THE SILENT ENIGMA

Anathema The Silent Enigma album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. Restless Oblivion (8:03)
2. Shroud of Frost (7:31)
3. ...Alone (4:23)
4. Sunset of Age (6:56)
5. Nocturnal Emission (4:20)
6. Cerulean Twilight (7:05)
7. The Silent Enigma (4:24)
8. A Dying Wish (8:11)

- Daniel Cavanagh / guitar
- Duncan Patterson / bass
- John Douglas/ drums and percussion

Fierce 11109

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma Music

KSCOPE 2011
The Silent EnigmaThe Silent Enigma
Extra tracks
Peaceville UK 2003
MY DYING BRIDE LIKE GODS OF THE SUN LP + INSERT 1996 PEACEVILLE anathema opeth US $79.99 Buy It Now 1h 9m
Dawn Of Ashes - Anathema CD US $17.89 Buy It Now 1h 28m
Anathema - Original Album Classics CD US $18.96 Buy It Now 1h 33m
Anathema - Untouchable Vinyl Record LP US $37.47 Buy It Now 1h 49m
ANATHEMA - PENTECOST 3 - CDVILED51 US $15.29 Buy It Now 2h 6m
ANATHEMA - The Crestfallen EP [Vinyl LP, Original 1st pressing, SIGNED!] rare US $49.00 [0 bids]
IN LOVING MEMORY - Tragedy & Moon CD 2008 Orig Anathema My Dying Bride Tiamat US $7.77 [0 bids]
Anathema - Judgement - 1999 Cassette US $10.00 Buy It Now 3h 44m
Anathema-Untouchable (rare pic disc vinyl) Record Store Day SEALED US $29.99 Buy It Now 4h 10m
CELESTIAL SEASON EMBROIDED PATCH DOOM METAL PARADISE LOST ANATHEMA Metal Negro US $6.99 Buy It Now 5h 24m
MY DYING BRIDE Like Gods of the Sun, Import, doom, lost, anathema, opeth, slayer US $2.99 [0 bids]
DRACONIAN - RARE LIVE IN TEL AVIV FLYER 2009 ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 5h 48m
Anathema - Eternity [Vinyl New] US $28.67 Buy It Now 6h 2m
Silent Enigma [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, May-2003,... US $11.01 Buy It Now 6h 8m
Anathema: The Silent Enigma CD 1997 Mayhem Fierce 11109-2 Original NEW US $11.95 Buy It Now 6h 50m
Anathema The Silent Enigma (CD, 1997, Fierce) Classic death/doom metal US $10.99 Buy It Now 7h 44m
SEVERED HEAD OF STATE Anathema Device CD PuNk crust deathreat warcry tragedy sds US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 5m
Anathema - Eternity US $12.00 Buy It Now 8h 23m
Knives of Neptune CD LOT - Aussie Alchemist Cave In Anathema Space Rock OOP US $47.07 [0 bids]
Anathema - Alternative 4 - Cassette US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 36m
Anathema - Universal (NEW CD & DVD) US $25.02 Buy It Now 11h 8m
Anathema - Falling Deeper (NEW CD) US $20.78 Buy It Now 11h 18m
Weather Systems - Anathema US $11.03 Buy It Now 14h 2m
PARADISE LOST: Faith Divides Us, My Dying Bride, Anathema, Sentenced, Insomnium US $6.66 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Falling Deeper BRAND NEW 2011 LIMITED ON DIJIPACK US $8.99 Buy It Now 15h 50m
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $20.20 Buy It Now 19h 23m
ANATHEMA Universal BIG POSTER !!! Marillion/IQ/Porcupine/Steven Wilson/Gazpacho US $5.55 [1 bids]
ANATHEMA -A Fine Day to Exit CD,Amorphis,Katatonia,Opeth,My Dying Bride,Agalloch US $5.18 [2 bids]
ANATHEMA WEATHER SYTEMS CD ALBUM DISPLAY FREE P+P!! US $67.81 Buy It Now 23h 9m
Anathema - Serenades (NEW CD) US $15.68 Buy It Now 1 day
DAWN OF ASHES - ANATHEMA NEW CD US $22.52 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "Pentecost III" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!!! US $16.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Judgement CD 1999 Music For Nations dark metal US $12.99 Buy It Now 1 day
GUEHENOM RARE CD CANDLEMASS ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST MOONBLOOD CATHEDRAL DOWN US $18.00 [0 bids]
This Misery Garden-Cornerstone cd new Katatonia Tool Paradise Lost Anathema US $13.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Hindsight [Vinyl New] US $29.48 Buy It Now 1 day
MOURNING BELOVETH-A DISEASE FOR THE AGES-CD-anathema-my dying bride-doom-death US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "THEY DIE / CRESTFALLEN" 7"EP. Cat.WIHU9205 LIMITED FIRST EDITION US $65.00 [0 bids]
Anathema - Silent Enigma Dig CD US $15.55 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Falling Deeper CD US $16.37 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "Alternative 4" / "The Crestfallen" CD (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "Resonance" 2 CD SET (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "Judgement"/"Live In Krakow: Vol 2" CD (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "A Fine Day To Exit/Pentecost III: Vol 2" CD (Death/Progressive Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "The Silent Enigma/Pentecost III: Vol 1" CD (Death/Progressive Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "Serenades" / "Promos" CD (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) KATATONIA US $7.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA "Eternity" / "Live In Krakow: Vol 1" CD (Death/Doom/Progressive Metal) US $7.99 [0 bids]
M.E.O. anathema 12" RECORD MEO LIMITED EDITION US $9.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Falling Deeper ANATHEMA LIMITED Digipack CD ( FREE SHIPPING) US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day
0303 italo ATAHUALPA IN NOMINE PATRIS - ANATHEMA Prod Collino Pizzul Pinosa 2x12 US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Pentecost III LP ( The Gathering - Tiamat - Novembers Doom ) US $33.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Eternity Vinyl Record LP US $37.47 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "Serenades" ORG 1st VILECD press RARE OOP!!! US $29.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.76 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS [ANATHEMA] [802644820927] - NEW CD US $17.92 Buy It Now 2 days
NECARE-RUIN-CD-doom-death-anathema-my dying bride-mourning beloveth US $12.99 Buy It Now 2 days
RIVERSIDE "RAPID EYE MOVEMENT" CD porcupine tree anathema US $14.99 [0 bids]
RIVERSIDE "ADHD + LIVE IN AMSTERDAM" CD + DVD porcupine tree anathema US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE GARDNERZ Embroidered Logo PATCH My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Anathema US $5.39 Buy It Now 2 days
ENDLESS - PERIHELION CD 1999 Red Black Rare OOP Katatonia Anathema US $5.00 [0 bids]
Dies Irae - "Ethereal" CD (OPETH, ANATHEMA ) GREAT CD US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST - Gothic CD 1991 Rare OOP Katatonia Anathema US $15.00 [0 bids]
Anathema: Serenades CD 2003 Bonus Tks Peaceville CDVILED 34 Super Jewel Box NEW US $13.95 Buy It Now 2 days
Alastis Unity Cd 1st Press 2001 Century Media Black Metal Black/Gothic Anathema US $18.50 Buy It Now 2 days
New sealed The Silent Enigma by Anathema CD, album 1997, Fierce recordings US $10.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema "Falling Deeper" CD **Free Shipping** US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
MARCHE FUNEBRE-TO DROWN-CD-dark-anathema-my dying bride-katatonia-doom-death US $9.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema "Hindsight" CD (Kscope/Snapper Music, 2008) **Free Shipping** US $17.39 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA DISTANT SATELLITES Steven Wilson ? JAPAN CD + BLU-RAY AUDIO US $46.80 Buy It Now 2 days
KATATONIA FOR FUNERALS TO COME CD 1995 AV009 anathema my dying bride opeth US $26.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Srenades (2003) - New - Compact Disc US $9.15 Buy It Now 3 days
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Kscope) US $9.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Falling Deeper [CD New] US $11.92 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA FALLING DEEPER SEALED CD NEW 2011 US $5.70 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST ICON G/F 2LP + POSTER SIGNED original 1995 MFN anathema opeth US $114.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Eternity 1996 Peaceville Metal OOP Rare Digipack US $9.99 [0 bids]
HEDON CRIES - Affliction's Fiction (CD 2007) Anathema My Dying Bride Saturnus US $12.99 Buy It Now 3 days
LOT 9 DVD DEICIDE KATAKLYSM MACABRE MUNICIPAL WASTE ANATHEMA MALEVOLENT CREATION US $45.00 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST Icon LIMITED DIGI 1993 Music For Nations My Dying Bride Anathema US $55.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CD 1995 GLOBUS My Dying Bride Paradise Lost Gathering US $39.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - A MOMENT IN TIME 2006 METAL MIND DVD Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE 2002 DVD PEACEVILLE Shipping is 7 usd US $8.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - A VISION OF A DYING EMBRACE - *NEW DVD* *SEALED* US $7.57 Buy It Now 3 days
EDEN HOUSE Half Life: Fields of the Nephilim Anathema Mission Roxy Music 180g LP US $22.05 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema-A Natural Disaster CD CD Excellent US $13.99 Buy It Now 3 days
KATATONIA Embroidered Logo PATCH Opeth Bloodbath Anathema US $5.39 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Original Album Classics (NEW CD) US $18.23 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema - Fine Day to Exit (2006) US $8.47 Buy It Now 3 days
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
Falling Deeper by Anathema (CD, Sep-2011, Icarus/Kscope) US $7.00 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA Serenades + Extra Tracks CD 1993 Peaceville/Futurist my dying bride US $5.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Pentecost III CD 1995 Peaceville/Fierce paradise lost doom metal 3 US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Eternity CD Digipak doom metal goth katatonia my dying bride prog US $3.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA Judgement CD goth katatonia my dying bride prog rock pink floyd US $3.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma ratings distribution

ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Meet the new vocalist, same as the old vocalist.

In my review of "Serenades", I was somewhat scathing of the vocals which were not so much a weak point, as a complete disaster. It was therefore with some optimism that I noted that Darren White was no longer with the band, Vincent Cavenagh having assumed vocal duties.

Unfortunately, Cavenagh "sings" in exactly the same way as his predecessor. It really is a pity, as there's some really good instrumental work here. Musically, the sound is similar to Black Sabbath around the time they almost become progressive (Sabotage"/"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" the latter incidentally featuring Rick Wakeman). The tracks are well constructed with sensitive lyrics, soft acoustic sections, and powerful riffs. There are symphonic overtones, a lovely soft female vocal lead track ("..Alone"), and a melodic instrumental track to finish ("Black orchid").

All the other tracks however are completely spoiled by the death metal, monotonic, growled vocals. Occasionally, they do threaten to break into song, but never actually get there. It really is such a tragic waste, this could have been a really good album, if only they'd employed a singer. (Nice packaging too.)

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#30093) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 27, 2004

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars The band really takes form.

This is when Anathema really begins to take their shape, taking elements from their doom days and adding on to those in a more melodic and stylistic manner. Cavanagh's vocals utilize both death like qualities as well as traditional style singing. The material isn't quite at the progressive stage yet, but there are considerable leaps from their previous album.

The most notable thing here being the increased presence of the clean electric and acoustic as well as the track A Dying Wish which has a riff that was used on a later album. It's heavy, but not so ultra-heavy as to alienate many like a more complicated band such as Meshuggah might. The Black Sabbath references cited are poor choices, as this band really has little connection to them other than overall genre.

This is my least favorite studio release, and the most mundane, as it sort of sits in the middle of the fence without especially being great. Not as atmospheric as later albums, nor as emotionally deep. Pick this one up last after the other ones.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#113198) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After my disappointment with Serenades I didn't pay any attention anymore to Anathema till I heard Alternative 4. I've revisited their entire catalogue since and this second album came as a pleasant surprise. Or should I say a remarkable one, as 'pleasant' isn't really the appropriate adjective here.

Anathema's imminent change towards more laid-back atmospheric rock pops up here on plenty of occasions. For instance in the moody chord picking intro of Restless Oblivion and a clearly Fields of the Nephilim-inspired Nocturnal Emission. There's also the acoustic pastoral moment Alone. As on the title track, also the influence from Celtic Frost is quite prominent. Some songs have a loose and lengthy structure, featuring melodious lead guitars and atmospheric synths. Elements that might win over the more gloomy prog fans here.

The attention for atmospherics, the organic song development and the entrancing repetitive nature of the music would serve as a huge inspiration for Agalloch. Still, the dominant features of this album are the oppressively slow doom dirges and the gruff vocals, this time from Vincent Cavanagh. It's a vocal style that suits him pretty well here. He doesn't have full control of his voice but he delivers with a unrelenting conviction. He would soon give it up this gruff style in favour of a more melodic approach.

The Silent Enigma isn't on the same level as the breakthrough albums of Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, but still it provides a good case why they were listed with those two other bands as the instigators of the doom death metal.

A good 10 years later, the American band known as Agalloch would take the rough material of this album, add some early Katatonia to it and mould everything into one of the most beautiful dark rock albums ever. By consequence, this Anathema album might be worth seeking out if you're curious about their doom death roots. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#261732) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
2 stars The second Anathema studio hasn't much more to say than the debut "Serenades".

1995 is the year when the band started to change the sound a bit; with this release, together with the EP "Pentecost III", the band explores some of the progressive soundscapes, always maintaining their death doom metal style. The music is even darker than the debut, especially in songs like "Resteless Oblivion" or "A Dying Wish". The band uses even more calm, delicate moments, alternated with the violent ones. We know that very soon, with the release of their third "Eternity", these calm moments will prevail.

There are only a few good songs that save the album from a bad rating; the already mentioned "Restless Oblivion" is perfect, not one bad moment here; creepy, violent, nd a little disturbing at times. Perfect doom metal song. Even "Sunset Of Age" and "A Dying Wish" have some great moments, very haunting, but a little disquieting.

The rest is OK, definitely better at times than some songs from the debut. Maybe "Cerulean Twilight" is the song i dislike the most, boring and not appealing at all.

As a conclusion, I must say that, I prefer by a little bit the debut, since "The Silent Enigma" has only one great song, while "Serenades" has a few.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#306542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 25, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars One of my friends is a huge "Anathema" fan, but he warned me about their early releases that he dislikes profoundly. I can only agree with him. A combination of doom with growling: ouch!

I thought that this album would be better since a "new vocalist" appears and while listening to the very first notes of the opening number, I was nicely surprised. But this effect only lasted for a few seconds, unfortunately.

As I have written in a prior review, as long as the instrumental passages are concerned their music sounds OK although it is hugely borrowing to Sabbath who remains the master in the genre IMHHO. At times, the music is surprisingly melodic but it is rapidly ruined by these atrocious vocal parts; but I am afraid that I will have to cope with this for a while?

This is really a shame because "Shroud Of Frost" holds some fine instrumental elements and could have been an excellent number by all means. Some great doom feel (I don't dislike the genre, per se) is filling your ears with "Sunset Of Age". But you know the story: doom with growls?

I can only agree with Easy Livin: it was a good opportunity that has been missed. Still, this work IS better than their debut album. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#338520) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010

3 stars 5/10 One effort more rewarding than the horrible debut. But the vocals ... ... They screw it up again. And that's because there's a new singer, one of the brothers Cavanagh. To my misfortune, his vocals are just more of the same, slow and guttural growls that drag unnecessarily undermining ... (read more)

Report this review (#993840) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, July 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Silent Enigma ? 1995 (2.4/5 almost 3 stars) 8 ? Best Song: ?Alone? Have you acclimated yourself with the up and coming gothic rock phase? Well don't sweat it that much, I've been here and I've been there, and I for sure haven't found anything otherworldly. Usually the group will stipulate ... (read more)

Report this review (#459138) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Crushing emotional weight. With their second album, Anathema took their despondent Doom Metal into the darkest depths of agony while broadening their songwriting and sharpening their overall approach. Bleak, foreboding soundscapes merge with devastatingly heavy outbursts of anguish revealing t ... (read more)

Report this review (#85980) | Posted by bleak | Sunday, August 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A first transitional album in the career of Anathema. The vocals are still extreme metal, but this time they are done by someone who can actually sing. The music is now much more atmospheric, with a lot of melodic passages. The album starts with "Restless Oblivion" and "Shroud Of Frost", two cl ... (read more)

Report this review (#64622) | Posted by zaxx | Friday, January 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars "The Silent Enigma" is somewhat a transitional album for Anathema. They are leaving the "doom metal" sound and becoming a gothic metal group. From this album on, guitarist Vincent Cavanagh handles the vocal duties. As opposite to former vocalist Darren White, he actually sings (and also screa ... (read more)

Report this review (#46573) | Posted by Prosciutto | Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The orchestral part of "The Silent Enigma" is, most beautiful, the way they transform theese harmonic tunes into raging guitar riffs and devestating vocal, is less impressive I must admit, though in the songs "Dying Wish" "Sleepless 69" they manage to hold a relatively balanced sounds, where they ... (read more)

Report this review (#30097) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If you like your music a bit heavy then try this. If you like your music heavy and you've never heard Anethema then definitley try this! Progressive and heavy. This album definitley shows potential from Liverpools best kept secret. If you like The Silent Enigma then listen ot Eternity. Eterity ... (read more)

Report this review (#30096) | Posted by | Friday, March 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rock's so hard it has givin me so much inspiration as a guitarist and a singer. I would love to see Anathema do alot more tour's in the uk and i'm sure alot of other people would as well. I have a very high respect level for this band as they have helped me get through the good and ... (read more)

Report this review (#30095) | Posted by | Wednesday, November 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "The Silent Enigma" is a highly melancholic, Romantic DOOM metal album. It has nothing to do with prog rock whatsoever. However, Anathema were excellent at playing that British doom style that they, along with bands like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, helped to create. The vocals are certai ... (read more)

Report this review (#30094) | Posted by | Sunday, June 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "The Silent Enigma"