World of Silence - Window of Heaven CD (album) cover

WINDOW OF HEAVEN

World of Silence

Starhammer
3 stars Mirror of Heaven...

For some reason whenever I'm flying I listen to this album, I'm not sure why but it's become something of a tradition. So here I am 33,000 feet above sea level, crossing the Alps on the way to Pula airport and the time feels right to write a few words about this release from short-lived Swedish band, World of Silence.

The Good: This is a great album, it really is, and I would recommend it to just about everyone. However, it is impossible to talk about these guys without harking on about their blatant influences. Whilst nearly every band shows at least some semblance of style from an earlier paradigm, this release sounds EXACTLY like early day Dream Theater. It might be slightly more ambient/experimental but that's just clutching at straws really as the similarities are inescapable. Having said that, when compared directly to When Day and Dream Unite, this debut actually sounds a lot more polished as there are fewer weak tracks to be found and the vocals are much more pleasing on the ear. In addition, the individual songs have a lot of character which is very important in what has now become a congested genre, and this gives a warm of feeling familiarity whilst remaining interesting even after countless listens.

The Bad: 98% derivative.

The Verdict: One of those album's you've probably never heard of but once you listen you're glad you did.

Starhammer | 3/5 |