SONGS FROM THE BILSTON HOUSE

Manning

Manning Songs from the Bilston House album cover

Buy MANNING Music
Studio Album, released in 2007

1. Songs from the Bilston House (6:04)
2. The Calm Absurd (7:25)
3. Lost in Play (7:05)
4. Understudy (8:13)
5. Skimming Stones (7:19)
6. Antares (7:11)
7. Icarus & Me (5:54)
8. Pillars of Salt (10:36)
9. Inner Moment (7:33)

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House lyrics

Search MANNING Songs from the Bilston House tabs

- Guy Manning / vocals, keyboards, acoustic 6 & 12, classical guitars, electric guitar, bouzouki, mandolins, bass, percussion
- Laura Fowles / saxes & vocals
- David Million / electric guitars
- Ian 'Walter' Fairbairn / fiddle
- Julie King / vocals

Guest musicians:
- Andy Tillison / drums, keyboards & vocals (courtesy of 'The Tangent')
- Steve Dundon / flute (courtesy of 'Molly Bloom')

and to LiquidEternity for the last updates

MANNING MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy MANNING Songs from the Bilston House Music

One Small StepOne Small Step
ProgRock Records 2005
Barbara Manning Calexico Jim O'Rourke CD / Alt Country US $6.29 Buy It Now 2h 45m
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning CD NEW US $0.99 [0 bids]
BRIAN MANNING mixed bag LP 13 track but sleeve has ringwear (srt73338) uk srt 0 US $8.15 Buy It Now 4h 34m
RCA 12" 78/John C. Thomas feat. Hope Manning/My Hero/The Chocolate Soldier/E+ US $3.20 Buy It Now 5h 50m
BECK & ROGER JOSEPH MANNING Tropicalia w/ MOBY GRAPE TRK 2UNRELEASE UK CD Single US $19.99 Buy It Now 7h 10m
Phil Manning--Rock This Boat 1990 Canadian XIAN Vinyl LP Record US $9.00 Buy It Now 7h 24m
MANNING SMITH & TEXAS RHYTHM OUTLAWS LP - COLUMBIA CL564 Square Dancing US $23.95 [0 bids]
Marv Manning Big Shoes/Lonesome 45 RPM Coin Records VG+ US $45.00 Buy It Now 8h 30m
Gelber & Manning - Moonlight Picnic [CD New] US $19.98 Buy It Now 10h 21m
Gruntz/Chotjewitz/Murphy/Manning/Newton - Magic Of A Flute [CD New] US $22.46 Buy It Now 11h 23m
WAHNDER LUST-KIM MANNING Good People+LANTZ LAZWELL-SIGNATURE SERIES 2 CD-SIGNED US $6.99 [0 bids]
MATT TAYLOR & PHIL MANNING BAND Oz Blues RARE Private Press '81 LP FULL MOON US $79.00 Buy It Now 14h 54m
LP, Bob Manning Sings, The Nearness of You, Jicko 8301, VG++ US $8.00 Buy It Now 22h 52m
PHIL MANNING - manning - RARE OZ LP US $40.53 Buy It Now 1 day
Barbara Manning 1212 Double Vinyl LP Sealed ! O'Rourke US $59.99 Buy It Now 1 day
BOB MANNING CAPITOL 50's LAUGHTER CAME TEARS US $0.99 [0 bids]
Bernard Manning(Vinyl LP)40 All Time Singalong Party Hits-Warwick-Ex/VG US $9.78 Buy It Now 1 day
John Manning Test Pressing LP White Bear 1971 SSW Mint- US $74.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Sarah Manning - Harmonious Creature [CD New] US $16.80 Buy It Now 1 day
MANNING, Joe/JOAN SHELLEY - Outside Stay Outside - 7" US $16.72 Buy It Now 1 day
SF Seals Still 7" Matador Barbara Manning US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
NETWORK THE - BISHOP KENT MANNING - 398414764CD US $10.40 Buy It Now 1 day
Los Angeles Jazz Quartet/Chuck Manning/Larry Koonse- Conversation Piece CD 1999 US $5.42 Buy It Now 1 day
BERNARD MANNING "THE MACKESON SURPRISE" RARE PROMO FLEXIDISC EX / EX US $3.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Joan Manning 20th Century Mono LP 1964 US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
? River City Street Band (Enterprise 1024) ('71) Terry Manning: Moog Synthesizer US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Framable Sheet Music Somebody Stole My Gal Ukelele Fredrick Manning US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Imperial Drag - Imperial Drag, Roger Joseph Manning Jr PROMO ADVANCE CD NEW SEAL US $8.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning one perfect blanket cd indie rock US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
FARMER JOHN RABBITS RUN AUSTRALIAN LP 70s COUNTRY BLUES ROCK CADD RUDD MANNING US $88.66 Buy It Now 1 day
MICHAEL MANNING Thonk CD steve morse ALEX SKOLNICK US $0.99 [0 bids]
Rare SST Acoustic CD 91 Roger Manning Brian Ritchie Screaming Trees Dinosaur JR. US $9.99 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING 45 MAJORCA / IT'S YOUR LIFE CAPITOL 3041 WHITE LABEL PROMO US $5.00 Buy It Now 1 day
EARL MANNING I WANNA PLAY FOR YOU BEAR /COLLECT CALL FOR SHUG RARE ORIGINAL VG US $2.99 [0 bids]
DENNIS BROWN - TRIBULATION / DUB / GLADSTONE MANNING - PROPHECY CALL 10" ?? US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
TARYN MANNING cd white girl rap BOOMKAT boom kat THE WRECKONING single DJ QUIK US $8.99 [0 bids]
Manning Barbara Lately I Keep Scissors LP NM 28th day chico sf orig paisley rare US $52.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Network - Bishop Kent Manning [Vinyl New] US $14.25 Buy It Now 1 day
Ziggy Elman & His Orchestra "1947" CIRCLE MONO JAZZ LP BOB MANNING & V. MAXEY US $22.99 Buy It Now 2 days
La Jazz Quartet/Manning/Koonse : Conversation Piece CD (1999) US $8.13 Buy It Now 2 days
MANNING SMITH 78 RPM & SLEEVE - Southern Medley US $16.50 [0 bids]
BERNARD MANNING All Time 40 Singalong Party 1975 UK Vinyl LP EXCELLENT CONDITION US $7.33 Buy It Now 2 days
Train PAT MONAHAN w/ Roger Manning JELLYFISH Buddy Holly TRK PROMO DJ CD single US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Barbara Manning Sings With the Original Artists by Barbara Manning (CD,... US $0.99 [0 bids]
BOB MANNING, " MY LOVE SONG TO YOU " US $3.00 [0 bids]
Terry Manning - Home Sweet Home 180G LP REISSUE NEW Ardent Stax producer Memphis US $16.82 Buy It Now 2 days
JOAN MANNING: American Debut LP (some cw, sl corner bend) Vocalists US $18.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Manning~Orig OZ ST LP NM 1978 Phil Manning Chain Blues Rock Captain Matchbox US $18.05 [0 bids]
NETWORK - BISHOP KENT MANNING NEW VINYL US $20.66 Buy It Now 2 days
GRUNTZ / CHOTJEWITZ / MURPHY / MANNING / NEWTON - MAGIC OF A FLUTE NEW CD US $38.34 Buy It Now 2 days
Rare Country 45-Linda Manning-Completely Lose Control-Fraternity-#4890-M- US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
LUYTENS / MANNING / LANE'S MINSTRELS / MONTGOMERY - CHAMBER CONCERTO 2 / NEW CD US $25.35 Buy It Now 2 days
PHIL MANNING I Wish There Was A Way 1974 OZ 45 - CHAIN US $13.12 Buy It Now 2 days
MONTGOMERY/MANNING/JANES MINST - PAYNE:DAY IN LIFE OF A MAYFLY [CD NEW] US $14.50 Buy It Now 2 days
OLLIE WOTNOT PROMO/DJ 45 VG CINEMA RECORDS DICK MANNING US $2.99 [0 bids]
Charles Manning & His Granada Orch Schuberts Unfinished 10" 78 Rpm Gramophone US $19.57 Buy It Now 3 days
Converted Mind: The Early Recordings * by Bishop Manning (CD, Mar-2011, Big... US $5.99 [0 bids]
TERRY MANNING - HOME SWEET HOME - USA ORIGINAL ENTERPRISE - BIG STAR CHRIS BELL US $39.99 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning & Seymour Glass - February 8, 1992 - 7" 45rpm Majora US $22.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LINDA MANNING - YOU'RE LOVING ME TO DEATH // SHADE TREE MECHANIC - ROULETTE EX US $3.30 [0 bids]
PAYNE / MANNING / NASH ENSEMBLE / BRADSHAW - PHOENIX MASS NEW CD US $25.35 Buy It Now 3 days
SARAH MANNING - DANDELION CLOCK [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $12.68 Buy It Now 3 days
MANNING SMITH: Square Dancing (country vinyl LP) US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Barbara Manning : 1212 CD (1997) US $22.85 Buy It Now 3 days
BOB MANNING All I desire / The nearness of you 78 CAPITOL CL13958 US $21.21 Buy It Now 3 days
1971 Ric Martinez Archie Fever Before/After the Game New Orleans Saints Manning US $7.00 [0 bids]
TV EYES cd Jason Falkner Roger Manning Brian Reitzell JAPAN (Jellyfish) US $29.99 [0 bids]
Valentine Magazine 24 June 1972 Slade Katy Manning US $40.81 Buy It Now 3 days
NETWORK - BISHOP KENT MANNING NEW CD US $16.45 Buy It Now 3 days
Marty Manning & The Cheetahs Sunny / Tarzan March Columbia 43749 VG 45 Promo US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Chuck Manning - Notes From The Real [CD New] US $15.98 Buy It Now 3 days
Skip Manning Ham N Eggs/Devil Blues RnB Blues Vinyl 45 Listen US $11.41 Buy It Now 3 days
Matthew Manning - Waltzin' an Angel (1996) US $14.68 Buy It Now 4 days
MAW / MILNER / MANNING / PALMER / HOWELLS - MUSIC FOR VOICES & ORCHESTRA NEW CD US $21.64 Buy It Now 4 days
NETWORK THE - BISHOP KENT MANNING COLORED VINYL Punk US $13.00 Buy It Now 4 days
Pierrot Lunaire/Chamber Sinf.1 - Jane Manning New & Sealed Compact Disc Free Shi US $26.94 Buy It Now 4 days
JOHN MANNING WHITE BEAR 1971 VINYL LP ALBUM RECORD COLUMBIA C 30741 FOLK COUNTRY US $19.99 Buy It Now 4 days
SAN FRANCISCO SEALS - No Where (1994) MATADOR Barbara Manning US $9.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Double Fiddle Time - CD Lisa Manning & Derek Deakins 2004 Bobby Osborne Reels US $4.44 Buy It Now 4 days
MAX GOMEZ Rule the World SEALED CD w/ SHAWN MULLINS Roger Manning GREG LEISZ US $7.99 Buy It Now 4 days
BARBARA MANNING IN NEW ZEALAND LP World of Pooh Calexico The Clean Tall Dwarfs US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
"7"-Barbara Manning-Don't let it Bring you down '90 punk forced exposure US $9.99 [0 bids]
45 rpm-Bill Snyder/Dick Manning-Might As Well Be Spring/Fanny-ABC 10225 US $1.25 [0 bids]
TARYN MANNING HAND SIGNED WITH COA ORIGINAL 8X10 PHOTO ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK US $72.38 [0 bids]
The Ray Manning Singers Songstylists On A Mission CASSETTE TAPE! US $7.19 Buy It Now 4 days
BOB MANNING - My Love Song To You / After My Laughter Came Tears CAPITOL 78rpm US $7.95 Buy It Now 4 days
MANNING SMITH/RHYTHM OUTLAWS of TEXAS--PICTURE SLEEVE + 45-SQUARE DANCE--PS-PIC US $11.99 Buy It Now 4 days
28th Day - self titled S/T 1985 LP Barbara Manning, Cole Marquis EX+ 1st press US $17.50 Buy It Now 4 days
John Manning White Bear 1971 Album VG/VG+ RARE Columbia C 30741 Folk Country US $124.99 [0 bids]
MANNING SMITH SQUARE DANCING COLUMBIA LP US $25.95 Buy It Now 4 days
Cass McCombs - Bradley Manning / Empty Promises 7" w/ postcard US $4.99 Buy It Now 4 days
Volume 1 by Manning, Dayna US $2.79 Buy It Now 5 days
Roger Manning Alternative Folk SST LP 1988 with Insert US $12.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Barbara Manning Forced Exposure 7" Rare! US $25.00 Buy It Now 5 days
LINDA MANNING"IF THERE'S NOT A HEAVEN/MONO"1970 DJ HEAR US $4.00 Buy It Now 5 days
THE RAY MANNING SINGERS-Look What You're Missing-GOSPEL US $12.99 Buy It Now 5 days
JOHN MANNING, Music Belongs To The People, Mono/Stereo Columbia Promo 45! RARE! US $5.00 [0 bids]
Barbara Manning W/ Flophouse B4 We Go Under US $17.00 Buy It Now 5 days
Dayna Manning : Volume 1 CD (1997) US $5.77 Buy It Now 5 days
ROCKABILLY 45 ~ REBEL ROUSERS - BALLAD of ARCHIE MANNING *hear* US $39.99 [0 bids]

More places to buy MANNING music online Buy MANNING & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for MANNING DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House ratings distribution

MANNING Songs from the Bilston House reviews

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Iīve got to say I was never really a fan of Guy Manningīs solo career. Ok, I only knew two CDs of his prolific discography before tackling this one (One Small Step... and The View From My Window), and even then, I just did so because a good friend praised the CD a lot in the internet. I first heard of Manning through his work with The Tangent, a group I happen to like a lot. I bought One Small Step... because I wanted to know his work outside The Tangent and I was not moved. I tried again with The View... and I was not impressed either. It seemed that this singer/songwriter/multi instrumentalist was doing better being a part of a symphonic group than on his own. Of course my opinion changed radically when I started listening to Songs From the Bilston House.

From the fisrt notes of the title track I knew this was something to pay atention: great keys, fine melody line and very convincing perfomance by all involved. Was it a fluke? I asked myself. The second song was equally good, although totally different is style (it reminds me a lot of The Tangentīs Lost In London). Third track: one of those few songs that is worth the price of the album alone . Lost In Play has everything you wish in a classic: an unforgetable riff, a beautiful melody line, inspired lyrics, breathtaking arrangements and a powerful delivering that makes you press the repeat button again and again. This is, needless to say, the CDīs Highlight. Of course the remaining songs arenīt as good as this one, but still they are equally inspired, varied and very well done.

After some repeated listenings I can say this is a fine piece of prog music. Manning combines classic rock, celtic folk and symphonic prog (plus some jazzy and bossa nova overtones here and there) into a very distinctive style that sounds both original and familiar. His vocals are not really outstanding, but work very well within the context of his songs. The playing is awesome, all musicians are very skilled (including some help form The Tangentīs fellow member Andy Tillson and Molly Blumīs flutist Steve Dundon ). The arrangements are very tasteful and precise, with all the instruments falling nicely into place. The production is top notch. But most of all the songwriting is the key: Guy Manning is in great form here, inspired and passionate all the way through the CD.

I guess Iīll have to hear his other CDs with a new perspective. Songs From The Bilston Houser, however, is an excellent prog record on its own and a fine addtition to any prog lover collection. final rating: something between 4 and 4,5 stars.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#229886) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Review by Starhammer
2 stars Don't judge an album by its opener...

Having listened to all 363 seconds of the crime against prog that is Songs From the Bilston House I was already considering turning it off. Then I was hit with the "your call is in a queue, please hold the line" intro to The Calm Absurd, by which point I felt like throwing my CD player out the window.

The Good: Luckily I didn't as this album has more than enough nice moments to make it worth sitting through. Guy Manning is one of the best neo-symphonic composers around, and the instrumental passages throughout just prove this. Even with an average track length of over seven minutes the majority of tracks are well structured and, at the very least, hold my attention.

The Bad: In addition to the aforementioned travesties, the vocals are abysmal and sound like a heavily intoxicated Ian Anderson. They are not only hard to listen to, but also detract from the overall effect, giving the release a raw and almost unfinished feel.

The Verdict: 2.999999... stars.

Send comments to Starhammer (BETA) | Report this review (#439601) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, April 27, 2011

4 stars Anyone who likes the 1970s music of VAN MORRISON, JETHRO TULL, MARSHALL TUCKER BAND, DAVE MASON or even the ALLMAN BROTHERS will like the music of Guy Manning. My question is: Is this prog? To me, this sounds like straightforward bluesy rock'n'roll; there are no challenges or experimentations wi ... (read more)

Report this review (#308371) | Posted by BrufordFreak | Friday, November 05, 2010 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Nine songs from a quirky house. 16 months ago, I got the last THE TANGENT album and I got hooked. Some months later, I spotted the cover of this album on ProgArchives and that intrigued me. I just got to have this album. I got it together with the other MANNING albums, but put it in the back ... (read more)

Report this review (#213741) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Monday, May 04, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album has been in my player a hell of alot since it arrived! It is an exciting listen! From the moment you see the cover with its 'Psycho' like abandoned house and dramatic coastal waves you know this is going to be an interesting experience. The packaging is quite excellent but the mus ... (read more)

Report this review (#160054) | Posted by Topograph | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars How does Guy keep up to the standards set so highly by the previous release? Year after year he does it again & again. A lot to ask when you consider it's only about twelve months from start to finish of an album. I'm sure a lot of artists would find this pace impossible to keep up. Guy not only ... (read more)

Report this review (#160048) | Posted by Simon Jackson | Monday, January 28, 2008 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Guy did it again! Actually Guy exceeded it again. The new album, Songs from the Bilston House is stunning. Guy has developed his style keeping the playful songwriting attitude and yet creating a symphonic masterpiece. The music is beautiful, intrestingly complex and harmonically coherent. Stron ... (read more)

Report this review (#149264) | Posted by pirkka | Tuesday, November 06, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of MANNING "Songs from the Bilston House"