Genesis - Foxtrot CD (album) cover

FOXTROT

Genesis

Warthur
4 stars To be honest, whilst I would be the first to admit that Foxtrot is a great album, over the passage of years I've found that I've ended up prizing Trespass, Nursery Cryme, and Selling England By the Pound above it. The album jettisons a certain amount of the gentle, pastoral approach of the past two albums (though there are quieter moments here and there) in favour of adding a bit more bombast and theatricality to the sound, with what I find to be mixed results; Get 'Em Out By Friday, in particular, I find to be one of the less successful of Gabriel's theatrical songs, though I've come to appreciate it more over time, whilst Supper's Ready has many undeniably wonderful qualities, but at the same time seems a bit calculated - like the band were going out of their way to produce a twenty minute epic simply because it was the done thing at the time, and you can see the filler here and there.

Still, I do like it more than The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, which I think has substantially more filler than this, and it's overall a very, very fun album - I'm just one of those heretics who wouldn't put it at the absolute peak of the Genesis canon. Even so, over time I've had to admit that even the less entrancing moments are still pretty decent, and with a bit of tightening up here and there I could have given it five stars without qualms.

Warthur | 4/5 |