THE SILENT ENIGMA

Anathema The Silent Enigma album cover

Good, but non-essential

Buy ANATHEMA Music
Studio Album, released in 1995

1. Restless Oblivion (8:03)
2. Shroud of Frost (7:31)
3. ...Alone (4:23)
4. Sunset of Age (6:56)
5. Nocturnal Emission (4:20)
6. Cerulean Twilight (7:05)
7. The Silent Enigma (4:24)
8. A Dying Wish (8:11)

- Daniel Cavanagh / guitar
- Duncan Patterson / bass
- John Douglas/ drums and percussion

Fierce 11109

ANATHEMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma Music

Sony Bmg Europe 2008
Natural DisasterNatural Disaster
Sony UK 2006
Anathema - Distant Satellites (2014) US $23.23 Buy It Now 46m 24s
Lake of Tears - illwill (LP) Paradise lost, opeth, anathema, Ulver, moonspell US $24.00 Buy It Now 49m 1s
Atahualpa ?- In Nomine Patris / Anathema (OLD SKOOL/TRANCE)(VG+) US $9.95 Buy It Now 5h 45m
ANATHEMA Serenades + Cresfallen EP CASSETTE US $9.99 Buy It Now 9h 35m
ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma CASSETTE US $7.99 Buy It Now 9h 41m
ANATHEMA Pentecost III CASSETTE US $12.99 Buy It Now 9h 44m
DOOMED 2014 Our Ruin Silhouettes CD Doom Death Ophis Morgion Anathema US $14.99 Buy It Now 10h 3m
NEX-ZERO-CD-doom-my dying bride-anathema-watain-nominon US $7.99 Buy It Now 10h 23m
therion theli catatonia anathema amon amarth lamb of god enslaved deicide cancer US $13.99 [0 bids]
Anathema ?We're Here Because We're Here LIMITED 2000 COPIES SEALED FREE SHIPPING US $49.99 [0 bids]
ÍON ION Madre Protégenos CD Anathema Antimatter Duncan US $9.90 Buy It Now 11h 51m
ANATHEMA JUDGEMENT CD PLATINUM DISC FREE P+P!! US $166.06 Buy It Now 12h 6m
W.E.B.-DON'T WAKE FUTILITY 05 + VIDEO GREEK DARK METAL ANATHEMA DEATHSTARS US $2.99 [0 bids]
Antimatter-Lights Out RARE CD Anathema Member "Ambiente Metal" US $5.99 Buy It Now 17h 24m
PARADISE LOST Draconian Times - 2CD LONG BOX 1995 - OOP Opeth Anathema Katatonia US $39.99 Buy It Now 17h 34m
ANTIMATTER Alternative Matter Digipak 2x CD Prophecy ÍON ANATHEMA US $17.90 Buy It Now 18h 36m
LID - In the Mushroom first press digipak Peaceville Recs Anathema Trouble US $29.99 [0 bids]
Anathema "We're Here Because We're Here" 2010 Sealed [Porcupine Tree KSCOPE145] US $16.52 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Anathema "Falling Deeper" 2011 Sealed Digibook US $16.52 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Anathema "Hindsight" 2008 Sealed US $13.27 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Anathema "Universal" 2013 cd/dvd Digibook Sealed US $19.08 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Anathema "Universal" BluRay 2013 Sealed [KSCOPE518] US $18.02 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Gazpacho "London" 2011 2cd Sealed (like Marillion, Anathema, Nosound) US $16.59 Buy It Now 20h 34m
Anathema-Untouchable (rare pic disc vinyl) Record Store Day SEALED US $24.99 Buy It Now 21h 13m
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA SPECIAL UKR. EDITION ODYSSEY DOOM METAL US $14.99 Buy It Now 22h 55m
Venom Tribute Kreator Sodom Anathema paradise Lost Voivod Skyclad US $9.99 [0 bids]
Anathema-Serenades cd Anathema-Serenades + Extra Tracks US $14.99 [0 bids]
Anathema-Eternity cd Fierce Recordings Anathema Eternity cd Mayhem Records 1997 US $9.99 [0 bids]
THE GARDNERZ - The System Of Nature LP - MINT - Doom Death Anathema US $11.63 [0 bids]
CELESTIAL SEASON - Forever Scarlet Passion LP - MINT - Doom Death Anathema US $16.61 [0 bids]
SHATTERED HOPE - Waters Of Lethe CD 2014 - MINT Death Doom Anathema US $9.96 [0 bids]
VA "City of Thorns" LP OOP SLA Cardinal Sin NRA Anathema Wermacht Skate Drunx US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
fragile hollow - effete mind, saturnus anathema katatonia tiamat to die for him US $5.99 [0 bids]
PARADISE LOST PRINTED PATCH MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA KATATONIA MOONSPELL CEMETARY US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
A Natural Disaster by Anathema (CD, Feb-2004, Koch (USA)) ORG US $20.79 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA**HINDSIGHT (GATEFOLD/HEAVYWEIGHT)**2 VINYL SET US $25.50 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD BLU-RAY AUDIO Ltd/Ed I98 zd US $44.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA "THEY DIE / CRESTFALLEN" 7"EP. Cat.WIHU9205 LIMITED FIRST EDITION US $65.00 [0 bids]
Anathema - The Silent enigma - Tape US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema - Alternative 4 - Tape US $8.00 Buy It Now 1 day
PARADISE LOST Gothic LP ORG UK First Press MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA MOONSPELL US $39.90 [1 bids]
DRACONIAN - RARE LIVE IN TEL AVIV FLYER 2009 ANATHEMA MY DYING BRIDE US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Antimatter "Lights Out" RARE CD Anathema Goth Gothic Rock Metal Ambient Ambiant US $9.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Opeth/Therion/Paradise Lost/Anathema/Autopsy/Katatonia -Peaceville Classic Cuts US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
TIAMAT Clouds era logo patch anathema my dying bride dark tranquility dawn US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - UNIVERSAL: A CONCERT FILM BY LASSE HOILE - NEW CD BOXSET US $14.32 Buy It Now 1 day
Anathema Serenades [2003] [Digipak] [Limited] (CD, Jul-2003, Peaceville Re... US $14.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $5.26 Buy It Now 1 day
DAWN OF ASHES - ANATHEMA * - NEW CD US $13.24 Buy It Now 1 day
ALAS Absolute Purity (ORG 2001 Hammerheart) anathema my dying bride hate eternal US $6.99 Buy It Now 1 day
DOOMED 2012 In My Own Abyss CD Doom Death Ophis Morgion Anathema My Shameful MDB US $13.99 Buy It Now 1 day
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1 day
GUEHENOM RARE CD CANDLEMASS ANATHEMA PARADISE LOST MOONBLOOD CATHEDRAL DOWN US $18.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE 2 (DIGIPAK) NEW CD US $17.77 Buy It Now 1 day
Alternative 4 [Bonus Tracks] [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, May-2004,... US $9.12 Buy It Now 2 days
V.A. Classic Prog Mag. Present Little Fluffy Clouds W/ IQ, Anathema,Tiles US $4.95 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA -DISTANT SATELLITES-JAPAN CD F30 US $28.50 Buy It Now 2 days
ALTERNATIVE 4 The Brink Deluxe CD DVD Prophecy Patterson ÍON ANATHEMA ANTIMATTER US $22.90 Buy It Now 2 days
ANTIMATTER Fear Of A Unique Identity CD Jewelcase 2012 Prophecy ÍON ANATHEMA US $12.90 Buy It Now 2 days
The 3rd and the Mortal In this room RARE CD Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
The 3rd and the Mortal Memoirs RARE CD Ltd Gathering Anathema Third Atrox Ulver US $7.99 [0 bids]
( limited ) ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS * LIMITED EDITION CD + DVD US $11.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ARCANA COELESTIA-LE MIRAGE DEL IDEAL-cd-2009 Anathema.. US $17.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Dawn Of Ashes - Anathema [CD New] US $13.22 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - ALTERNATIVE 4 [BONUS TRACKS] [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $9.07 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Silent Enigma (2001) CD US $9.78 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - A Natural Disaster (NEW CD) US $11.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Judgement (NEW CD) US $11.19 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Original Album Classics (NEW CD) US $17.84 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Alternative 4 [CD New] US $12.05 Buy It Now 2 days
Anathema - Vol. 2-Resonance [CD New] US $10.57 Buy It Now 2 days
PARADISE LOST ICON LP MADE IN BRAZIL RARE 1stPRESS 1994 OPETH KATATONIA ANATHEMA US $24.99 Buy It Now 2 days
Without Face-Deep Inside RARE CD Goth Moonspell Anathema The Gathering style US $6.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA "The Crestfallen EP" ORG 1st press RARE OOP!!! US $49.00 Buy It Now 2 days
Antimatter - Leaving Eden - black vinyl - record LP anathema US $34.99 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - RESONANCE, VOL. 2 [DIGIPAK] - NEW CD US $7.56 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA CRESTFALLEN EP / PENTECOST III CD *NEW* SLIPCASE US $19.97 Buy It Now 2 days
ANATHEMA - WE'RE HERE BECAUSE WE'RE HERE (180GM) NEW VINYL US $55.64 Buy It Now 3 days
THE GATHERING The West Pole DIGIPAK THEATRE OF TRAGEDY ANATHEMA US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Crossfade - We all Bleed Digipak CD [ Metal Katatonia Anathema Opeth ] US $6.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA A Natural Disaster ORIG 2003 DIGIPAK MUSIC FOR NATIONS CDMFNX297 SEALED US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema Universal 2CD set (CD + DVD) US $25.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema : Resonance Volume 2 CD (2001) US $10.00 Buy It Now 3 days
Weather Systems [Digipak] by Anathema (CD, Apr-2012, The End) US $9.51 Buy It Now 3 days
Anathema * by Dawn of Ashes (CD, Apr-2013, Planetworks) US $10.30 Buy It Now 3 days
ESOTERIC - METAMORPHOGENESIS CD, Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride US $0.99 [0 bids]
the loveless - star rover, bay laurel saturnus him tristania anathema slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
far from mind - breakpoint 33', drudkh alcest anathema katatonia ulver agalloch US $5.99 [0 bids]
sleepless - winds blow higher, agalloch katatonia anathema opeth manes alcest US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - future narcotic, katatonia anathema saturnus alcest slumber US $5.99 [0 bids]
on thorns I lay - angeldust, katatonia october tide anathema saturnus alcest fen US $5.99 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA**UNIVERSAL**CD + DVD SET US $14.95 Buy It Now 3 days
Opeth - Orchid FIRST PRESS BLUE CD 1995!!! Katatonia, Alcest, Anathema, Agalloch US $22.00 [0 bids]
ANATHEMA-FINE DAY TO EXIT CD NEW US $13.98 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA-NATURAL DISASTER CD NEW US $14.28 Buy It Now 3 days
This Filthy Seed - New World Boarders - CD (ANST666 Anathema 666) US $14.02 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA - WEATHER SYSTEMS Sticker NEW Officially licensed Merch US $3.82 Buy It Now 3 days
ANATHEMA THE SILENT ENIGMA + 2 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW 2012 US $5.26 Buy It Now 3 days
AHAB - THE GIANT CD SOLITUDE DRACONIAN MY DYING BRIDE ANATHEMA US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days
PARADISE LOST - TRAGIC IDOL CD NEW vallenfyre orphaned opeth my dying anathema US $9.99 Buy It Now 3 days

More places to buy ANATHEMA music online Buy ANATHEMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ANATHEMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma ratings distribution

ANATHEMA The Silent Enigma reviews

Review by Easy Livin
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin
2 stars Meet the new vocalist, same as the old vocalist.

In my review of "Serenades", I was somewhat scathing of the vocals which were not so much a weak point, as a complete disaster. It was therefore with some optimism that I noted that Darren White was no longer with the band, Vincent Cavenagh having assumed vocal duties.

Unfortunately, Cavenagh "sings" in exactly the same way as his predecessor. It really is a pity, as there's some really good instrumental work here. Musically, the sound is similar to Black Sabbath around the time they almost become progressive (Sabotage"/"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" the latter incidentally featuring Rick Wakeman). The tracks are well constructed with sensitive lyrics, soft acoustic sections, and powerful riffs. There are symphonic overtones, a lovely soft female vocal lead track ("..Alone"), and a melodic instrumental track to finish ("Black orchid").

All the other tracks however are completely spoiled by the death metal, monotonic, growled vocals. Occasionally, they do threaten to break into song, but never actually get there. It really is such a tragic waste, this could have been a really good album, if only they'd employed a singer. (Nice packaging too.)

Send comments to Easy Livin (BETA) | Report this review (#30093) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 27, 2004

Review by OpethGuitarist
2 stars The band really takes form.

This is when Anathema really begins to take their shape, taking elements from their doom days and adding on to those in a more melodic and stylistic manner. Cavanagh's vocals utilize both death like qualities as well as traditional style singing. The material isn't quite at the progressive stage yet, but there are considerable leaps from their previous album.

The most notable thing here being the increased presence of the clean electric and acoustic as well as the track A Dying Wish which has a riff that was used on a later album. It's heavy, but not so ultra-heavy as to alienate many like a more complicated band such as Meshuggah might. The Black Sabbath references cited are poor choices, as this band really has little connection to them other than overall genre.

This is my least favorite studio release, and the most mundane, as it sort of sits in the middle of the fence without especially being great. Not as atmospheric as later albums, nor as emotionally deep. Pick this one up last after the other ones.

Send comments to OpethGuitarist (BETA) | Report this review (#113198) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, February 22, 2007

Review by Bonnek
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Prog Metal Team
4 stars After my disappointment with Serenades I didn't pay any attention anymore to Anathema till I heard Alternative 4. I've revisited their entire catalogue since and this second album came as a pleasant surprise. Or should I say a remarkable one, as 'pleasant' isn't really the appropriate adjective here.

Anathema's imminent change towards more laid-back atmospheric rock pops up here on plenty of occasions. For instance in the moody chord picking intro of Restless Oblivion and a clearly Fields of the Nephilim-inspired Nocturnal Emission. There's also the acoustic pastoral moment Alone. As on the title track, also the influence from Celtic Frost is quite prominent. Some songs have a loose and lengthy structure, featuring melodious lead guitars and atmospheric synths. Elements that might win over the more gloomy prog fans here.

The attention for atmospherics, the organic song development and the entrancing repetitive nature of the music would serve as a huge inspiration for Agalloch. Still, the dominant features of this album are the oppressively slow doom dirges and the gruff vocals, this time from Vincent Cavanagh. It's a vocal style that suits him pretty well here. He doesn't have full control of his voice but he delivers with a unrelenting conviction. He would soon give it up this gruff style in favour of a more melodic approach.

The Silent Enigma isn't on the same level as the breakthrough albums of Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, but still it provides a good case why they were listed with those two other bands as the instigators of the doom death metal.

A good 10 years later, the American band known as Agalloch would take the rough material of this album, add some early Katatonia to it and mould everything into one of the most beautiful dark rock albums ever. By consequence, this Anathema album might be worth seeking out if you're curious about their doom death roots. 3.5 stars

Send comments to Bonnek (BETA) | Report this review (#261732) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Review by EatThatPhonebook
2 stars The second Anathema studio hasn't much more to say than the debut "Serenades".

1995 is the year when the band started to change the sound a bit; with this release, together with the EP "Pentecost III", the band explores some of the progressive soundscapes, always maintaining their death doom metal style. The music is even darker than the debut, especially in songs like "Resteless Oblivion" or "A Dying Wish". The band uses even more calm, delicate moments, alternated with the violent ones. We know that very soon, with the release of their third "Eternity", these calm moments will prevail.

There are only a few good songs that save the album from a bad rating; the already mentioned "Restless Oblivion" is perfect, not one bad moment here; creepy, violent, nd a little disturbing at times. Perfect doom metal song. Even "Sunset Of Age" and "A Dying Wish" have some great moments, very haunting, but a little disquieting.

The rest is OK, definitely better at times than some songs from the debut. Maybe "Cerulean Twilight" is the song i dislike the most, boring and not appealing at all.

As a conclusion, I must say that, I prefer by a little bit the debut, since "The Silent Enigma" has only one great song, while "Serenades" has a few.

Send comments to EatThatPhonebook (BETA) | Report this review (#306542) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, October 25, 2010

Review by ZowieZiggy
2 stars One of my friends is a huge "Anathema" fan, but he warned me about their early releases that he dislikes profoundly. I can only agree with him. A combination of doom with growling: ouch!

I thought that this album would be better since a "new vocalist" appears and while listening to the very first notes of the opening number, I was nicely surprised. But this effect only lasted for a few seconds, unfortunately.

As I have written in a prior review, as long as the instrumental passages are concerned their music sounds OK although it is hugely borrowing to Sabbath who remains the master in the genre IMHHO. At times, the music is surprisingly melodic but it is rapidly ruined by these atrocious vocal parts; but I am afraid that I will have to cope with this for a while?

This is really a shame because "Shroud Of Frost" holds some fine instrumental elements and could have been an excellent number by all means. Some great doom feel (I don't dislike the genre, per se) is filling your ears with "Sunset Of Age". But you know the story: doom with growls?

I can only agree with Easy Livin: it was a good opportunity that has been missed. Still, this work IS better than their debut album. Two stars.

Send comments to ZowieZiggy (BETA) | Report this review (#338520) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, November 29, 2010

3 stars 5/10 One effort more rewarding than the horrible debut. But the vocals ... ... They screw it up again. And that's because there's a new singer, one of the brothers Cavanagh. To my misfortune, his vocals are just more of the same, slow and guttural growls that drag unnecessarily undermining ... (read more)

Report this review (#993840) | Posted by voliveira | Tuesday, July 09, 2013 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Silent Enigma ? 1995 (2.4/5 almost 3 stars) 8 ? Best Song: ?Alone? Have you acclimated yourself with the up and coming gothic rock phase? Well don't sweat it that much, I've been here and I've been there, and I for sure haven't found anything otherworldly. Usually the group will stipulate ... (read more)

Report this review (#459138) | Posted by Alitare | Saturday, June 11, 2011 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Crushing emotional weight. With their second album, Anathema took their despondent Doom Metal into the darkest depths of agony while broadening their songwriting and sharpening their overall approach. Bleak, foreboding soundscapes merge with devastatingly heavy outbursts of anguish revealing t ... (read more)

Report this review (#85980) | Posted by bleak | Sunday, August 06, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A first transitional album in the career of Anathema. The vocals are still extreme metal, but this time they are done by someone who can actually sing. The music is now much more atmospheric, with a lot of melodic passages. The album starts with "Restless Oblivion" and "Shroud Of Frost", two cl ... (read more)

Report this review (#64622) | Posted by zaxx | Friday, January 13, 2006 | Review Permanlink

3 stars "The Silent Enigma" is somewhat a transitional album for Anathema. They are leaving the "doom metal" sound and becoming a gothic metal group. From this album on, guitarist Vincent Cavanagh handles the vocal duties. As opposite to former vocalist Darren White, he actually sings (and also screa ... (read more)

Report this review (#46573) | Posted by Prosciutto | Wednesday, September 14, 2005 | Review Permanlink

3 stars The orchestral part of "The Silent Enigma" is, most beautiful, the way they transform theese harmonic tunes into raging guitar riffs and devestating vocal, is less impressive I must admit, though in the songs "Dying Wish" "Sleepless 69" they manage to hold a relatively balanced sounds, where they ... (read more)

Report this review (#30097) | Posted by | Thursday, June 02, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars If you like your music a bit heavy then try this. If you like your music heavy and you've never heard Anethema then definitley try this! Progressive and heavy. This album definitley shows potential from Liverpools best kept secret. If you like The Silent Enigma then listen ot Eternity. Eterity ... (read more)

Report this review (#30096) | Posted by | Friday, March 04, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This album rock's so hard it has givin me so much inspiration as a guitarist and a singer. I would love to see Anathema do alot more tour's in the uk and i'm sure alot of other people would as well. I have a very high respect level for this band as they have helped me get through the good and ... (read more)

Report this review (#30095) | Posted by | Wednesday, November 24, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars "The Silent Enigma" is a highly melancholic, Romantic DOOM metal album. It has nothing to do with prog rock whatsoever. However, Anathema were excellent at playing that British doom style that they, along with bands like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, helped to create. The vocals are certai ... (read more)

Report this review (#30094) | Posted by | Sunday, June 27, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ANATHEMA "The Silent Enigma"