The Enid - In the Region Of The Summer Stars CD (album) cover

IN THE REGION OF THE SUMMER STARS

The Enid

VDGG
5 stars I bought this album on vinyl when it first appeared in the UK after hearing a track on Alan Freeman's show - remember him? Good old "Fluff". Anyway, I was blown away then and it still remains an absolute favorite. The guitar on the original vinyl was awesome and really loses something in the re-recording for the CD version - and what's with the whale noises?

Each track builds from the previous one starting with the quiet and melodic piano intro of "The Fool" - the driving guitar and very melodic riffs interplay with the orchestral percussion. The album crescendos through the "Death...", quietens in "The Lovers" and picks up the pace again in "The Devil". Robert John's classical influence shows through. I have yet to find a band like them frankly, so it is hard to compare them with anyone!

The vinyl version gets 5+ stars for me - the CD 4. This in my view was their best album, but the few following were also quite excellent. Unfortunately, the lineup changed so much it was tough to keep the "sound" intact, particularly after Frances L left - according to the Enid website he had an issue with the bottle.

Bottom line - If you don't have it, get it!!

VDGG | 5/5 |