THOUGHTS

- Meinrad Hirt / vocals, flute, keyboards, violin
- Karl Heinz Weiler / guitars, vocals
- Tim Pfau / vocals
- Udo Kübler / drums

LP Z Productions 0381978 (1978)
CD Garden Of Delights CD 026

and to Snow Dog for the last updates

ZYMA MP3, Free Download (music stream)

Buy ZYMA Thoughts Music

ThoughtsThoughts

More places to buy ZYMA music online Buy ZYMA & Prog Rock Digital Music online:
  • AmazonMP3: Search for ZYMA DRM-Free MP3 Downloads @ AmazonMP3 (USA Only) | AmazonMP3 (UK Only)

ZYMA Thoughts ratings distribution

ZYMA Thoughts reviews

Review by hdfisch
4 stars Zyma was a 5-piece band coming from the area around Heidelberg/Mannheim and started their career doing progressive hardrock which is examplified by the two bonus tracks added on the CD re-release of this album here. Well, the material from the original vinyl is quite different from those ones that is a wonderful blend of folk, jazz and rock in the best Canterburian tradition. Especially the voice of the female singer which is sometimes slightly reminiscent of Annie Haslam contributes a strong folk touch to their music. Overall it's dominated by excellent Rhodes piano play accompanied by flute and violin. All musicians exhibit a great virtuosity on their instruments and the sound moves back and forth from light, swinging jazz over driving jazz rock to sometimes slightly experimental avant-garde. "We got time" is more a playful medieval folk rock piece but the remaining four tracks are absolutely flawless, highly diversified and truly amazing. Despite all virtuosity and playfulness the music on here stays throughout the album comprehensible,melodic and enjoyable. The two blues-tinged and harder-edged bonus tracks are not quite as brilliant but by no means a complete failure. Apart from the fact that they're suffering a bit from too much hiss in the vocal mix they're offering a nice addition and can't narrow the overall good impression of this album at all.

As a summary I can say that this represents a brilliant example of Canterbury-styled progressive rock coming from Germany and I'd highly recommend it in particular to any lover of this sub-genre.

Send comments to hdfisch (BETA) | Report this review (#87525) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, August 17, 2006

Review by philippe
3 stars A very rare but strong 'Canterbury' release from Germany. Very pleasant, inspired and technical, Zyma cultivates the musical schema developed by Soft Machine and others but stresses the funniest and most optimistic emotional dialogue of it, thanks to very enthusiastic melodies and catchy improvisations. The opening track illustrates it perfectly. Mostly a jazzy rock composition punctuated by female voices and fantasist interludes. "One way street" is one of my favourite tracks, a kind of abstract prog-psych jazz with a very long, very strange hippie-like introduction. The rest of the tune represents a positive jazz rock excursion with some discreet folk accents due to the pastoral, dancing flute lines. Certainly not a personal favourite but quite interesting and recommended for those who like relaxing hippie-rock jams.

Send comments to philippe (BETA) | Report this review (#92088) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Review by Eetu Pellonpää
4 stars Wow,. There is very Brittish sounding and good, laid back hippie jazz-rock with some quite experimental phases found from this record. Long tracks build up from only few themes, which are explored trough long jam passages. The keyboard driven sound with a lady singer and jazzy rhythm section with few visits of violin brings to me associations of some early Curved Air songs, though the overall quality of Zyma's music is in my opinion mostly better, focusing to more compact amount of elements. There are no hit-songs included, and there is also male vocals present. Also a slighlty down-to-earth & hornless version of Soft Machine could be one way to describe the music with a comparison.

The songs flow as logical and pleasant entities, and the experimental freak out moments are also logical components, not jokes out of the context. All of the tunes are very good, though maybe the most wildest experiments like song "One Way Street" weren't a highlight for me, though not irritating experience either. CD version has some bonus tracks, which have heavier guitar/keyboard riffs than the original release songs. Sound quality is also little poorer, though song are otherwise good, containing also dramatic and moody phases and creating interesting tunes for listening if you like the record otherwise.

This album is very relaxing listening experience, and I would warmly recommend it to anybody liking the early 70's jazzy Brittish prog sound, as though the time and place of it production, it really fits to this style and aesthetics with surprising accuracy.

Send comments to Eetu Pellonpää (BETA) | Report this review (#223561) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, June 28, 2009

Review by Marty McFly
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Errors and Omissions Team
4 stars Funny, that's it, feeling somewhat old and weary, like something that you know from your past, was long forgotten and is here now. Or at least that's impression it makes on me, as I wasn't there when this was released (my father was, therefore I can enjoy this one). Looks like Canterbury comes to Germany. Wild in heart, fast paced in rhythm, its calm and shady (like oasis is providing shade) atmosphere reminiscent those of for example Gryphon (We Got Time). It's from German, but members were either interested in Britain, or it's been some kind of parallel evolution. But not at all times, because in first moments with this album, I felt like listening Zeuhl music (choir style of singing), also this type of drum&bass (it sounds terrible, it reminds this style of doom that's popular today, but this style is actually based on strong bass and prominent drumming).

Well, it's also nice funk music (again, just something).

4(-), oh yeah.

Send comments to Marty McFly (BETA) | Report this review (#269248) | Review Permalink
Posted Tuesday, March 02, 2010

5 stars Well it definitely hurt to read the news this morning that Francois Cahen (MAGMA / ZAO) passed away yesterday. I listened to ZAO's "Osiris" album this morning after listening to this record by ZYMA that i'm about to review, and I was overwelmed by Cahen's keyboard work all over again. If there's one thing that lifts my spirits though it's music, and this ZYMA album called "Thoughts" did that and then some. I still can't get over how good this record is.The compositions, vocals and instrumental work are inventive and outstanding. While this German band is listed under Canterbury (a rare thing) they really combine several styles including Zeuhl, Jazz / Rock / Fusion and Krautrock. For me this is a Jazz / Rock / Fusion hybrid and they implimented a lot of great ideas in creating this masterpiece. Lots of Fender Rhodes and growly bass, while the highlight for me is the drumming. Unreal ! A fair amount of violin is used while the guitar and flute seem to be used sparingly. I really enjoy the female vocals and the way she sings those wordless melodies.

"Thoughts" opens with female vocal melodies with drums and bass that brings Zeuhl to mind right away.This made me smile knowing this is a German band. It then settles in with vocals, intricate drumming, bass and Fender Rhodes. So good. Piano to the fore 3 minutes in. It turns spacey with synths 4 1/2 minutes in then the violin joins in as the intricate drumming and synths continue. Bass too.Vocals are back before 6 1/2 minutes. "Businessman" is an interesting track. It has a very spacey intro that ends before 2 minutes then intricate drumming, bass and Fender Rhodes kicks in and builds.Vocal melodies and some distorted keyboards follow. Male vocals before 5 1/2 minutes. I cannot get over how good the drumming is here. Piano to the fore before 7 minutes then violin after 8 minutes.This is so intricate and there's so much going on.Too good to be true.

"One Way Street" opens with female and male vocals. Funny lyrics here with some very cool vocal arrangements. Inventive. It turns experimental in that Krautrock style and spirit before 2 minutes. She's screaming in the background. It kicks back in at 3 minutes to an uptempo rhythm with male vocals.Violin after 4 minutes then silly vocal melodies come in followed by flute.

"We Got Time" is uptempo with flute, female vocals and a beat. When the vocals stop the violin leads then the violin stops and the vocals lead as they trade off. "Wasting Time" opens with female vocal melodies as the bass and drums join in. Drums to the fore 3 minutes in then piano and violin join in as well. Male and female vocals arrive as the drums pound. Piano and drums then lead as they jam in a relaxed manner. Nice.

It's like this was custom made for me. Simply outstanding in every way.

Send comments to Mellotron Storm (BETA) | Report this review (#482030) | Review Permalink
Posted Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review by Gatot
5 stars I knew the band only couple of months ago as a friend of mind told me about this Canterbury outfit when I told him about The Tangent and Khan. The name itself did not ring me a bell at all as this is actually a vintage album and by that I knew nothing about it. When I spun this album for the first time it really blew me away and I did not believe that the 'unknown' (at least to me) is actually an excellent collaborative work among the members of the band. I don't see any dominance from the view point of the music even though I can hear many keyboard work as well as violin. The first two to three spins I thought I would give an approximately four star rating. Unfortunately it grew on me and I really enjoy the music this band plays in this album from opening track to the end. It deserves a five-star rating, for sure.

The album title track "Thoughts" (8:19) at the beginning of the album clearly indicates the musical quality of the band members as the music flows nicely with excellent female vocal. The track is basically not complex, composition-wise, but definitely it's not mellow pop style as there are many jazz rock components. The second track "Businessman" (12:33) is truly a masterpiece as the music is built around simple structure but it's very rich in textures. It seems like a simple composition at the beginning. But when I observe while he music flows I can see the great combination of bass, drum as well as guitar. While the third track "One Way Street" (8:04) there are parts with avant-garde piece. There are segments that remind me to the style of Gentle Giant plus unique vocal work - this time is predominantly male vocal. The short track "We Got Time" (3:43) brings back the female vocal work with excellent violin solo supported by good supporting music. The concluding track "Wasting Time" (9:39) brings us nice jazz rock fusion with excellent keyboard work, fabulous violin and excellent female vocal. ' Overal, this is a masterpiece that no one can afford to let it go.... Keep on proggin' ...!

Peace on earth and mercy mild - GW

Send comments to Gatot (BETA) | Report this review (#518136) | Review Permalink
Posted Friday, September 09, 2011

Review by apps79
SPECIAL COLLABORATOR Neo Prog Team
3 stars German group from the region of Heidelberg/Mahhheim, formed in 1972 by drummer Karl-Heinz Weiler, who would join Nine Days Wonder the next year under the pseudonym Hyazintus.The rest of the team were Bodo Brandl on bass, Günter Hornung on keyboards, multi-instrumentalist Meinrad Hirt and Tim Pfau on guitars.Drummer Udo Kübler was Weiler's replacement in 1973.Hirt would be replaced in 1974 by female singer/flutist/violin player Dorle Ferber and the new formation would participate in the Kerston compilation ''Proton 1'' with two tracks.In 1976 Pfau leaves the band and two year laters Hirt would rejoin Zyma for the recordings of the debut ''Thoughts'', privately released in 1978 in about 1000 copies.

Zyma proposed an elaborate and refined Progressive Rock with extended room for instrumental workouts and an expanded instrumentation with violins, flutes and varied keyboards in the process in an amalgam flirting with Teutonic Progressive Rock and Canterbury Prog/Jazz-Rock at the same time.All lyrics were delivered in English with both male and female vocals and someone could easily confuse the group as being a British one.''Thoughts'' consists of five, mainly long tracks with some very good interplays and numerous solos of impressive technique blended with more mellow vocal moments, when Zyma's sound obtains an obscure folky flavor.The long instrumental passages though have a very jazzy/Fusion-esque vibe akin to bands like BRUFORD or NATIONAL HEALTH, while there are also plenty of spacey textures with atmospheric keyboards, more in the vein of German bands.The album is characterized by its dominant work on keyboards, featuring long electric piano jams and cosmic synths, the melancholic violin themes, the melodic flutes and the strong dose of Canterbury-flavored interplays.

The Garden Of Delights CD reissue contains as bonus the two tracks recorded by the group in 1974 for the ''Proton 1'' compilation.''Law Like Love'' has nothing to do with band's later sound, it's more in a Heavy/Psych/Prog vein with strong female vocals and evident bluesy influences on the guitars, while ''Tango Enough'' is more consistent and closer to the style of ''Thoughts''.This is again energetic Psych/Prog Rock, but this time the use of synths and violins make it quite rewarding, though the vocal parts sound quite psychedelic.

A trully accomplished group with a very sophisticated style at a time, when producing trully proggy efforts wasn't really recommended.''Thoughts'' will find a nice place in the collection of any fan of diverse and adventurous Progressive Rock with long instrumental parts.

Send comments to apps79 (BETA) | Report this review (#934883) | Review Permalink
Posted Sunday, March 24, 2013

4 stars The first thing I noticed about this record spinning it for the first time is how easy it is to discern one instrument from the other. The sound is very clean - it sounds like a Genesis record or, more to Zyma's level, Curved Air. This reminds me somewhat of a Canterburied "Phantasmagoria" ... (read more)

Report this review (#1140358) | Posted by Suedevanshoe | Saturday, March 01, 2014 | Review Permanlink

3 stars Zyma was a strange german '70s band. Strange, because their music has little in common with the rest of german prog/krautrock bands of that era. Zyma sound similar to Caterbury bands, their prog elements remind of classic british prog and their distinctive sound also includes jazz influences w ... (read more)

Report this review (#301736) | Posted by DeKay | Sunday, October 03, 2010 | Review Permanlink

3 stars A pleasant Canterbury prog album from this German five piece band. The music is pretty much in the fusion and jazz-rock vein. The music is not particular avant- garde. It is more playful melodic than avant-garde. The pretty good female vocals gives this album it's own identity. So does the use ... (read more)

Report this review (#245998) | Posted by toroddfuglesteg | Saturday, October 24, 2009 | Review Permanlink

5 stars Like others bands that compose the best of the Canterburian tradition, Zyma represent the bands from out of U.K. (like Cos, Supersister and Mr. Sirius) who makes a sound so imponent and unique, that has to be call of Canterburry scenne. In this album, the keyboard reminds some passages of Dave ... (read more)

Report this review (#123121) | Posted by Henrock | Tuesday, May 22, 2007 | Review Permanlink

Post a review of ZYMA "Thoughts"