Pink Floyd - A Nice Pair CD (album) cover

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

4 stars Hmm I don't know what's wrong with the naysayers. This package contains 2 incredible albums. The only thing you are really missing is some of the original artwork. But there is still some good artwork here, including sports teams, boobies and giant forks!!! "A Nice Pair" is also a collectors item (I think it was only ever released on vinyl and never put onto cd).

For those that don't know (though if you really don't know what I am about to say then you are not worthy to be a progger), "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" (Vinyl 1) is the classic debut album from when the band was fronted by crazy singer/songwriter Syd Barrett. This album contains many classic tracks, standouts being "Astronomy Domine", "Bike" and "Interstellar Overdrive".

"A Saucerful of Secrets" (Vinyl 2) is the follow up album that introduces Dave Gilmour to the band. This one is more experimental and leans into a proggier, more post-syd sounding version of Pink Floyd, with longer, spacier pieces instead of strange psychadelic little ditties. This album includes classics such as "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun", "Jugband Blues" and the title track.

Buying this compilation will resort in you owning to quality albums that I would both rank as amazing, landmark Floyd albums (see my individual reviews for each album for more in depth reviews). I say, if you see "A Nice Pair" on sale anywhere these days then it is well worth emptying your pockets on this album, it won't let you down.

If you already own the first two albums then this collection isn't necessary, but for Floyd fans it is a very nice addition, for those without these albums then it is essential. 18 amazing tracks in one package!

frenchie | 4/5 |