 day
GLASFORD MANNING - PROPHECY CALL \ VERSION 7"VG US $9.99 [0 bids]
LINDA MANNING (60's OBSCURE COUNTRY) ~ I FEEL A CRY COMING ON ~ RICE PROMO US $5.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Robinson, Peter Manning Phoenix Rising CD US $4.34 Buy It Now 2 days
EL PASO ROCK Vol. 7 Terry Manning & The Wild Ones LP NEW Bobby Fuller Stax VINYL US $14.89 Buy It Now 2 days
Various Artists,2-CD,Lilith Fair,Indigo Girls,Paula Cole,Dayna Manning,Tara MacL US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Terry Manning, 13th Floor Elevators, Red Crayola, Bubble Puppy - U.K. SEALED cd US $9.72 Buy It Now 2 days
CHAIN Aust Rhythm & Blues 1987 Oz Blues CASSETTE TAPE Matt Taylor, Phil Manning US $25.69 Buy It Now 2 days
BERNARD MANNING All Time 40 Singalong Party WW5001 LP VINYL RECORD EX/EX 10 US $7.46 Buy It Now 2 days
Peyton Manning, Randy Travis & Kenny Chesneyin "NFL Country" US $3.50 Buy It Now 2 days
JAMIE MANNING - WHAT REMAINS NEW CD US $19.68 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Dick Manning 45 Dancing Princess NM/Space Express Theme 1962 Promo Jazz 45 US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
FASCINATION Waltz Song - 40's Sheet Music - DICK MANNING & F.D.MARCHETTI US $19.94 Buy It Now 2 days
GLENN MILLER AEF BAND/DINAH SHORE/IRENE MANNING- LOST RECORDINGS 2-CD (36 TRKS) US $3.64 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING SMITH & TEXAS RHYTHM OUTLAWS LP - COLUMBIA CL564 Square Dancing US $24.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Linda Manning Talk Of The Town/Since They Fired The Band Director 45 RPM Mercury US $7.00 Buy It Now 2 days
LINDA MANNING Billy Christian VG+ 45 RPM US $0.01 [0 bids]
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Dayna Manning, Victoria Williams, US $4.99 Buy It Now 2 days
HARPER / MANNING / SCOTTISH CHAMBER ORCHESTRA - FANNY ROBIN NEW CD US $21.58 Buy It Now 2 days
Banjo Party with the Banjo Barons Marty Manning Columbia CS 8489 US $3.57 Buy It Now 2 days
MICHAEL MANNING Thonk CD steve morse ALEX SKOLNICK US $0.99 [0 bids]
MADELINE MANNING JACKSON ~ U.S. Olympic Champion ~ Running For Jesus ~ nm 12" LP US $7.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Dayna Manning, Vol. 1 by Dayna Manning; CD on Nettwerk Records; With Lyrics US $2.99 Buy It Now 2 days
History Of CHAIN 1974 Oz Blues/Rock 2 cassette tapes~ Matt Taylor, Phil Manning US $36.90 Buy It Now 3 days
Vintage 45 Record Bob Manning The Nearness of You/Gypsy Girl US $5.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Logan's Sanctuary Soundtrack Sealed 2000 Original Reitzell/Manning Jr. EMN7031 US $16.00 Buy It Now 3 days
BOBBY BRIGHT AUSSIE PRESSING 1976 ON RCA WITH LLOBBY LLOYD,PHIL MANNING ....... US $18.67 [1 bids]
Barbara Manning 1212 Indie-Folk-Rock CD Calexico LISTEN US $6.29 Buy It Now 3 days
Vintage Sheet Music: Takes Two To Tango. Geoff Brooke. Hoffman & Manning. US $4.67 Buy It Now 3 days
John Manning - White Bear JAPAN CD W/OBI Folk RARE #AG01 US $36.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ALMA COGAN - 50's Sheet Music - I CAN'T TELL A WALTZ FROM A TANGO - By Manning US $19.94 Buy It Now 3 days
LP VARIOUS "TERRY MANNING THE WILD ONES EL PASO ROCK VOL 7" NORTON ROCK N ROLL US $24.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Lilith Fair: A Celebration of Women in Music, Dayna Manning, Victoria Williams, US $6.36 Buy It Now 3 days
OLLIE WOTNOT PROMO/DJ 45 VG CINEMA RECORDS DICK MANNING US $2.99 [0 bids]
The_Network - Bishop Kent Manning (2011) CD NEW/SEALED SPEEDYPOST US $10.57 Buy It Now 3 days
CRAZY CAT GEORGE 2609 Manning CD TANYA GOOLSBY Jody Stroeh RICH ESTES 1996 US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
ROGER MANNING (JELLYFISH) - LOGAN'S SANTUARY - RARE CD US $8.31 [0 bids]
45 RPM Vinyl, Fran Allison Marty Manning I Love You So Much PROMO WLP 071318ame US $15.99 Buy It Now 3 days
VTG Vinyl LP Record 1971 JOHN MANNING White Bear C 30741 Folk USA Scratches US $4.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Ray Manning Singers 80s GOSPEL LP Look What Youre Missing 1981 USA ISSUE US $16.98 Buy It Now 3 days
JOHN MANNING-WHITE BEAR-JAPAN MINI LP CD Ltd/Ed F56 US $29.50 Buy It Now 3 days
BISHOP MANNING AND THE MANNING FAMILY CONVERTED MIND SOUL GOSPEL BIG LEGAL MESS US $11.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Jane Manning & Scottish Ope - Harper-Fanny Robin An Opera [CD New] US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
SCHOENBERG PIERROT LUMAIRE CHAMBER SYMPHONY MANNING CD US $17.99 Buy It Now 3 days
RARE LIVE TRX ROGER MANNING mark Curry JON DEE GRAHAM US $49.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Pat Thomas - Sonya Hunter - 33 RPM EP - Heyday Records - Barbara Manning - X-Tal US $3.99 Buy It Now 3 days
JIM MANNING Sings For Charity LP Private Ripcord NW SSW Chuck Barry Jim Croce NM US $19.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PATTY LARKIN-Tango-FOLK-Michael Manning-THONK-Brian MacCleod-John Gorka-ROCK-CD US $7.49 Buy It Now 3 days
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
28th Day 1985 LP Barbara Manning rare Chico sf seals paisley psych bay area !! US $35.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Linda Manning Turning Back The Pages Gaylord 6429 Promo 7" Country EX Single US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ECLIPSE-Lunacy-1995 FOX ROX MUSIC-Anthony Manning-MATT ZURAT-Jay Parisella-METAL US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
BARBARA MANNING sf seals 28th day WORLD OF POOH cd lp US $11.99 [0 bids]
Bernard Manning/Joe "Piano" Henderson's All 40 Singalong Party Hits Album LP US $15.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning : 1212 CD (1997) US $3.98 Buy It Now 4 days
Jesters Sing A Song of Peace Manning Ave 45 Hear it US $7.00 [0 bids]
LIBRARY?SYNTH?FUNK?DISCO Frank Ricotti, Paul Manning -Directions - RED BUS MUSIC US $12.99 Buy It Now 4 days
The Banjo Barons Play Golden Hawaiian Hits - Marty Manning - Vinyl Record US $2.99 [0 bids]
Kim Manning-Good People CD NEW US $16.32 Buy It Now 4 days
Manning - Akoustik CD Pop Rock US $20.02 Buy It Now 4 days
Manning John Rhoads Yi Yang - Four Corners CD US $18.29 Buy It Now 4 days
Manning Kim - Good People CD Pop Rock US $18.56 Buy It Now 4 days

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House ratings distribution

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars I´ve got to say I was never really a fan of Guy Manning´s solo career. Ok, I only knew two CDs of his prolific discography before tackling this one (One Small Step... and The View From My Window), and even then, I just did so because a good friend praised the CD a lot in the internet. I first heard of Manning through his work with The Tangent, a group I happen to like a lot. I bought One Small Step... because I wanted to know his work outside The Tangent and I was not moved. I tried again with The View... and I was not impressed either. It seemed that this singer/songwriter/multi instrumentalist was doing better being a part of a symphonic group than on his own. Of course my opinion changed radically when I started listening to Songs From the Bilston House.

From the fisrt notes of the title track I knew this was something to pay atention: great keys, fine melody line and very convincing perfomance by all involved. Was it a fluke? I asked myself. The second song was equally good, although totally different is style (it reminds me a lot of The Tangent´s Lost In London). Third track: one of those few songs that is worth the price of the album alone . Lost In Play has everything you wish in a classic: an unforgetable riff, a beautiful melody line, inspired lyrics, breathtaking arrangements and a powerful delivering that makes you press the repeat button again and again. This is, needless to say, the CD´s Highlight. Of course the remaining songs aren´t as good as this one, but still they are equally inspired, varied and very well done.

After some repeated listenings I can say this is a fine piece of prog music. Manning combines classic rock, celtic folk and symphonic prog (plus some jazzy and bossa nova overtones here and there) into a very distinctive style that sounds both original and familiar. His vocals are not really outstanding, but work very well within the context of his songs. The playing is awesome, all musicians are very skilled (including some help form The Tangent´s fellow member Andy Tillson and Molly Blum´s flutist Steve Dundon ). The arrangements are very tasteful and precise, with all the instruments falling nicely into place. The production is top notch. But most of all the songwriting is the key: Guy Manning is in great form here, inspired and passionate all the way through the CD.

I guess I´ll have to hear his other CDs with a new perspective. Songs From The Bilston Houser, however, is an excellent prog record on its own and a fine addtition to any prog lover collection. final rating: something between 4 and 4,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#229886) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Don't judge an album by its opener...

Having listened to all 363 seconds of the crime against prog that is Songs From the Bilston House I was already considering turning it off. Then I was hit with the "your call is in a queue, please hold the line" intro to The Calm Absurd, by which point I felt like throwing my CD player out the window.

The Good: Luckily I didn't as this album has more than enough nice moments to make it worth sitting through. Guy Manning is one of the best neo-symphonic composers around, and the instrumental passages throughout just prove this. Even with an average track length of over seven minutes the majority of tracks are well structured and, at the very least, hold my attention.

The Bad: In addition to the aforementioned travesties, the vocals are abysmal and sound like a heavily intoxicated Ian Anderson. They are not only hard to listen to, but also detract from the overall effect, giving the release a raw and almost unfinished feel.

The Verdict: 2.999999... stars.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#439601) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 27, 2011

4 stars Anyone who likes the 1970s music of VAN MORRISON, JETHRO TULL, MARSHALL TUCKER BAND, DAVE MASON or even the ALLMAN BROTHERS will like the music of Guy Manning. My question is: Is this prog? To me, this sounds like straightforward bluesy rock'n'roll; there are no challenges or experimentations wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#308371) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, November 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Nine songs from a quirky house. 16 months ago, I got the last THE TANGENT album and I got hooked. Some months later, I spotted the cover of this album on ProgArchives and that intrigued me. I just got to have this album. I got it together with the other MANNING albums, but put it in the back ... (read more)

Report this review (#213741) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album has been in my player a hell of alot since it arrived! It is an exciting listen! From the moment you see the cover with its 'Psycho' like abandoned house and dramatic coastal waves you know this is going to be an interesting experience. The packaging is quite excellent but the mus ... (read more)

Report this review (#160054) | Posted by Topograph | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars How does Guy keep up to the standards set so highly by the previous release? Year after year he does it again & again. A lot to ask when you consider it's only about twelve months from start to finish of an album. I'm sure a lot of artists would find this pace impossible to keep up. Guy not only ... (read more)

Report this review (#160048) | Posted by Simon Jackson | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy did it again! Actually Guy exceeded it again. The new album, Songs from the Bilston House is stunning. Guy has developed his style keeping the playful songwriting attitude and yet creating a symphonic masterpiece. The music is beautiful, intrestingly complex and harmonically coherent. Stron ... (read more)

Report this review (#149264) | Posted by pirkka | Tuesday, November 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "Songs from the Bilston House"