Pink Floyd - Meddle CD (album) cover

MEDDLE

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

toroddfuglesteg
4 stars This album is the main subject of this month's Classic Rock Presents Prog. Hence, it is about time to check it out for myself.

I am an admirer of Pink Floyd, but not a fan. Maybe I am turning into a fan, based on the last days purchase of their albums.

For me, Meddle is a transitional album between the avant-garde space proggers Pink Floyd and the stadium filler band Pink Floyd. This album rides two horses at the same time. The dog howling solo on this album is avant-garde. Most of One Of These Days and the best song here, Echoes, is stadium fillers.

I remember Echoes well from their Live at Pompeii movie which I watched 30 years ago on TV. David Gilmour's guitar wall of sound made an everlasting impression on me. I am not kidding. I love this part of Echoes. It is cosmic wonderful. But the rest of this twenty-three minutes long track is als wonderful and by far the best song on this album. To a large degree; Meddle reminds me about an ELP or a Rush album. Some whimsy tracks like Seamus and San Tropez which is fillers to a large extent and one big piece of music. Echoes, that is. Add One Of These Days to the mix and you have a great album.

I regard this as a great album and one I will enjoy for decades to come. And yes, I know I am a bit of a slow in the uptake. 1300 reviews and 30 years later; I discover Meddle. But I have not really been bothered before now, to be honest. But Meddle is worth the wait. In particular; Echoes.

A great album.