Anathema - The Silent Enigma CD (album) cover

Experimental/Post Metal

2 stars Silent Enigma ? 1995 (2.4/5 almost 3 stars) 8 ? Best Song: ?Alone?

Have you acclimated yourself with the up and coming gothic rock phase? Well don't sweat it that much, I've been here and I've been there, and I for sure haven't found anything otherworldly. Usually the group will stipulate as to whether or not they should supplement their braindead hard metal hammering at a snail's pace with quieter, softer moments of 'prettiness', and prettiness is in quotations, because when I think of beauty, those first fifty seconds of 'Restless Oblivion' aren't what come to mind. It isn't enough to make unsubtly unappealing music that seeks to whack you over the skull with despair ? acting on a purely aesthetic level, without regard to sense and wit. You must comprehend the difference between aesthetic brutality and emotional trauma. All these death and doom and black metal groups pound away for ages with the loudest, most non-PC lyrics about making gods cry and other such generic nonsense. Pick up a book like Night by Elie Wiesel, and you might see some brutality ? this other stuff here is less than a kindergarten game in deep hues of red, grey, pale, and the ever-present black. My goal? To draw a smiley face on every death metal album in existence ? for justice.

Step two for the discerning, but visionless black metal group is to incorporate spoken word monologues and undistorted sadness dirges in the middle of their superheavy blabbering. They resort to acoustic guitars and atmospheric one-note keyboard floods because they assume it means they're 'smarter'. It's a sham, and so is '?Alone', and so is Sam.

Alitare | 2/5 |