Pink Floyd - Delicate Sound Of Thunder CD (album) cover

DELICATE SOUND OF THUNDER

Pink Floyd

Psychedelic/Space Rock

toroddfuglesteg
3 stars A big release when it was released, but has not survived the passing of time.

I was a big fan of this double album when it arrived in my local record shop back in 1988. I bought it and played it to death, not knowing the more exciting Pink Floyd period. A Momentary Lapse Of Reason was my exposure to this band and that album is occupying a lot of space on this live album. Far too much space.

In short; Delicate Sound Of Thunder is the brainchild of the 1980s with the AOR plastic fantastic sound Pink Floyd adopted then. In my ears anno 2011, this album is pretty good, but also pretty boring. This although it is a decade or so since I last heard it. Comfortably Numb is still a great song. The rest is, well, the renditions of the more older Pink Floyd sounds neutered and flat. The band arrives, put up a laser show while playing these songs, getting paid and then moves on to the next arena. Pink Floyd is by nature a laid back band. But these renditions is taking laid back to the extremes and almost life support.

No life, but still a good live album. It has dropped two points in my estimation since 1988.

3 stars