Threshold - Subsurface  CD (album) cover

Threshold

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
3 stars Yet more of the same

On Subsurface, Threshold continues to produce the same kind of music as they previously did on Critical Mass and before that on Hypothetical. There is indeed very little to distinguish these three albums from each other. One could easily take any track from this album and put it on any of the previous two albums and nobody would notice. So similar are these albums in both style and quality. They follow the same formula on these albums, but they are still making good music here that will inevitably appeal to those who liked the previous couple of albums. On the one hand, it is sad that they are content to bring us more of the same, but on the other hand they seem to enjoy themselves and please the fans.

As I said in previous reviews, this period of the band's career is less adventurous and more conventional, and dare I say, commercial. The catchy choruses that were first introduced on Hypothetical are still present here and for my taste this is just a little bit too catchy and melodic. The production values are super high, but this is just a bit too polished for its own good.

Subsurface is about as good as Hypothetical and Critical Mass, and I do enjoy listening to all of these albums, but they are still far behind the band's first four albums. In those days (the 90's), Theshold sounded new, fresh, original, inventive, and exciting. In the 2000's, they sound somewhat predictable.

SouthSideoftheSky | 3/5 |