The Ocean - Precambrian CD (album) cover

PRECAMBRIAN

The Ocean

Experimental/Post Metal

Starhammer
2 stars "We've done two already and now we're steady..."

The Good: Neoarchaean. And some nice artwork.

The Bad: You know those lukewarm showers that go on forever and only heat up for a couple of seconds at a time to lure you into a false sense of hope... well German band The Ocean have turned that experience into a double album.

I heard these guys supporting Opeth along with Cynic a couple of years ago and my overbearing memory of the performance was trying to stop my trousers from falling down as a result of the earth-shattering double-bass drumming. Decided to check out their most celebrated material and after sitting through the full 83 minutes on multiple occasions I can only describe the experience as a chore. I'm no stranger to longer albums but a certain level of variation is necessary. What's on show here just seems incredibly generic.

The Verdict: Feels like 3,000 million years.

Starhammer | 2/5 |