SUBSURFACE

Threshold

Threshold Subsurface  album cover

Buy THRESHOLD Music
Studio Album, released in 2004

1. Mission Profile (8:15)
2. Ground Control (7:13)
3. Opium (6:48)
4. Stop Dead (4:21)
5. The Art Of Reason (10:20)
6. Pressure (5:17)
7. Flags And Footprints (4:54)
8. Static (5:07)
9. The Destruction Of Words (6:14)

Limited Edition features:
1. Extended booklet
2. Bonus track: What About Me (4:19)
3. Video footage and weblink to special internet content

- Steve Anderson / bass
- Richard West / keyboards
- Johanne James / drums

CD SPV 085-60872 CD / CD SPV 087-60870 CD-E

THRESHOLD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THRESHOLD Subsurface Music

Limited Edition · Import
Extinct Instinct: Definitive EditionExtinct Instinct: Definitive Edition
PsycedelicatessenPsycedelicatessen
Nuclear Blast Int'l 2012
Moody Blues -Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - Threshold Germany Nr. THS 5- EX- US $7.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - On The Threshold Of A Dream ~ GATEFOLD VINYL LP + BOOKLET US $28.07 Buy It Now 1h 35m
MOODY BLUES - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM (IMPORT) NEW VINYL US $60.02 Buy It Now 2h 7m
THE MOODY BLUES LP A Question of Balance 1970 Threshold Vinyl US $2.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM 180GM LP VINYL RECORD NEW US $43.99 Buy It Now 3h 37m
HammerFall - Threshold - NB1752-2 US $12.58 Buy It Now 3h 47m
DOMINION - THRESHOLD [DOMINION] - NEW CD US $3.65 Buy It Now 4h 15m
THE MOODY BLUES - THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES, 1974 THRESHOLD 2THS, EXCELLENT US $8.99 [0 bids]
RAY THOMAS - From Mighty Oaks - Excellent Condition LP Record Threshold 6.22289 US $14.43 Buy It Now 5h 16m
THE MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn Vinyl Record LP Threshold THS 7 1972 US $22.46 Buy It Now 6h 12m
Michael Pinder - The Promise - Gatefold LP Record/Vinyl Threshold Records THS 18 US $5.00 Buy It Now 6h 56m
Moody Blues On The Threshold of a Dream LP US $0.99 [0 bids]
THRESHOLD Clone CD Brilliant UK Progressive Metal 2001 BRAND NEW US $7.99 Buy It Now 7h 22m
EX/EX !! Francis Monkman/Dweller On The Threshold/1981 Maya LP/Curved Air/Sky US $35.31 Buy It Now 8h 2m
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD CD GOLD DISC FREE P+P! US $144.45 Buy It Now 8h 27m
Rock Promo 45 NICKY JAMES Black Dream on Threshold (Pro US $5.00 Buy It Now 8h 30m
THE MOODY BLUES Question 1970 UK THRESHOLD RECORDS 7" VINYL SINGLE TH 4 US $4.01 Buy It Now 8h 34m
Hammerfall: Threshold CD 2006 Nuclear Blast GmbH USA NB 1752-2 US $10.95 Buy It Now 8h 34m
MOODY BLUES : ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM (DES18025) - RARITIES US $4.49 Buy It Now 8h 42m
THRESHOLD 1987 Penthouse 45 BAD TO THE BONE Bob Guccione US $14.77 Buy It Now 8h 42m
Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream Lp. 1969 VG Condition US $2.99 [0 bids]
Over Your Threshold - Facticity [CD New] US $11.56 Buy It Now 8h 53m
THE MOODY BLUES. ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM. DERAM. 1969. BRITISH INVASION. US $4.00 Buy It Now 9h 30m
The Moody Blues, Vinyl LP Threshold Records,1983, TRL-1-2902, The Present ~ VG+ US $5.99 Buy It Now 9h 33m
KRAKKBRAIN "Innercut"ORG cd self-released 93,Droys,Metallords,Threshold,Witches US $32.99 Buy It Now 9h 39m
THE MOODY BLUES LP RECORD, A QUESTION OF BALANCE. THRESHOLD LABEL. 1970. EX/EX. US $4.01 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues-A Question of Balance - Threshold Full Silver W Germany No IFPI US $19.99 Buy It Now 9h 45m
JUSTIN HAYWARD / JOHN LODGE Blue Jays 1975 UK LP THRESHOLD THS 12 US $6.40 [0 bids]
HAMMERFALL THRESHOLD + 3 BONUS TRACKS SEALED CD NEW US $7.08 Buy It Now 10h 5m
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM ONLY SPAIN COVER 1969 DERAM US $40.00 Buy It Now 10h 33m
Michael Pinder The Promise vinyl LP 1976 VG+ Threshold Records Gatefold Stereo US $10.00 Buy It Now 10h 39m
RAY THOMAS from mighty oaks THS 16 uk threshold 1975 LP PS EX/EX gatefold sleeve US $14.43 Buy It Now 10h 44m
MOODY BLUES on the threshold of a dream SML 1035 P3W/P3W uk deram LP PS EX/EX US $18.19 Buy It Now 10h 45m
JUSTIN HAYWARD JOHN LODGE BLUE JAYS LP LYRICS INSERT THRESHOLD 14 US $5.99 Buy It Now 10h 45m
MOODY BLUES on the threshold of a dream Japan MINI LP SHM-CD US $40.00 [4 bids]
Rock 45 The Moody Blues - Painted Smile / Gemini Dream On Threshold US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 53m
Rock 45 The Moody Blues - For My Lady / I'M Just A Singer On Threshold Records L US $5.00 Buy It Now 10h 53m
THE MOODY BLUES - SITTING AT THE WHEEL - THRESHOLD TH31 US $8.01 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER - 1981 - VINYL LP - THRESHOLD 1-2901 US $1.39 Buy It Now 11h
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream - (cassette) US $3.75 Buy It Now 12h 5m
1975 HAYWARD/LODGE BLUE JAYS LP-THRESHOLD-14-EXCELLENT-COMPLETE US $6.79 Buy It Now 12h 9m
THE MOODY BLUES QUESTION CANDLE OF LOVE ORIGINAL 1970 THRESHOLD VINYL 45 US $3.19 Buy It Now 12h 10m
1976 MICHAEL PINDER THE PROMISE LP-THRESHOLD-18-NEAR MINT US $6.49 Buy It Now 12h 17m
SEALED ORIGINAL / THE MOODY BLUES - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM LP US $25.00 Buy It Now 12h 55m
MOODY BLUES "BLUE JAYS" VINTAGE 1975 STEREO ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS THS 14 US $20.00 [0 bids]
LP--record--vintage--MOODY BLUES--"Seventh Sojourn"--THS7--Threshold US $4.99 Buy It Now 14h 23m
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM & SEVENTH SOJOURN 8 TRAC TAPE EXCELLENT! US $9.98 [0 bids]
Michael Pinder The Promise LP Record Album Threshold THS18 1976 Moody Blues US $5.00 [0 bids]
High Flyers: The Best of Trapeze THRESHOLD RECORDS MADE IN GERMANY RARE OOP US $16.66 Buy It Now 15h 35m
?Moody Blues-Every Good Boy Deserves Favour-Threshold THS 5) lyric inner slveeve US $14.99 Buy It Now 16h 16m
Crossing the Threshold of Hope His Holiness John Paul II 6 Cassettes box set US $7.00 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "BLUE JAYS" RARE 1975 STEREO ALBUM THRESHOLD THS 14 US $20.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES, SEVENTH SOJOURN & QUESTION OF BALANCE ON THRESHOLD + GATEFOLD COVER US $14.99 [0 bids]
PAT WILLIAMS 1973 JAZZ FUNK LP THRESHOLD CAPITOL 11242 TOM SCOTT MARVIN STAMM US $0.99 [0 bids]
THRESHOLD HOUSE : 2010 Happy New Year Photo Card Set : Sacred & Profane COIL US $23.99 Buy It Now 17h 20m
MOODY BLUES: On The Threshold Of A Dream CD 1969/86 (W. Gremany) MCPS 820 170-2 US $18.50 Buy It Now 17h 23m
Moody Blues (2 LP's) "This is the Moody Blues" 1974 Threshold Records 2THS 12/13 US $4.99 [0 bids]
TONI ARDEN 45 Carry Me Cross Threshold MISHAWAKA * UNPLAYED INDI LABEL Mint ! US $3.00 Buy It Now 18h 58m
RAY THOMAS FROM THE MIGHTY OAKS THRESHOLD 1975 US $7.99 Buy It Now 19h 4m
TRAPEZE - 1st ALBUM THRESHOLD TH 2- VERY RARE - URUGUAY (4 pics) US $75.00 Buy It Now 19h 5m
The Moody Blues-"every good boy deserves favour" (12" LP London/threshold 1971) US $2.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues-"To our childrens childrens...." (12" LP London/threshold 1971) US $2.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES QUESTION CANDLE OF LIFE THRESHOLD TH4 GERMAN NEAR MINT RARE US $8.01 [0 bids]
LP THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM **EXC VINYL** BOOKLET INC 64 US $10.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM ORIG 8 TRACK CARTRIDGE 1969 STEREO US $16.04 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream UK ORIGINAL Deram 1st 1969 MONO G/F US $16.05 [0 bids]
Threshold - Psychedelicatessen CD US $21.29 Buy It Now 1 day
Russell & Yasunao Tone Haswell - Convulsive Threshold CD US $19.11 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues Threshold Of A Dream Live At The Iow Festival 1970 DVD w/ CD US $18.42 Buy It Now 1 day
Threshold: March of Progress (2012) CD + BONUS TRACK TAIWAN SEALED US $21.99 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES QUESTION THRESHOLD RARE 7" 45 SINGLE PROG US $2.41 Buy It Now 1 day
RAY THOMAS Hopes Wishes & Dreams THRESHOLD Stereo VG++/NM- Promo US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
WRECK OF THE HESPERUS - The Sunken Threshold CD US $7.90 Buy It Now 1 day
Threshold - For The Journey (NEW 2 VINYL LP) US $35.30 Buy It Now 1 day
Threshold - For The Journey (NEW CD DIGIPACK) US $17.24 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM LP CHEAP INC BOOKLET US $12.83 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream NAUTILUS Audiophile NM US $25.00 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour LP Threshold 1971 w/ Inner Sleeve US $6.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES Seventh Sojourn LP Threshold 1972 w/ Inner Sleeve US $7.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager LP Threshold 1981 US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES To Our Children's Children's Children LP 1969 UK Threshold THS1 2W US $24.99 Buy It Now 1 day
NICKY JAMES Rock N Roll Jamboree 45 rpm PROMO Threshold US $9.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager NEAR MINT (Threshold TRL-1-2901 LP 1981) US $24.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES LP-EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR/THRESHOLD REC. 1971 STRONG VG+ US $6.98 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES "SEVENTH SOJOURN" 1st PRESS 1972 THRESHOLD RECORDS THS7 SEALED US $25.00 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream rare LP great condition US $3.99 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream DES 18025 With Book US $9.97 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour THRESHOLD LONDON RECORDS LP 1971 US $4.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues - Voices in the Sky (Best of) Vinyl LP -Threshold 822 150-1 R-1 - EX US $5.95 Buy It Now 1 day
Seventh Sojourn Moody Blues Threshold Records vg++ 1 owner Private Collection US $10.80 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues ~ On The Threshold Of A Dream ~ Quad Quadraphonic 8 Track Tape US $29.95 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOJOURN, GATEFOLD LP, EX, THRESHOLD THS 7 US $12.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES "SEVENTH SOJOURN" 1972 THRESHOLD RECORDS THS 7, STEREO VG++ US $12.99 [0 bids]
BLACK FRANCIS UK 2007 ADVANCE PROMO CD Single Threshold Apprehension NearMINT US $5.60 Buy It Now 1 day
Reports from the Threshold of Death * by Junius (Indie Rock) (CD, Oct-2011,... US $6.91 Buy It Now 1 day
Prince Rama Of Ayodhya - Threshold Dances [CD New] US $21.81 Buy It Now 1 day
PROVIDENCE rare USA promo 7" 45 FANTASY FUGUE, Threshold 67013 '72, Tony Clarke US $12.60 Buy It Now 1 day
3 Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed - A Question of Balance - On the Threshold US $19.99 Buy It Now 1 day
Seventh Sojourn Moody Blues Threshold Records vg++ 1 owner Private Collection US $12.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues Every Good Boy Deserves Favor 1971 Threshold Records lp 1 owner US $12.00 [0 bids]

More places to buy THRESHOLD music online Buy THRESHOLD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THRESHOLD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THRESHOLD Subsurface ratings distribution

THRESHOLD Subsurface reviews

Review by Muzikman
5 stars Subsurface is bound to keep the Threshold faithful happy. With Critical Mass enjoying enormous success, spawning a live CD and DVD titled Critical Energy, and the release of this monster prog-metal album, it will most surely continue to up the ante for worldwide stardom for this band. Yes, international acclaim most certainly beckons now with impressive back-to-back powerhouse releases behind them.

There is a new member now, Steve Anderson; he takes Jon Jeary's place on bass. Anderson fits in nicely into the scheme of things. Mac is steadily becoming one of the most effective and charismatic front man in rock, leaving no doubt of his ability to belt out anything thrown at him with strength and conviction. What can I say about Karl Groom and Nick Midson? They are two of the most underrated guitar players on the planet. The foundation of the band, the drummer, is simply phenomenal; Johanne James pounds the skins as if he was hypnotized. Concisely, this unit defines the word band.

The lyrics of this album really grabbed me and the cover is a clue to what the premise of the entire album is. The picture is saying that we are reflection of ourselves and we see it everyday on that idiot box we call TV, it forces us to reflect. Right below the subsurface is all the crap and muck . but is it really buried that deep or is it plain to see? In some people it is and in others it remains well hidden, yet bubbling just below (the subsurface) ready to come gushing forth in all it's nasty splendor.

On "Flags and Footprints" Mac sings about the summer of promises turning into the lies of fall by using the analogy of the leaves turning red and falling from the trees dead to the ground-its all so prolific and thought provoking, with powerful and sweeping surges that take you away with the wind of the words. "The Art Of Reason" is possibly one their most stirring warnings yet, with lyrics like "I can't believe we never noticed, I can't believe it took so long, for us to turn around the future, in the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom, as the truth was neutralized we've lost the art of reason." This makes a very strong reference to our freedom as human beings. This album's principle revolves around not compromising our freedom and rights for anything, i.e. money, political reasons, and to stand firm with our truths at all cost, and to never give in or we will lose our integral spirit, the very life force that continues to drive us and give us hope to carry on another day.

I believe that this is one of the most important releases of the year both musically and lyrically. It is a real revelation - get it.

Note: The Limited Edition features an extended booklet, Bonus track "What About Me" (4:19), multimedia section including video, gallery and more.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#32104) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Review by Menswear
4 stars War, conflict, pollution and rock n' roll.

The world's living it's worst crisis in the history of man, and in a close future maybe the Earth won't be able to tolerate the treatment mankind is giving it. It really gets intense with on top, conflicts about power, money and domination. Still in 2005, too many people are suffering uselessly of hunger and the post traumatic syndrom due to war is no longer a social comment, but a terrible reality. Therefore, Threshold is pushing the lyrics a bit further this time. They usually my vote for lyrics but this time, they hit the spot bullseye.

Subsurface, as the word suggests, is talking about the underground, the non-said of what we're seeing. Since we don't have any power on what's going through the world, why not singing about it? Good thing they did, because they outdone themselves this time. Maybe it's the theme that's really gripping me, but the whole feel of urgency is really present and well controlled (not like handshaking King Bono).

Of course Threshold is not known for it's change of pace so Subsurface is full blast, full time. I don't mind really, and this time they added a lot more keyboard gadgets. Voice enhancing Vocoder, acoustic/programming drum interplay and high-tech synths are more used and gives a lot more variety to the album than in Hypothetical or Critical Mass.

In my humble opinion, Dermott's vocals are the solid ground Threshold can stand on. When the harmonies are that good, it gives the band a good pat in the back making them more confident in the material. He's the best vocalist in metal progressive rock today. Why so sure about that? Listen to everything else, from the Theater of Dreams to the Symphony of the X...There's enough cheese in those two bands to stop world hunger for good.

Repetitive recipe of success, yes. But what an effective one!

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#35520) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Review by Vanwarp
4 stars The emphasis here is on more coherent song structures and catchy melodies. Subsurface is another concept album of sorts which ultimately questions the problems facing our society. The lyrics cover a wide variety of subjects surrounding the decline of our society, the question of power and influence is looked at closely, for instance is what we see on TV always the truth and if what we do or what the people in power do is really what "we" want them to do? The concept here is quite simple, where are "we" heading?

"Subsurface" is an outstanding effort by a progressive metal band from the UK that, in my view, have been in Dream Theater's shadow far to long.

The band lays everything out on the floor with the opening "Mission Profile." The plan has been explained and we all know where this is all heading now. Aggressive melodic guitar lines, strong vocals, syncopated rhythm patterns and some clear moments of musical improvisations with some splendid solos, all the ingredients for a strong progressive metal album.

Sample lyrics to "Mission Profile":

"disillusion is always possible but we've got propaganda mass confusion is always better than the threat of understanding we'll deceive you we've got so many ways to make you stand behind us if we need to we'll use them on ourselves to constantly remind us

there is just one lie that we can still defend we've started something we can never end

we know although we try to justify the means the truth behind the end remains unseen and while we all assume we all agree we're giving up the freedom to be free"

"Opium" opens with a guitar solo, the band clearly moving into heavy metal territory. This is one of the highlights on the album with a brilliant vocal performance by Andrew McDermott. Excellent heavy metal vibe here with interesting syncopated rhythm patterns in the mid section and awesome lead guitar work. Sample lyrics:

"they'll print it on the front page to synthesise an outrage but all we find is a decoy once again duplicity and trickery surround us till all believe there is no other way"

In fact, the album is full of thought provoking lyrics and interesting musical moments with piano and other keyboards included to very good atmospheric effect and some great guitar work throughout.

On another note, not many progressive bands venture into power ballad territory but that is exactly what we get with "Flags and Footprints" and "Destruction of Words." With the softer moments on the album, I'm also reminded of Evergrey, another band that effectively combines progressive elements with heavy metal influences and the occasional power ballad in their music.

"Static" is my FAV track on the album. It has an excellent heavy metal vibe! This song reveals much about who "we" are, sample lyrics:

"I meditated I medicated I made a promise but I broke it every day annihilated I violated all that was given me I choked it all away"

I've had a little more time to review this album and although I would have initially given this album a 5 star rating, my final recommendation and rating must in all fairness reflect the ratings I've given each song. Perhaps 4 and one half stars would be most accurate, but Prog Archives doesn't allow half star ratings. So, it was a tough decision but I rounded the score down to 4 stars.

Send comments to Vanwarp (BETA) | Report this review (#81462) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 19, 2006

3 stars I have to agree with those who feel this isn't as good as a lot of their past records. I just found it difficult to put my finger on "why" this album doesn't do much for me. I read another reviewer who likes "Clone" a lot more than this one (me too) and feels it's the guitars that have more room to breathe during the solos and melodies on the "Clone" album. My only thought was that "Clone" was maybe more raw, not as polished as this one.They do use the same "formula" from album to album and maybe this just isn't as fresh, it's getting old, and that's ok unless the band feels this way, then it will come through on the record. Anyway it seems i'm in the minority on this thought, and it is a good record that I do recommend.

"Mission Profile" is a great tune with the amazing combination of good vocals and powerful riffs. "Ground Control" features more powerful riffs, as well as soaring and scorching guitar solos. Some beautiful keyboard playing including spacey ones. A good contrast between the spacey and smooth chorus to the rest of the hard driving melodies.There are several songs I feel are good but not great. "Opium" is dark and heavy. "Pressure", "Stop Dead" and "Static" are great guitar songs.

Good record.3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#98362) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 11, 2006

Review by Fishy
4 stars I was blown away by this album. First of all the lyrics deal with idea's rarely to be found on a prog album. Even though this is not a concept album, most of the lyrics are handling the influences of media on everyday's life : "and this is how we live our lives : our opium is televised." Besides this the lyrics are adjusted to the music. Everything sounds perfectly in place. The music is in the same vein of the previous Threshold albums and the production work is equally impressive. When compared to earlier releases, it's still prog metal, all the usual ingredients are present. Only the symphonic and atmospheric elements are emphasised more into the sound. Especially the sound of the keyboards are more to the fore. This leaves a rather accessible sound though it may take some time for newcomers to get into the music. Being not familiar with prog metal it took me some spins for appreciating this album. After a while I deceived the cold sounding guitar riffs and I discovered the beautiful melodies, the intelligent lyrics and the skilful musicianship. The melody lines are less exuberant when compared to other metal acts or earlier Threshold efforts but not less effective. Maybe the band members have aged a bit, learning from the past and ready for the next level of song writing : "It's growing colder, I'm growing older, my summer's over and it's time to face the fall". The song writing on this album is really top notch. I can't point out one flaw. Every track is simply perfect. It's been years since I enjoyed an album like I enjoyed this one even though some of the idea's in the lyrics aren't mine. The first time I heard the album it reminded me on the commercial heyday of a band like Europe. Especially on a melodic tune like the chorus of "Flag of footprints". That band use to have the same kind of polished production and dubbed vocals. The difference is that Europe was a Pop/aor band with simplified compositions that I never really enjoyed anyway. There's a deep emotional level in "subsurface" but it takes some time to discover it. Personal favourites are the title track and the semi-ballad "The destruction of words" but again, it's hard to pick out one song. The title track is the perfect example of how the music emphasis the power of the lyrical idea's. There's something transcending in the meaning of that lyric : "all I do reflects on you, now can you feel the pressure ? " You can notice this in the sound of the dubbed vocals and the astral sounding keys. Those harmonic vocals are splattered all over the album and I wonder how the band manages to do the live shows. Despite this, this is a hell of a energetic track with an sing a long tune which I can't get out of my head. "the destruction of words" may sound cold and calculated at first but later on you learn to appreciate the meaning of sentences like "truth is sublime but talk is just a waste of time and all that's left is you". In the end this turns out to be a romantic song. The art of reason" is the most lengthy track but you can hardly notice it due to the compelling atmosphere. Like most of the tracks on this album, the music is dominated by the extended vocal parts.

All in all, a great album that I can recommend to any lover of energetic prog rock/metal. It may need some spins but after a while you'll get pure enjoyment.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#103378) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 17, 2006

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Most prog metal bands are basicly heavy metal groups with a strong progressive influences. With Threshold (and a few others) is the other way around: under the barrage of heavy guitar riffs you´ll find a truly progressive outfit. And Subsurface is an excellent exemple: great hooks, nice vocal melodies (that are really not HM), shifting moods and tempo, and so on... This is specially felt on The Art Of Reason. The musicians are, as expected, very skilled ones and the production (done by veteran guitarrist Karl Groom and keyboardsman Richard West) is superb.

Like all prog works it takes more than a few spins to get all the subtleties and let the music sink in. But once it happens, you´re hooked. It´s very intesresting that there are bands still trying to work a intricated efford like this and coming with such bright piece of music. Very creative and tasteful, with no fillers or weak songs, Subsurface is an excellent addition to any prog lover with an open mind and enjoys the mix of prog music with heavy guitars. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#142026) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2007

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars After the relative disappointment of the very good but unexceptional Crtitical Mass Threshold returned 2 years later in 2004 with Subsurface. It's another very good if somewhat formulaic release from the band. If you know Threshold then you know what to expect and therein in a way lays the problem. Threshold's prog metal whilst always of a good standard, during the current decade at least progresses little if any from one release to the next. A few surprises could go a long way to upping the ante a bit.

So what we ultimately get then is Threshold by numbers; powerful and played with precision metal riffs coloured with Richard West's atmospheric modern keyboard sounds, not as much to the front for the most part as in the past which is a shame. There's the obligatory power ballad or two but most songs are hard hitting rockers with customary time and tempo changes sprinkled with good melodies in the main. The band of course are fine players and handle the song demands easily and "Mac" is the best singer and longest serving the band have ever had (sadly now left).

Mission Profile is a killer opener, as good as I would hope for from the band and can sit head and shoulders up there with their finest moments. Starting with the customary atmospheric and spacey keyboard flourishes (is there a Threshold album that doesn't start this way?) it's into a fantastic driving riff and a strong melody too. It's a song of a number of tempo changes and parts though not overly complex but really hits home hard. It's undoubtedly the album highlight which in a way is a shame as the rest of the album while although trying hard never quite lives up to this exceptional moment. There's still much to enjoy however, the next best being the mini epic The Art Of Reason, a track in the vein of Narcissus from their best album Hypothetical.

You probably get the picture by now without me going through every track so in all Subsurface is another very good release from Threshold, of course not their best and the already mentioned lack of progression over more recent years means that it's a bit of a lottery over which is their best of the current decade, apart from the exceptional Hypothetical which really captures them at their very best. It can however sit comfortably alongside the likes of Critical Mass and their most recent, Dead Reckoning as a very good prog metal album. 3 ½ stars.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#237277) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 05, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Threshold forth album with Mac Dermott behind the microphone named Subsurface from 2004 and seventh from their career. While this album keeps the same formula as on Critical mass, this release is leass convinceing than previous albums, at least the last 2-3 of them. I don't realy know why this album is less enjoyble then others, because has catchy melodies, good riffs, nice progressive metal pasages that will please any fan, but in the end as whole somthing is lacking and I don't know for sure what is. Maybe the listners find that the music too much the same as on last two albums, they didn't come with something new, every piece from this album can easy enter on any previous albums (the ones with Mac Dermott of course), no diffrence actualy, maybe in quality of the song but not in musical prestation of the musicians. To me Subsurface is a good album overall, nothing realy groundbreaking or very intristing, is kinda far from Extinct instinct or Hyphottical their best album without hesitation, but has good pieces like opening track Mission Profile, catchy and typical for Threshold sound, The Art Of Reason and Static, the rest are ok just. So , a worthy album, more like only for Threshold fans, but for sure some of the usual listners of progressive metal would find somthing of an intrest here, not very much but has some moments of brightness. 3 stars, good but nothing more.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#245147) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Yet more of the same

On Subsurface, Threshold continues to produce the same kind of music as they previously did on Critical Mass and before that on Hypothetical. There is indeed very little to distinguish these three albums from each other. One could easily take any track from this album and put it on any of the previous two albums and nobody would notice. So similar are these albums in both style and quality. They follow the same formula on these albums, but they are still making good music here that will inevitably appeal to those who liked the previous couple of albums. On the one hand, it is sad that they are content to bring us more of the same, but on the other hand they seem to enjoy themselves and please the fans.

As I said in previous reviews, this period of the band's career is less adventurous and more conventional, and dare I say, commercial. The catchy choruses that were first introduced on Hypothetical are still present here and for my taste this is just a little bit too catchy and melodic. The production values are super high, but this is just a bit too polished for its own good.

Subsurface is about as good as Hypothetical and Critical Mass, and I do enjoy listening to all of these albums, but they are still far behind the band's first four albums. In those days (the 90's), Theshold sounded new, fresh, original, inventive, and exciting. In the 2000's, they sound somewhat predictable.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#496476) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars Given that the band had only recently released their wonderful live CD and DVD 'Critical Energy', I hadn't realised that a new studio album was going to follow so quickly in 2004. Again, this has now been reissued as a 'Definitive Edition' by Nuclear Blast and contains one new song plus two live versions. By this time one of the original quartet had departed, with bassist Jon Jeary being replaced by Steve Anderson who is still there in the current line-up in 2013, still linking in with powerful drummer Johanne James. Nick Midson and Karl Groom provide the metal riffs, while Richard West again either supports or rides melodic roughshod over the top of the maelstrom with some great keyboard lines. Add to that the great vocals of Mac and you have one of the finest metal bands from the UK scene. At the time you wouldn't have read as much about them in the 'normal' press as others because they pursue a lone furrow in prog metal: music that can be brutally heavy, yet maintain strange time signatures and melodic twists.

"Mission Profile" opens proceedings ? one of the more up tempo numbers on the album, and one thing that really kicks home from the opening note is the quality of the production: this is an album that can be played extremely loudly, that sounds polished but not sanitised. For me the second song, "Ground Control", has to be one of the best for defining Threshold. It is riff-laden, yet also contains some strong keyboards, loads of harmony vocals, gentle and quiet sections that are then offset with passion and Mac shouting, "How can you face the future?" At times there is almost a syncopated rhythm and always there is a definite feel that this is like nothing else around yet is also wonderfully powerful and melodic.

This is music that may not be fashionable but sure as hell is strong stuff. Yes they can bring in acoustic guitars when they want to, yes they can bring in loads of influences but these guys really don't sound like anyone else. Simple ideas are used as well as the complex. At the end of "Stop Dead" Mac again sings the line "Well if you stop, dead" and the song does, totally. The first time it happened I actually stared at the player because it was so dramatic, not a good idea when you are bombing around the M25?.I ought to also mention the cover. The word on the TV says 'REFLECT', but look at the reflection and that states 'CONCEAL'. Again, this is a simple idea, but is extremely effective. This is an indispensable album. www.thresh.net

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#890565) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013

5 stars 8.5/10 With Subsurface Threshold continues to display their winning formula in an album where they are as strong as before. Although not as good as the acclaimed Critical Mass is still a winner in its own right, containing some of the strongest tracks they've done. I told you how much I ad ... (read more)

Report this review (#975355) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, June 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a bit of a fan of these guys a while, I had no actual albums of theirs, so natuarly I had to get one (well my brother did, I forget about them as usual), so I decided to get this one. These guys are ugly as hell, if you look at them, but their is a rule with British bands, the uglier they ... (read more)

Report this review (#292006) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Monday, July 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Threshold sometimes compare with Dream Theater, but it is not absolutely true. If Dream Theater = Kansas + Metallica, and Threshold = Savatage + Triumph. Threshold, as well as the majority of progmetal bands are strong professionals, but not too bright melodists, with original ideas at them t ... (read more)

Report this review (#135862) | Posted by Jeth | Sunday, September 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Subsurface has some really good melodies to it that will probably hook many on with just a single listen. I didn't find anything particularly amazing about the band from the get-go, but there were plenty of cool hooks and riffs to listen to so I kept it in a fairly regular rotation. After a few ... (read more)

Report this review (#132279) | Posted by Equality 7-2521 | Wednesday, August 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Threshold is an essential but underrated by many people band of the progressive metal scene. And they 've been around for some time. Many prog metal bands sound DreamTheater alike but this one is something different. Maybe you don't understand that in the beginning but every threshold album ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#107798) | Posted by Sophocles | Thursday, January 18, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After Critical Mass, this album is quite corny. Songs have made by force and they just not work. The first song are good enough for me. Mission Profile is simple enough and sounds fresh. 8/10 Pressure works too. Even their guitar sound are little bit flatty. But I like this bands drummer. ... (read more)

Report this review (#73724) | Posted by Toomio | Saturday, April 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4.5 Stars- GREAT but not essential. (Comes very close though!) This album is truely amazing. This is Threshold's best- by far. EVery song is great- with great music, and lyrics to match. This also is a prog CD that my Fiancee actaully likes! Which is a huge bonus- I mean, she's pretty tired of ... (read more)

Report this review (#38662) | Posted by | Wednesday, July 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Best Threshold CD yet? Yup, I think so. On their 7th studio recording Threshold no longer really resemble the band that recorded their debut CD Wounded Land in 1992. Of coarse they changed drummers and singers like Spinal Tap (especially drummers) and that would account for some changes bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#36613) | Posted by | Wednesday, June 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First of all I like Dermott's vocals much better than Damion Wilsons,Sorry Damion.This disk has everything a prog metal fan loves.I dont think there is a weak spot anywhere which I must say is rare in prog metal.Whenever a more intellegent music form is combined with a genre like metal which i ... (read more)

Report this review (#32119) | Posted by James Hill | Monday, May 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A real good album, my first of this band nevertheless. I was very surprised first time I listend to, it's energical and I love what some other reviewers hate: the bombastic style of the sound, reminds me some old good Asia stuff. It's no real prog, no real metal but a good melt with great lyrics ... (read more)

Report this review (#32117) | Posted by | Wednesday, April 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have arrived a little late.I got 1 track by this lot, "Static",on a freebie mag give away. I bought "Critical Mass" and fell in love with Threshold.I had been put off prog metal by certain bands but they are different.I will keep this brief.Best album of the year. It has everything you will ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#32106) | Posted by adrian coleman | Saturday, February 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Report this review (#32105) | Posted by | Thursday, January 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is probably the best progmetal album of the year. A perfect job! Excellent songwriting, exciting orchestration, deeply emotional singing, intelligent and interesting lyrics. The vocalist Mac gets better and better with every new album. This pruduct of the highest class is a unique mixture of ... (read more)

Report this review (#32101) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 28, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With their latest release Threshold once again proved their inviolable first position in progressive world. Question of freedom, morality and identity in modern (political) reality stands out as indinspensable theme of Threshold's philosophy. Vocals have been raised to a higher level, with alw ... (read more)

Report this review (#32100) | Posted by Threshold | Thursday, November 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I absolutely love this album. I got into Threshold about 5 months ago, after hearing Critical Energy, and when I heard this album I stopped listening to everything else. Even my all time favorite Dream Theater has been set to the side until I wear this disc out. Track 1, Mission profile, is an ... (read more)

Report this review (#32094) | Posted by | Friday, October 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excelent work full of complex and melodical passages. This album it's more than metal! I like both, the american and the scandinavian progressive metal, but -in my opinion- the touch of this band is an equilibrated mix, joining the best from the american prog-metal style -more frecuently lead ... (read more)

Report this review (#32115) | Posted by | Friday, October 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I don't like such pseudo-artistry music. The chorus singed by the whole band are annoying and dull, the rest of music is uninspired, boring and full of clichés. The whole recording is so bombastic that particular songs from it could be poor national anthems. Psychedelicatesen was a decent metal ... (read more)

Report this review (#32114) | Posted by silentman | Wednesday, October 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First of all, I own all THReSHoLD CD's and the fact is that they are the best "progressive" metal band of today music. They have (after a lot of albums) proven once more that they can do the best "catchy" prog-metal and each album grow in you every time you listen to it. Subsurface is without ... (read more)

Report this review (#32113) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolutely perfect !! This is the top of the progressive music these times together with Dream Theater. Absolutely inteligent compositions, passionate atmosphere, perfect arrange... When you listen this album very thoughtfully than the result is fatastic !! The fact is that these guys are abso ... (read more)

Report this review (#32109) | Posted by | Tuesday, September 21, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars They`re repeating themselves. Same riffs, same use of vocals, same attitude. When "Critical Mass" was the strong, this represents the weaker side of Threshold. There are some marks that band isn`t completely dead - track called "Pressure" has at least some energy, although it isn`t...this Thre ... (read more)

Report this review (#32108) | Posted by | Sunday, September 05, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THRESHOLD "Subsurface "