Tool - Lateralus CD (album) cover

LATERALUS

Tool

Experimental/Post Metal

Phil
5 stars Looking for music new to my ears, I bought this after reading the reviews on this site, and this album was also named in the Q Pink Floyd/ Prog Special Top 40.

It's been an ear-opening experience for me, especially as I'm not a "Metal" fan; but Lateralus is different, a sophisticated concoction of hard riffs and complex structures. It impressed on the first listening, and has just got better since. I've found myself drawn towards the harder edged, more strident tracks - the way "Parabol" breaks into "Parabola"; the primal scream on "Ticks and Leeches" - great, angry vocals on this track; and the repetitive riff that builds on the instrumental "Triad". "Reflection" is a drum/percussion led song that works its way into your brain; the title track has shades of 'Tull to my ears, in the lilting vocal style. Clever, but not too clever lyrics on "Schism" - by the way, you have to go to the official web-site if you want them.

Although it's a guitar led band, there's a few synths in there now and again but they're used sparingly and to good effect. I don't have enough - well, any - experience of other "prog metal" bands for comparison but in old school parlance, I suppose there's a fleeting resemblance to mid-70's Crimson at their most punchy. The energy these guys produce is fantastic, while maintaining a very high level of musicianship. I don't imagine Adam Jones sits down on stage!

I'm tempted to give it 5 stars it's so good...d'oh go on then I will. I really, really do think this album deserves to be in your collection. Even if like me, you don't consider that you could ever really like soemthing with the tag "Prog Metal". Try it, you just might.

Phil | 5/5 |