Zyma - Thoughts CD (album) cover

THOUGHTS

Zyma

Canterbury Scene

Gatot
5 stars I knew the band only couple of months ago as a friend of mind told me about this Canterbury outfit when I told him about The Tangent and Khan. The name itself did not ring me a bell at all as this is actually a vintage album and by that I knew nothing about it. When I spun this album for the first time it really blew me away and I did not believe that the 'unknown' (at least to me) is actually an excellent collaborative work among the members of the band. I don't see any dominance from the view point of the music even though I can hear many keyboard work as well as violin. The first two to three spins I thought I would give an approximately four star rating. Unfortunately it grew on me and I really enjoy the music this band plays in this album from opening track to the end. It deserves a five-star rating, for sure.

The album title track "Thoughts" (8:19) at the beginning of the album clearly indicates the musical quality of the band members as the music flows nicely with excellent female vocal. The track is basically not complex, composition-wise, but definitely it's not mellow pop style as there are many jazz rock components. The second track "Businessman" (12:33) is truly a masterpiece as the music is built around simple structure but it's very rich in textures. It seems like a simple composition at the beginning. But when I observe while he music flows I can see the great combination of bass, drum as well as guitar. While the third track "One Way Street" (8:04) there are parts with avant-garde piece. There are segments that remind me to the style of Gentle Giant plus unique vocal work - this time is predominantly male vocal. The short track "We Got Time" (3:43) brings back the female vocal work with excellent violin solo supported by good supporting music. The concluding track "Wasting Time" (9:39) brings us nice jazz rock fusion with excellent keyboard work, fabulous violin and excellent female vocal. ' Overal, this is a masterpiece that no one can afford to let it go.... Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW