Pain Of Salvation - Entropia CD (album) cover

ENTROPIA

Pain Of Salvation

The Crow
4 stars Very good debut form this fantastic progressive metal band...

This album has very good ideas and instrumental developement for being a debut. Here we can hear very mature compositions with a good production too (only the drums's sound it's a little weak in my opinion, the double pedal it's almost indistinguishable...) I think the most important fact for what this band should be heard by everyone it's the Daniel Gildenlow's voice: he is probably the best singer in rock today!!! His voice it's simply incredible, powerful and with a lot of variety and interpretation's possibilities... And he sings with a lot of sentiment, really feeling and interpretating the lyrics... Great singer here!!!

Another important fact of this debut album it's the former member Daniel Magdic's presence, because on the contrary of later POS's releases, the music isn't composed only by Daniel. Magdic composed part of some songs of Entropia, and it's great, because his influence made this songs variated and this fact rest a little of the melancholy and sadness of the Gildenlow's compositions. This fact makes this album a little different, it has its own personality... The Daniel Magdic's way of composing music is a little Drean Theater oriented, and it can be heard in songs like ! (Foreward) and Stress. For me, it's a pity that this is the only POS's album where he played, because I think his playing and compositions are very good...

And I love the bass's playing and sound too. The bass sounds amazing in songs like People Passing By and Nightmist... Better than other Pain Of Salvation's albums... It's a little mysterious... Maybe the Magdic's influence?

Best songs for me: Winning a War (funny and hard-rocking tune), Oblivion Ocean (a precious one...), Nightmist (this songs has all that a good POS's tune should have...) and Leaving Entropia (beautiful acoustic song with a kind of medieval feeling...).

Very recommended album for melancholic-but-powerful prog metal lovers!!!

The Crow | 4/5 |