Van Der Graaf Generator - Refugees / Boat Of A Million Years CD (album) cover

REFUGEES / BOAT OF A MILLION YEARS

Van Der Graaf Generator

Matti
5 stars (First review for this single.)

They didn't always have cover art for singles back then, did they? Anyway, this single (which I haven't seen but heard both tracks of it) would climb very near to the top of my all-time singles, judged by the songs. 'Refugees' is a beautiful prog ballad from their first masterpiece album, Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other, very emotional (as only Hammill/VdGG can be) and elegant. It's also one of the highest vocals by Hammill, but he doesn't sound stupid at all. The single version is skillfully edited to under six minutes.

Flipside's 'Boat Of Millions Of Years' then is probably the best non-album tracks of VdGG. I first heard it on a radio (!) in 1990 or so, on a Finnish series about prog. Later I captured the song from a VdGG compilation. It's also included on the 2005 remaster of Least We Can Do CD. It's deeply atmospheric and dark, reminding of for example 'Necromancer' or slower moments of 'Lemmings' in spirit, but more ethereal. Definitive classic stuff!

Matti | 5/5 |