Phrozenlight - April 2006 CD (album) cover

APRIL 2006

Phrozenlight

Progressive Electronic

colorofmoney91
4 stars April 2006, despite its unimaginative title, is another win for Phrozenlight. Out of all of the releases I've heard so far from Phrozenlight, this album is the most reminiscent of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra era, but not entirely. April 2006 has an seems to me like it includes some electronic experiments that are new to this particular artist, such as sequenced melodies in the bass register, alien/whale-like moans, didgeridoo-type growls, and depressive synthesized cello sounds in addition to the synthesized distant-choir effect. The last track, "Dark Nebula", has a lot of great dissonance that really makes the track stand out, but it maintains a darkly beautiful feel. The only track that I don't care too much for is "Bursting Clouds", which is mostly just a steady ambush of strong wind, and actually is convincing of its title. I guess I'm just not into that kind of thing.

Overall, this is another good free release from Phrozenlight. I've been dissatisfied with some of the previous efforts, but the music is now starting to look up. Definitely a pleasant, dark ambient album.

colorofmoney91 | 4/5 |