Pain Of Salvation - Road Salt One CD (album) cover

ROAD SALT ONE

Pain Of Salvation

Starhammer
3 stars The lovechild of Billy Gibbons, Leonard Cohen and Mike Patton...

Pain of Salvation delve into the world of blues/gospel/pretty much anything goes infused hard-rock with mixed results.

The Good: It's always cool to see bands exploring new musical avenues instead of just rehashing their old material. Whilst it did take me a while to adjust to the fact that these songs were written by the same band that brought us the likes of Remedy Land and The Perfect Element, I have eventually grown quite fond of them. The sound is stripped down both in terms of recording and musicality, but it still remains far more interesting, and darker, than most releases within this corner of the rock spectrum.

The Bad: The music is nowhere near as adventurous as previous outings and the raw production, combined with lyrics such as "Semen stains wash out surprisingly easily..." makes this a sub-par release by their high standards.

The Verdict: With Curiousity is how I wait for the second album in this two part release.

Starhammer | 3/5 |