Fates Warning - Parallels CD (album) cover

PARALLELS

Fates Warning

SouthSideoftheSky
Symphonic Team
4 stars Leaving the past behind (slightly)

Following the influential Perfect Symmetry album, the almost equally excellent Parallels saw Fates Warning transforming a little bit. Moving slightly from more underground towards more mainstream Metal. This album is thus a little bit less complex and more melodic, less progressive if you like, a more polished production. The ambition was probably to attract a wider audience without alienating the already converted. But the energetic riffs are still here. My own initial impression was less favourable to this album, but it has grown on me a lot since I first heard it. Even if it does not quite rival Perfect Symmetry, it is certainly one of the best albums by the band.

There is a nice variation between slower and faster tempos and between riffs and melodies, but I miss the slightly richer variation in instrumentation found on Perfect Symmetry. I might be wrong, but I hear a bit of Rush here in addition to the more traditional Judas Priest and Iron Maiden influences. The band sounds confident and professional and they are clearly a well-oiled machine.

Another very good Fates Warning album and a highly recommended companion to Perfect Symmetry

SouthSideoftheSky | 4/5 |