Fly Pan Am - Ceux Qui Inventent N'ont Jamais Vécu CD (album) cover

Fly Pan Am

Post Rock/Math rock

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
2 stars I always find difficult to rate/review post rock albums (and I must not be the only one since all post-rock groups are devoid of reviews outside Sigur Ros and GYBE!) and this one is no exception. Yet another Constellation record label product , I find Fly Pan Am maybe the hardest to come to grasp too.

As with many artist on this label , these guys are from Quebec , but they vary quite a bit from GYBE!, Do Make Say Think , Silver Mt Zion etc.. Their music still has some moments that I would classify as typically Constellation sound , but they do stray from the path often and generally head off in a direction that I will best describe as unexpectedly experimental playing the studio as an instrument a bit the same way a Techno Dj or lete 80's rap artist might play the turntables. Do not let these two example scare youoff ,we are not at all in such a category of music , but the tape effects (or whatever studio tamperings these guys do) are disturbing meto thepouintof making the listening experience of one of their record (I had heard another a few years ago ( Ithink it was the debut) rather difficult and unpleasant. I am quite afraid that most progheads would never come to appreciate this oeuvre , because those tape effects make repeated listening quite arduous. Of late, DMST's latest album seem to head also in this direction.

I wish I could avoid rating an album I do not understand , but I will simply not recommend it unless you are Constellation record completist

Sean Trane | 2/5 |