SUBSURFACE

Threshold

Threshold Subsurface  album cover

Buy THRESHOLD Music
Studio Album, released in 2004

1. Mission Profile (8:15)
2. Ground Control (7:13)
3. Opium (6:48)
4. Stop Dead (4:21)
5. The Art Of Reason (10:20)
6. Pressure (5:17)
7. Flags And Footprints (4:54)
8. Static (5:07)
9. The Destruction Of Words (6:14)

Limited Edition features:
1. Extended booklet
2. Bonus track: What About Me (4:19)
3. Video footage and weblink to special internet content

- Steve Anderson / bass
- Richard West / keyboards
- Johanne James / drums

CD SPV 085-60872 CD / CD SPV 087-60870 CD-E

THRESHOLD MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy THRESHOLD Subsurface Music

Ravages of Time: The Best of ThresholdRavages of Time: The Best of Threshold
Inside Out Music 2007
REVOLTING The TError Threshold CD Razorback new US $6.00 [0 bids]
39m 26s
Sealed Moody Blues DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED On The Threshold Of A Dream record US $199.95 [0 bids]
45m 55s
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM INC NEVER COMES THE DAY VINYL LP US $6.84 Buy It Now 1h 11m
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream Original LP US $4.50 Buy It Now 1h 48m
ORIGINAL 1971 MEDUSA TRAPEZE GATEFOLD LP THRESHOLD RECORDS MORE RECORDS LISTED!! US $4.50 [5 bids]
The Moody Blues-A Question Of Balance-LP-Threshold-Gatefold-Vinyl Record-VG+ US $2.99 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Long Distance Voyager LP Threshold 1981 Art Rock US $7.95 Buy It Now 3h 14m
THE MOODY BLUES EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES FAVOUR 1971 THRESHOLD 8 TRACK TESTED US $6.99 Buy It Now 4h
HULA (UK GROUP) threshold LP 9 track with inner but sleeve has inked in surface US $8.15 Buy It Now 6h 51m
HAMMERFALL-THRESHOLD-DOBLE DIGI-LIMITED-EDITION-POWER METAL US $19.99 Buy It Now 8h 7m
MOODY BLUES : A NIGHT AT RED ROCKS CD GERMAN THRESHOLD US $4.97 Buy It Now 8h 8m
THE MOODY BLUES~A Question of Balance~Threshold SMAS 93329~VG++! US $8.99 Buy It Now 8h 21m
LP Threshold Records 1974 Trapeze Featuring Glenn Hughes 33 1/3 RPM THS 11 US $9.99 [0 bids]
9h
MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOUJOURN ORIG PSYCH ROCK ON THRESHOLD US $9.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn - UK Threshold LP +insert US $9.78 Buy It Now 9h 47m
#HEAR# CAPITOL ST-12242 PAT WILLIAMS THRESHOLD MARVIN STAMM STEREO LP! US $11.90 Buy It Now 10h 2m
THE MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream 12" Vinyl LP Record SML 1035 US $14.68 Buy It Now 12h 8m
Threshold - Solebello,Carolann New & Sealed CD-JEWEL CASE Free Shipping US $28.28 Buy It Now 12h 24m
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream Remastered CD + 9 Bonus Trax NEW SEALED US $8.08 Buy It Now 12h 46m
MFSL-Moody Blues-On The Threshold of a Dream - 24K Gold Disc CD - Look! US $31.00 Buy It Now 12h 51m
Threshold of a Dream: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970 [DVD+CD] by The... US $12.32 Buy It Now 14h 6m
JUSTIN HAYWARD & JOHN LODGE BLUE GUITAR 45 THRESHOLD 1975 MOODY BLUES US $0.82 [0 bids]
The Moody Blues every good boy deserves favour LP Vinyl 1971 Threshold Records US $10.00 Buy It Now 15h 10m
Threshold : Psychedelicatessen (2CDs) (2001) US $13.47 Buy It Now 15h 50m
The Moody Blues Threshold 45 Record #67012 For My Lady / I'm Just A Singer US $4.99 [0 bids]
In Search of the Lost Chord/On the Threshold of a Dream by The Moody Blues... US $5.00 [0 bids]
Rare Promotional CD Single BLACK FRANCIS Threshold Apprehension MINT PIXIES US $3.25 [0 bids]
#THE MOODY BLUES QUESTION / CANDLE OF LIFE 1970 THRESHOLD TH4 US $2.29 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES - THRESHOLD OF A DREAM: LIVE AT IOW FESTIVAL 1970 NEW DVD US $23.51 Buy It Now 17h 8m
[J.GREENLEE] Moody Blues "Threshold L28P 1011" MINT [Japan Press] Audiophile US $19.99 [0 bids]
DOPESTYLE 1231 S/T 2x 12" LP Threshold Recordings Del The Funky Homosapien US $4.99 Buy It Now 17h 22m
Moody blues-Threshold promo45 Sitting at the wheel PS US $10.00 Buy It Now 17h 31m
USURPER / WAR - Threshold of the Usurper / Total War MC CASSETTE US $21.99 Buy It Now 17h 40m
THRESHOLD Self Titled LP Record 1982 RARE US $14.50 Buy It Now 17h 52m
Crystalline Dream : Threshold CD (2006) US $9.80 Buy It Now 18h 6m
On the Threshold of a Dream - The Moody Blues (Vinyl, VG) US $0.99 [0 bids]
Threshold - Subsurface NEW CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 18h 55m
THE MOODY BLUES This Is VINYL 2X LP Threshold 1974 ~c US $5.06 Buy It Now 18h 56m
NEW THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD CD MINI LP JAPAN CLASSIC ROCK OBI US $75.00 Buy It Now 19h 12m
Threshold - Critical Mass NEW CD US $10.53 Buy It Now 19h 28m
VANISHING POINT - Distant Is The Sun +1, Japan CD +obi, Sonata Arctica,Threshold US $22.99 Buy It Now 19h 44m
Threshold - March Of Progress NEW 2 x LP US $25.71 Buy It Now 19h 57m
Sugar Blue - Threshold CD blues US $11.99 Buy It Now 20h 4m
The Moody Blues - On The Threshold Of A Dream - LP Vinyl Record SML 1035 US $32.63 Buy It Now 20h 6m
Moody Blues-"On The Threshold of a Dream" LP W/ORIGINAL INSERT 12" LP US $3.25 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, orig Threshold vinyl LP, 1971, VG US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 54m
RAY THOMAS Mighty Oaks, original Threshold vinyl LP, 1975, VG+, Moody Blues US $4.99 Buy It Now 21h 57m
MOODY BLUES LP- ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM - NM! BOOKLET! BELL SOUND! 26C US $7.95 Buy It Now 22h 4m
Asgard - In The Realm Of Asgaerd LP - Threshold THS 6 Very Rare UK First Edition US $19.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOJOURN- ROCK- 12"- 1972- THRESHOLD RECORDS US $1.99 Buy It Now 22h 27m
The Moody Blues 33 RPM LP Threshold phonograph record US $2.50 [0 bids]
1971 Moody Blues "Every Good Boy Deserves a Favour" Threshold THS 5 G+ LP (2nd) US $4.78 Buy It Now 23h
Hula black LP Threshold US $3.99 Buy It Now 23h 8m
1972 Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" Stereo 33 RPM Vinyl Threshold Records +Sleeve US $3.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues, The - On The Threshold Of A Dream ~ Deram ~ DES 18025 ~ Brown/White US $3.74 Buy It Now 23h 30m
1972 Moody Blues "Seventh Sojourn" Threshold THS 7 Excellent Stereo Vinyl LP US $5.38 Buy It Now 23h 33m
1969 Moody Blues "To Our Children's Children's Children" Threshold THS 1 VG LP US $5.08 Buy It Now 23h 33m
BLACK COFFEE GROUP Step Over the Threshold LP 1987 Russian Heavy Metal Melodia US $9.99 [0 bids]
The Present by The Moody Blues, Moody Blues (The) (CD, 1983, Threshold... US $12.00 [0 bids]
Moody Blues "On The Threshold Of A Dream" 8 track FREE SHIPPING US $3.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues (1972 Gatefold) "Seventh Sojourn" Threshold # THS 7 See Pics! US $2.99 [0 bids]
TRAPEZE-TRAPEZE-THRESHOLD RECORDS-THS-2-PROMO COPY- US $8.00 [0 bids]
rare brand new cd progressive rock music Opeth Mikael Akerfeldt Threshold more US $1.99 [0 bids]
Lot of 2 MOODY BLUES - 45 rpm 7" record CANADA press EX NM Jukebox THRESHOLD pop US $1.99 [0 bids]
WRECK OF THE HESPERUS: Sunken Threshold CD Funeral Doom Autopsy Thergothon US $4.99 [0 bids]
Zos Kia/ Coil ?Transparent CD w/ Booklet Threshold Mint Cond Archive Copy Rare! US $335.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES - THRESHOLD RECORDS DOUBLE LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES - LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER - THRESHOLD RECORDS LP US $6.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues:Threshold of a Dream SHM CD Japan Mini-LP UICY-93714 Mint (Q + QU US $61.75 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues vinyl LP album record On The Threshold Of A Dream - 2nd UK SML1035 US $29.74 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues 1970's Threshold Australia LP To Our Children's, Children's Children US $25.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Steven Halpern Dallas Smith Threshold HN3001 Sealed US $9.97 Buy It Now 1 day
Bent,NEW CD,Threshold,Threshold US $4.49 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream LP Vinyl VG++ Cover VG+ GF DES 18025 US $8.99 Buy It Now 1 day
The Graeme Edge Band - Kick Off Your Muddy Boots [Threshold] (LP Ex. Vinyl) US $16.31 Buy It Now 1 day
RAY THOMAS- From Mighty Oaks- NM 1975 Threshold LP US $12.49 Buy It Now 1 day
RUSSELL HASWELL/YASU - CONVULSIVE THRESHOLD: COLLABORATIVE WORK FOR MP3 - NEW CD US $12.89 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM LP US $11.41 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues "Long Distance Voyager" (1981) LP Threshold TRL-1-2901 US $7.99 Buy It Now 1 day
KYN ON A THRESHOLD - NEW CD US $16.49 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES THE PRESENT VINYL LP RECORD THRESHOLD 2902 GATEFOLD EXCELLENT US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
THE MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOJOUR 1972 LP ORIG NM INSERT GF PROG THRESHOLD THS-7 US $4.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - SITTING AT THE WHEEL - 7" VINYL PICTURE SLEEVE 1983 THRESHOLD US $7.33 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues Surlamer Music Cassette Polydor/Threshold Label US $8.15 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES EVERY GOOD BOY DESERVES A FAVOUR LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES TO OUR CHILDREN'S CHILDREN LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES SEVENTH SOJOURN LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES QUESTION OF BALANCE LP ALBUM THRESHOLD RECORDS US $2.95 [0 bids]
MOODY BLUES ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM STEREO LP DERAM LONDON US $2.95 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES On The Threshold Of A Dream DERAM CLASSIC ROCK LP German Press US $14.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES 19694.88 ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM LP ALBUM US $8.95 [0 bids]
Just Say the Word by Josh Kelley (CD, Aug-2006, Threshold (USA)) US $0.99 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES " QUESTION / CANDLE OF LIFE " 1970 THRESHOLD 45 US $1.62 [0 bids]
THE MOODY BLUES - TO OUR CHIDLRENS CHILDRENS CHILDREN - THRESHOLD RECORD 1969 US $11.00 Buy It Now 1 day
Moody Blues On The Threshold Of A Dream Japan LP Obi US $9.99 [0 bids]
Moody Blues On the Threshold of a Dream LP VG+ London Records Stereo Gatefold US $8.95 Buy It Now 1 day
The Moody Blues "On the Threshold of a Dream" US $20.00 Buy It Now 1 day
MOODY BLUES - ON THE THRESHOLD OF A DREAM - GF - RARE - URUGUAY US $35.00 Buy It Now 1 day
RARE VINYL / Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance 1970 Threshold THS 3 UK US $4.00 Buy It Now 1 day
VINYL LP Michael Pinder - The Promise ( Moody Blues ) Threshold THS 18 / KENDUN US $11.99 Buy It Now 1 day

More places to buy THRESHOLD music online Buy THRESHOLD & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for THRESHOLD DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

THRESHOLD Subsurface ratings distribution

THRESHOLD Subsurface reviews

Review by Muzikman
5 stars Subsurface is bound to keep the Threshold faithful happy. With Critical Mass enjoying enormous success, spawning a live CD and DVD titled Critical Energy, and the release of this monster prog-metal album, it will most surely continue to up the ante for worldwide stardom for this band. Yes, international acclaim most certainly beckons now with impressive back-to-back powerhouse releases behind them.

There is a new member now, Steve Anderson; he takes Jon Jeary's place on bass. Anderson fits in nicely into the scheme of things. Mac is steadily becoming one of the most effective and charismatic front man in rock, leaving no doubt of his ability to belt out anything thrown at him with strength and conviction. What can I say about Karl Groom and Nick Midson? They are two of the most underrated guitar players on the planet. The foundation of the band, the drummer, is simply phenomenal; Johanne James pounds the skins as if he was hypnotized. Concisely, this unit defines the word band.

The lyrics of this album really grabbed me and the cover is a clue to what the premise of the entire album is. The picture is saying that we are reflection of ourselves and we see it everyday on that idiot box we call TV, it forces us to reflect. Right below the subsurface is all the crap and muck . but is it really buried that deep or is it plain to see? In some people it is and in others it remains well hidden, yet bubbling just below (the subsurface) ready to come gushing forth in all it's nasty splendor.

On "Flags and Footprints" Mac sings about the summer of promises turning into the lies of fall by using the analogy of the leaves turning red and falling from the trees dead to the ground-its all so prolific and thought provoking, with powerful and sweeping surges that take you away with the wind of the words. "The Art Of Reason" is possibly one their most stirring warnings yet, with lyrics like "I can't believe we never noticed, I can't believe it took so long, for us to turn around the future, in the rush to be globalized we signed away our freedom, as the truth was neutralized we've lost the art of reason." This makes a very strong reference to our freedom as human beings. This album's principle revolves around not compromising our freedom and rights for anything, i.e. money, political reasons, and to stand firm with our truths at all cost, and to never give in or we will lose our integral spirit, the very life force that continues to drive us and give us hope to carry on another day.

I believe that this is one of the most important releases of the year both musically and lyrically. It is a real revelation - get it.

Note: The Limited Edition features an extended booklet, Bonus track "What About Me" (4:19), multimedia section including video, gallery and more.

Send comments to Muzikman (BETA) | Report this review (#32104) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Review by Menswear
4 stars War, conflict, pollution and rock n' roll.

The world's living it's worst crisis in the history of man, and in a close future maybe the Earth won't be able to tolerate the treatment mankind is giving it. It really gets intense with on top, conflicts about power, money and domination. Still in 2005, too many people are suffering uselessly of hunger and the post traumatic syndrom due to war is no longer a social comment, but a terrible reality. Therefore, Threshold is pushing the lyrics a bit further this time. They usually my vote for lyrics but this time, they hit the spot bullseye.

Subsurface, as the word suggests, is talking about the underground, the non-said of what we're seeing. Since we don't have any power on what's going through the world, why not singing about it? Good thing they did, because they outdone themselves this time. Maybe it's the theme that's really gripping me, but the whole feel of urgency is really present and well controlled (not like handshaking King Bono).

Of course Threshold is not known for it's change of pace so Subsurface is full blast, full time. I don't mind really, and this time they added a lot more keyboard gadgets. Voice enhancing Vocoder, acoustic/programming drum interplay and high-tech synths are more used and gives a lot more variety to the album than in Hypothetical or Critical Mass.

In my humble opinion, Dermott's vocals are the solid ground Threshold can stand on. When the harmonies are that good, it gives the band a good pat in the back making them more confident in the material. He's the best vocalist in metal progressive rock today. Why so sure about that? Listen to everything else, from the Theater of Dreams to the Symphony of the X...There's enough cheese in those two bands to stop world hunger for good.

Repetitive recipe of success, yes. But what an effective one!

Send comments to Menswear (BETA) | Report this review (#35520) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Review by Vanwarp
4 stars The emphasis here is on more coherent song structures and catchy melodies. Subsurface is another concept album of sorts which ultimately questions the problems facing our society. The lyrics cover a wide variety of subjects surrounding the decline of our society, the question of power and influence is looked at closely, for instance is what we see on TV always the truth and if what we do or what the people in power do is really what "we" want them to do? The concept here is quite simple, where are "we" heading?

"Subsurface" is an outstanding effort by a progressive metal band from the UK that, in my view, have been in Dream Theater's shadow far to long.

The band lays everything out on the floor with the opening "Mission Profile." The plan has been explained and we all know where this is all heading now. Aggressive melodic guitar lines, strong vocals, syncopated rhythm patterns and some clear moments of musical improvisations with some splendid solos, all the ingredients for a strong progressive metal album.

Sample lyrics to "Mission Profile":

"disillusion is always possible but we've got propaganda mass confusion is always better than the threat of understanding we'll deceive you we've got so many ways to make you stand behind us if we need to we'll use them on ourselves to constantly remind us

there is just one lie that we can still defend we've started something we can never end

we know although we try to justify the means the truth behind the end remains unseen and while we all assume we all agree we're giving up the freedom to be free"

"Opium" opens with a guitar solo, the band clearly moving into heavy metal territory. This is one of the highlights on the album with a brilliant vocal performance by Andrew McDermott. Excellent heavy metal vibe here with interesting syncopated rhythm patterns in the mid section and awesome lead guitar work. Sample lyrics:

"they'll print it on the front page to synthesise an outrage but all we find is a decoy once again duplicity and trickery surround us till all believe there is no other way"

In fact, the album is full of thought provoking lyrics and interesting musical moments with piano and other keyboards included to very good atmospheric effect and some great guitar work throughout.

On another note, not many progressive bands venture into power ballad territory but that is exactly what we get with "Flags and Footprints" and "Destruction of Words." With the softer moments on the album, I'm also reminded of Evergrey, another band that effectively combines progressive elements with heavy metal influences and the occasional power ballad in their music.

"Static" is my FAV track on the album. It has an excellent heavy metal vibe! This song reveals much about who "we" are, sample lyrics:

"I meditated I medicated I made a promise but I broke it every day annihilated I violated all that was given me I choked it all away"

I've had a little more time to review this album and although I would have initially given this album a 5 star rating, my final recommendation and rating must in all fairness reflect the ratings I've given each song. Perhaps 4 and one half stars would be most accurate, but Prog Archives doesn't allow half star ratings. So, it was a tough decision but I rounded the score down to 4 stars.

Send comments to Vanwarp (BETA) | Report this review (#81462) | Review Permalink
Posted Monday, June 19, 2006

3 stars I have to agree with those who feel this isn't as good as a lot of their past records. I just found it difficult to put my finger on "why" this album doesn't do much for me. I read another reviewer who likes "Clone" a lot more than this one (me too) and feels it's the guitars that have more room to breathe during the solos and melodies on the "Clone" album. My only thought was that "Clone" was maybe more raw, not as polished as this one.They do use the same "formula" from album to album and maybe this just isn't as fresh, it's getting old, and that's ok unless the band feels this way, then it will come through on the record. Anyway it seems i'm in the minority on this thought, and it is a good record that I do recommend.

"Mission Profile" is a great tune with the amazing combination of good vocals and powerful riffs. "Ground Control" features more powerful riffs, as well as soaring and scorching guitar solos. Some beautiful keyboard playing including spacey ones. A good contrast between the spacey and smooth chorus to the rest of the hard driving melodies.There are several songs I feel are good but not great. "Opium" is dark and heavy. "Pressure", "Stop Dead" and "Static" are great guitar songs.

Good record.3.5 stars.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#98362) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, November 11, 2006

Review by Fishy
4 stars I was blown away by this album. First of all the lyrics deal with idea's rarely to be found on a prog album. Even though this is not a concept album, most of the lyrics are handling the influences of media on everyday's life : "and this is how we live our lives : our opium is televised." Besides this the lyrics are adjusted to the music. Everything sounds perfectly in place. The music is in the same vein of the previous Threshold albums and the production work is equally impressive. When compared to earlier releases, it's still prog metal, all the usual ingredients are present. Only the symphonic and atmospheric elements are emphasised more into the sound. Especially the sound of the keyboards are more to the fore. This leaves a rather accessible sound though it may take some time for newcomers to get into the music. Being not familiar with prog metal it took me some spins for appreciating this album. After a while I deceived the cold sounding guitar riffs and I discovered the beautiful melodies, the intelligent lyrics and the skilful musicianship. The melody lines are less exuberant when compared to other metal acts or earlier Threshold efforts but not less effective. Maybe the band members have aged a bit, learning from the past and ready for the next level of song writing : "It's growing colder, I'm growing older, my summer's over and it's time to face the fall". The song writing on this album is really top notch. I can't point out one flaw. Every track is simply perfect. It's been years since I enjoyed an album like I enjoyed this one even though some of the idea's in the lyrics aren't mine. The first time I heard the album it reminded me on the commercial heyday of a band like Europe. Especially on a melodic tune like the chorus of "Flag of footprints". That band use to have the same kind of polished production and dubbed vocals. The difference is that Europe was a Pop/aor band with simplified compositions that I never really enjoyed anyway. There's a deep emotional level in "subsurface" but it takes some time to discover it. Personal favourites are the title track and the semi-ballad "The destruction of words" but again, it's hard to pick out one song. The title track is the perfect example of how the music emphasis the power of the lyrical idea's. There's something transcending in the meaning of that lyric : "all I do reflects on you, now can you feel the pressure ? " You can notice this in the sound of the dubbed vocals and the astral sounding keys. Those harmonic vocals are splattered all over the album and I wonder how the band manages to do the live shows. Despite this, this is a hell of a energetic track with an sing a long tune which I can't get out of my head. "the destruction of words" may sound cold and calculated at first but later on you learn to appreciate the meaning of sentences like "truth is sublime but talk is just a waste of time and all that's left is you". In the end this turns out to be a romantic song. The art of reason" is the most lengthy track but you can hardly notice it due to the compelling atmosphere. Like most of the tracks on this album, the music is dominated by the extended vocal parts.

All in all, a great album that I can recommend to any lover of energetic prog rock/metal. It may need some spins but after a while you'll get pure enjoyment.

Send comments to Fishy (BETA) | Report this review (#103378) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, December 17, 2006

Review by Tarcisio Moura
4 stars Most prog metal bands are basicly heavy metal groups with a strong progressive influences. With Threshold (and a few others) is the other way around: under the barrage of heavy guitar riffs you´ll find a truly progressive outfit. And Subsurface is an excellent exemple: great hooks, nice vocal melodies (that are really not HM), shifting moods and tempo, and so on... This is specially felt on The Art Of Reason. The musicians are, as expected, very skilled ones and the production (done by veteran guitarrist Karl Groom and keyboardsman Richard West) is superb.

Like all prog works it takes more than a few spins to get all the subtleties and let the music sink in. But once it happens, you´re hooked. It´s very intesresting that there are bands still trying to work a intricated efford like this and coming with such bright piece of music. Very creative and tasteful, with no fillers or weak songs, Subsurface is an excellent addition to any prog lover with an open mind and enjoys the mix of prog music with heavy guitars. Highly recommended.

Send comments to Tarcisio Moura (BETA) | Report this review (#142026) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, October 04, 2007

Review by Nightfly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Rock Progressivo Italiano Team
3 stars After the relative disappointment of the very good but unexceptional Crtitical Mass Threshold returned 2 years later in 2004 with Subsurface. It's another very good if somewhat formulaic release from the band. If you know Threshold then you know what to expect and therein in a way lays the problem. Threshold's prog metal whilst always of a good standard, during the current decade at least progresses little if any from one release to the next. A few surprises could go a long way to upping the ante a bit.

So what we ultimately get then is Threshold by numbers; powerful and played with precision metal riffs coloured with Richard West's atmospheric modern keyboard sounds, not as much to the front for the most part as in the past which is a shame. There's the obligatory power ballad or two but most songs are hard hitting rockers with customary time and tempo changes sprinkled with good melodies in the main. The band of course are fine players and handle the song demands easily and "Mac" is the best singer and longest serving the band have ever had (sadly now left).

Mission Profile is a killer opener, as good as I would hope for from the band and can sit head and shoulders up there with their finest moments. Starting with the customary atmospheric and spacey keyboard flourishes (is there a Threshold album that doesn't start this way?) it's into a fantastic driving riff and a strong melody too. It's a song of a number of tempo changes and parts though not overly complex but really hits home hard. It's undoubtedly the album highlight which in a way is a shame as the rest of the album while although trying hard never quite lives up to this exceptional moment. There's still much to enjoy however, the next best being the mini epic The Art Of Reason, a track in the vein of Narcissus from their best album Hypothetical.

You probably get the picture by now without me going through every track so in all Subsurface is another very good release from Threshold, of course not their best and the already mentioned lack of progression over more recent years means that it's a bit of a lottery over which is their best of the current decade, apart from the exceptional Hypothetical which really captures them at their very best. It can however sit comfortably alongside the likes of Critical Mass and their most recent, Dead Reckoning as a very good prog metal album. 3 ½ stars.

Send comments to Nightfly (BETA) | Report this review (#237277) | Review Permalink
Posted Saturday, September 05, 2009

Review by b_olariu
3 stars Threshold forth album with Mac Dermott behind the microphone named Subsurface from 2004 and seventh from their career. While this album keeps the same formula as on Critical mass, this release is leass convinceing than previous albums, at least the last 2-3 of them. I don't realy know why this album is less enjoyble then others, because has catchy melodies, good riffs, nice progressive metal pasages that will please any fan, but in the end as whole somthing is lacking and I don't know for sure what is. Maybe the listners find that the music too much the same as on last two albums, they didn't come with something new, every piece from this album can easy enter on any previous albums (the ones with Mac Dermott of course), no diffrence actualy, maybe in quality of the song but not in musical prestation of the musicians. To me Subsurface is a good album overall, nothing realy groundbreaking or very intristing, is kinda far from Extinct instinct or Hyphottical their best album without hesitation, but has good pieces like opening track Mission Profile, catchy and typical for Threshold sound, The Art Of Reason and Static, the rest are ok just. So , a worthy album, more like only for Threshold fans, but for sure some of the usual listners of progressive metal would find somthing of an intrest here, not very much but has some moments of brightness. 3 stars, good but nothing more.

Send comments to b_olariu (BETA) | Report this review (#245147) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, October 18, 2009

Review by SouthSideoftheSky
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Symphonic Team
3 stars Yet more of the same

On Subsurface, Threshold continues to produce the same kind of music as they previously did on Critical Mass and before that on Hypothetical. There is indeed very little to distinguish these three albums from each other. One could easily take any track from this album and put it on any of the previous two albums and nobody would notice. So similar are these albums in both style and quality. They follow the same formula on these albums, but they are still making good music here that will inevitably appeal to those who liked the previous couple of albums. On the one hand, it is sad that they are content to bring us more of the same, but on the other hand they seem to enjoy themselves and please the fans.

As I said in previous reviews, this period of the band's career is less adventurous and more conventional, and dare I say, commercial. The catchy choruses that were first introduced on Hypothetical are still present here and for my taste this is just a little bit too catchy and melodic. The production values are super high, but this is just a bit too polished for its own good.

Subsurface is about as good as Hypothetical and Critical Mass, and I do enjoy listening to all of these albums, but they are still far behind the band's first four albums. In those days (the 90's), Theshold sounded new, fresh, original, inventive, and exciting. In the 2000's, they sound somewhat predictable.

Send comments to SouthSideoftheSky (BETA) | Report this review (#496476) | Review Permalink
Posted Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Review by kev rowland
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Crossover Team
5 stars Given that the band had only recently released their wonderful live CD and DVD 'Critical Energy', I hadn't realised that a new studio album was going to follow so quickly in 2004. Again, this has now been reissued as a 'Definitive Edition' by Nuclear Blast and contains one new song plus two live versions. By this time one of the original quartet had departed, with bassist Jon Jeary being replaced by Steve Anderson who is still there in the current line-up in 2013, still linking in with powerful drummer Johanne James. Nick Midson and Karl Groom provide the metal riffs, while Richard West again either supports or rides melodic roughshod over the top of the maelstrom with some great keyboard lines. Add to that the great vocals of Mac and you have one of the finest metal bands from the UK scene. At the time you wouldn't have read as much about them in the 'normal' press as others because they pursue a lone furrow in prog metal: music that can be brutally heavy, yet maintain strange time signatures and melodic twists.

"Mission Profile" opens proceedings ? one of the more up tempo numbers on the album, and one thing that really kicks home from the opening note is the quality of the production: this is an album that can be played extremely loudly, that sounds polished but not sanitised. For me the second song, "Ground Control", has to be one of the best for defining Threshold. It is riff-laden, yet also contains some strong keyboards, loads of harmony vocals, gentle and quiet sections that are then offset with passion and Mac shouting, "How can you face the future?" At times there is almost a syncopated rhythm and always there is a definite feel that this is like nothing else around yet is also wonderfully powerful and melodic.

This is music that may not be fashionable but sure as hell is strong stuff. Yes they can bring in acoustic guitars when they want to, yes they can bring in loads of influences but these guys really don't sound like anyone else. Simple ideas are used as well as the complex. At the end of "Stop Dead" Mac again sings the line "Well if you stop, dead" and the song does, totally. The first time it happened I actually stared at the player because it was so dramatic, not a good idea when you are bombing around the M25?.I ought to also mention the cover. The word on the TV says 'REFLECT', but look at the reflection and that states 'CONCEAL'. Again, this is a simple idea, but is extremely effective. This is an indispensable album. www.thresh.net

Send comments to kev rowland (BETA) | Report this review (#890565) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, January 10, 2013

5 stars 8.5/10 With Subsurface Threshold continues to display their winning formula in an album where they are as strong as before. Although not as good as the acclaimed Critical Mass is still a winner in its own right, containing some of the strongest tracks they've done. I told you how much I ad ... (read more)

Report this review (#975355) | Posted by voliveira | Monday, June 10, 2013 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Being a bit of a fan of these guys a while, I had no actual albums of theirs, so natuarly I had to get one (well my brother did, I forget about them as usual), so I decided to get this one. These guys are ugly as hell, if you look at them, but their is a rule with British bands, the uglier they ... (read more)

Report this review (#292006) | Posted by arcane-beautiful | Monday, July 26, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Threshold sometimes compare with Dream Theater, but it is not absolutely true. If Dream Theater = Kansas + Metallica, and Threshold = Savatage + Triumph. Threshold, as well as the majority of progmetal bands are strong professionals, but not too bright melodists, with original ideas at them t ... (read more)

Report this review (#135862) | Posted by Jeth | Sunday, September 02, 2007 | Review Permanlink

2 stars Subsurface has some really good melodies to it that will probably hook many on with just a single listen. I didn't find anything particularly amazing about the band from the get-go, but there were plenty of cool hooks and riffs to listen to so I kept it in a fairly regular rotation. After a few ... (read more)

Report this review (#132279) | Posted by Equality 7-2521 | Wednesday, August 08, 2007 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Threshold is an essential but underrated by many people band of the progressive metal scene. And they 've been around for some time. Many prog metal bands sound DreamTheater alike but this one is something different. Maybe you don't understand that in the beginning but every threshold album ha ... (read more)

Report this review (#107798) | Posted by Sophocles | Thursday, January 18, 2007 | Review Permanlink

3 stars After Critical Mass, this album is quite corny. Songs have made by force and they just not work. The first song are good enough for me. Mission Profile is simple enough and sounds fresh. 8/10 Pressure works too. Even their guitar sound are little bit flatty. But I like this bands drummer. ... (read more)

Report this review (#73724) | Posted by Toomio | Saturday, April 01, 2006 | Review Permanlink

4 stars 4.5 Stars- GREAT but not essential. (Comes very close though!) This album is truely amazing. This is Threshold's best- by far. EVery song is great- with great music, and lyrics to match. This also is a prog CD that my Fiancee actaully likes! Which is a huge bonus- I mean, she's pretty tired of ... (read more)

Report this review (#38662) | Posted by | Wednesday, July 06, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars The Best Threshold CD yet? Yup, I think so. On their 7th studio recording Threshold no longer really resemble the band that recorded their debut CD Wounded Land in 1992. Of coarse they changed drummers and singers like Spinal Tap (especially drummers) and that would account for some changes bu ... (read more)

Report this review (#36613) | Posted by | Wednesday, June 15, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First of all I like Dermott's vocals much better than Damion Wilsons,Sorry Damion.This disk has everything a prog metal fan loves.I dont think there is a weak spot anywhere which I must say is rare in prog metal.Whenever a more intellegent music form is combined with a genre like metal which i ... (read more)

Report this review (#32119) | Posted by James Hill | Monday, May 30, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars A real good album, my first of this band nevertheless. I was very surprised first time I listend to, it's energical and I love what some other reviewers hate: the bombastic style of the sound, reminds me some old good Asia stuff. It's no real prog, no real metal but a good melt with great lyrics ... (read more)

Report this review (#32117) | Posted by | Wednesday, April 20, 2005 | Review Permanlink

4 stars I have arrived a little late.I got 1 track by this lot, "Static",on a freebie mag give away. I bought "Critical Mass" and fell in love with Threshold.I had been put off prog metal by certain bands but they are different.I will keep this brief.Best album of the year. It has everything you will ev ... (read more)

Report this review (#32106) | Posted by adrian coleman | Saturday, February 05, 2005 | Review Permanlink

Report this review (#32105) | Posted by | Thursday, January 27, 2005 | Review Permanlink

5 stars This is probably the best progmetal album of the year. A perfect job! Excellent songwriting, exciting orchestration, deeply emotional singing, intelligent and interesting lyrics. The vocalist Mac gets better and better with every new album. This pruduct of the highest class is a unique mixture of ... (read more)

Report this review (#32101) | Posted by | Tuesday, December 28, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars With their latest release Threshold once again proved their inviolable first position in progressive world. Question of freedom, morality and identity in modern (political) reality stands out as indinspensable theme of Threshold's philosophy. Vocals have been raised to a higher level, with alw ... (read more)

Report this review (#32100) | Posted by Threshold | Thursday, November 25, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars I absolutely love this album. I got into Threshold about 5 months ago, after hearing Critical Energy, and when I heard this album I stopped listening to everything else. Even my all time favorite Dream Theater has been set to the side until I wear this disc out. Track 1, Mission profile, is an ... (read more)

Report this review (#32094) | Posted by | Friday, October 29, 2004 | Review Permanlink

4 stars Excelent work full of complex and melodical passages. This album it's more than metal! I like both, the american and the scandinavian progressive metal, but -in my opinion- the touch of this band is an equilibrated mix, joining the best from the american prog-metal style -more frecuently lead ... (read more)

Report this review (#32115) | Posted by | Friday, October 22, 2004 | Review Permanlink

1 stars I don't like such pseudo-artistry music. The chorus singed by the whole band are annoying and dull, the rest of music is uninspired, boring and full of clichés. The whole recording is so bombastic that particular songs from it could be poor national anthems. Psychedelicatesen was a decent metal ... (read more)

Report this review (#32114) | Posted by silentman | Wednesday, October 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars First of all, I own all THReSHoLD CD's and the fact is that they are the best "progressive" metal band of today music. They have (after a lot of albums) proven once more that they can do the best "catchy" prog-metal and each album grow in you every time you listen to it. Subsurface is without ... (read more)

Report this review (#32113) | Posted by | Wednesday, October 20, 2004 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Absolutely perfect !! This is the top of the progressive music these times together with Dream Theater. Absolutely inteligent compositions, passionate atmosphere, perfect arrange... When you listen this album very thoughtfully than the result is fatastic !! The fact is that these guys are abso ... (read more)

Report this review (#32109) | Posted by | Tuesday, September 21, 2004 | Review Permanlink

2 stars They`re repeating themselves. Same riffs, same use of vocals, same attitude. When "Critical Mass" was the strong, this represents the weaker side of Threshold. There are some marks that band isn`t completely dead - track called "Pressure" has at least some energy, although it isn`t...this Thre ... (read more)

Report this review (#32108) | Posted by | Sunday, September 05, 2004 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of THRESHOLD "Subsurface "