Deep Purple - The Book Of Taliesyn CD (album) cover

THE BOOK OF TALIESYN

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars For me this is the greatest musical achievement of DEEP PURPLE along with their "Concerto for Group and Orchestra"!

"Listen, Learn, Read On" is a very good psychedelic song with a chaotic and hazy feeling. "Wring That Neck" is quite basic bluesy jam, but I love the sound band managed to create on this LP, so it's a funny track to listen though. "Kentucky woman" is a bit boring song, and the following medley "Exposition / We Can Work It Out" isn't very wonderful either. But the B-side of the LP is then almost pure gold! "Shield" has a very interesting feeling in it, with lot's of percussions in it, raw keyboard sounds and great melodies. Then "Anthem" is the best song this band has ever recorded! It has influences of ancient English music, the composition is witty (and very beautiful) and it has even mellotrons in it! The final track on the original LP is "River Deep, Mountain High" which has a grand intro resembling the start of RICHARD STRAUSS's "Also Spracht Zarathustra".

I loaned the re-mastered CD of this album from library, in order to get hear the bonus tracks, and I recall they were OK. There's also a silly anecdote about this album I could mention here in the end. I got my copy from a flea market, and it was an American vinyl press of the album. "Wring That Neck" goes with a name of "The Hard Road", and the length of the song "Shield" is indicated as 6:66!

Eetu Pellonpää | 4/5 |