Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax: Hypersleep Dialogues CD (album) cover

THE PARALLAX: HYPERSLEEP DIALOGUES

Between The Buried And Me

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

arcane-beautiful
5 stars Wow! With every new release these guys continue to awe and suprise me.

I remember being told about this release by my brother. At first I thought it was an album, and was very excited, and shocked because it wasn't too long since their last release, and then I heard it was an e.p, and my excitement turned into meh...cause e.ps are good and all, but hey you can't beat a full length release...or can you.

This release really didn't need to be longer...3 epics roled on to a 30 minute cd...that's enough to be honest. Any more of this, and I may blush to death.

Now being a fan of these guys for a while, I wouldn't say I'm their biggest fanatic. I like them and all, it's just listening to them for long periods of time can make you confused...which is why this e.p is perfect. I think one of the things that keeps me from loving them is that the whole musicianship and technicality of their material can be a bit overbearing at times. I think when it comes to technicality, the Dream Theater method, of having contemporary amazing musicianship is more listenable. Although I have to admit, they are getting more pleasurable with each listen.

This e.p really has 3 mammoth songs....and each I have given a nickname...as you will see if you continue to read on.

Their seems to a concept present, but from what I gather, its about God, the creation of the universe and dreams...that's what I get from it, maybe I'm wrong who knows. But the flowing linked concept really does make it interesting, and gives a reason behind the rather sporadic instrumental work. The songs really do flow into each other well and all the sections do work together in harmony. I prefer their song structures on Colours to be honest, but Colours will always be my personal favourite of theirs, but after a first listen of this, I may be wrong.

I've heard that their is a follow up e.p. or album to this, and to be honest I can't wait, cause this really suprised me...as all of their releases do...damn tricky technical metalheads.

1. Specular Reflection - THE PROGGY ASTRAL ROLLERCOASTER. Very chaotic, yet their is a sense of orderliness about it. Full of never ending exciting twists and turns. You can hear a progression in Tommy's vocals, showing alot more experimental moments...making their future releases really interesting to hear what he will do more with his vocals. Great chorus. 10/10

2. Augment Of Rebirth - THE CHAOTIC SPORADIC MOMENT - Probabbly my favourite song on the ep. Again very chaotic with alot of mood and tempo changes. Great lyrics. The technical ability is flawless and pheonomonal. I love the dark and atmospheric ending. 10/10

3. Lunar Wilderness - THE CALM BEFORE THE DARK STORM - Starts off very calm and turns into a dark beast of a song. Again very chaotic, and quite beautiful in an odd and sick way. 10/10

CONCLUSION: It's just perfect really, and for a first listen...this doesn't happen alot to albums I listen to.

arcane-beautiful | 5/5 |