Gong - 25th Birthday Party CD (album) cover

Canterbury Scene

3 stars I'd love to give this double-cd live album four stars, but it has a fairly major problem: the sound is very reverberant. It reminds me of many bootleg live recordings I've heard that have good fidelity, but just too much reverb due to the fact that they were not taken directly from the soundboard. Perhaps the intention was to give the recording a more "you are there" feel, but other live Gong recordings I've heard do not share this quality. Performances are good, the song selection is good (if typical), but it's not easy for me to get past that "wet" sound...
soundsweird | 3/5 |