Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters CD (album) cover

HEAD HUNTERS

Herbie Hancock

Starhammer
3 stars Mind Benders...

Shortly after his trilogy of experimental albums Herbie Hancock released the slightly more accessible Head Hunters, which ultimately resulted in the formation of the eponymous band.

The Good: Despite the change of line-up the musicianship is still of the highest calibre.

The Bad: So Chameleon kicks off with that famous 12-note bouncer and carries on for about half the song before reprising at the end, although it will stick in your head much longer than that. The other instrumentation builds up and adapts around this riff. Then we have Watermelon Man, more of the same except this time we have some sort of birdcall/whistling. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising the structure of the arrangements, Jazz is synonymous for its meanderings around and about a holding groove. The problem is that these sounds are so "catchy" if you like, that they can be entirely distracting from the rest of the music, to the point that by the end of the track I can only remember one "thing" actually happening. There are of course two other tracks on this release, which are probably highly enjoyably, but I honestly couldn't tell you as the musical brainwashing runs deeper than you might expect.

The Verdict: Some very good fusion, I think, perhaps.

Starhammer | 3/5 |