Camel - Rain Dances CD (album) cover

2 stars I found this album a deep disappointment after 4 wonderful albums released before the Camel ("Camel" , "Mirage" , "The Snow Goose" and "Moonmadness"). The departure of bassist Doug Ferguson affected the whole chemistry of the band, and new members Richard Sinclair (bass and vocals on "Tell Me"and "Unevensong") and Mel Collins (sax) are perhaps responsible for the change of sound, pop-oriented (although they are prodigious musicians).

The first three track are excellent and without doubt the highlight of the album, but from "Highways of the Sun" things worsen.The keyboards of Bardens are less attractive, and you can only hear the flute in some corners of the Latimer album.

Definitely "Rain Dances"is the weakest album of the Camel that I've heard so far and I would give 1 star if not for the first three tracks.Because of them my final assessment is two stars.

voliveira | 2/5 |