Opeth - The Throat of Winter CD (album) cover

Opeth

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Negoba
3 stars Very Nice Bonus Track

I actually bought this back when it first emerged on the Gods of War soundtrack, and was pleasantly surprised at the new sound. Though this song has no growls and no heavy electrics the feel is not just a rehash from Damnation. Rather than clean electrics, acoustic guitars dominate, and the overall feel is a little more aggressive. I hope this foreshadows that the upcoming album will also be more ambitious and varied.

However, I hope the songwriting is tighter. While "Throat of Winter" has numerous engaging sections of music, it feels very taped together. The main strummed riff feels clunky to me, not really up to Opeth standards. The melodies are pretty standard for Mikael. I'm also getting tired of the muffled effect on the clean vocals that has been used as an accent element ever since Steven Wilson hooked up with the band.

Considering this is a one-off for a video game, I was very satisfied with the offering. It was a nice little morsel while we wait for the next album. Definitely worth the 99 cents I paid for it. But the real test is coming in a few months.

Negoba | 3/5 |