Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

Andrea Cortese
3 stars Impia torturorum longas hic turba furores / sanguinis innocui, non satiata, aluit.

A great concept about one of the greatest writer in all the history of the western society. I've always loved his tales, his imagination, his great literature's knowledge, even his humour! I remember me going to library or buying his Tales, reading those terrifying pages 'til the late hours. Poe's characters, few exceptions apart, are always examples of a banished humanity: they are perverse (The Imp of the Perverse), insane (Roderick Usher), spectral (Silence), angel-like creatures (Ligeia, Morella, Berenice). All masques for musical dramas, all nightmares for evenings without moon. Love, amusement, fear, terror, imagination, anguish.THIS IS MUSIC ITSELF!

Alan Parsons had really a good idea.did he reach the goal to disclose Poe's music?

Surely he did it in the instrumental The Fall Of The House Of Usher, 16 minutes of pure trembling feelings, spectral movements and dark structures. What about the sung tracks? The Cask of Amontillado and (The System of) Doctor Tarr and Professor Leather are excellent (expecially the first one with those powerful orchestral parts!) and deserve a high rating. I cannot say the same for The Tell-tale Heart and The Raven which seem to me somehow more superficial and banal (not bad though).

P.S. narration on the opener track A Dream Within A Dream was provided by Orson Welles. He never met Alan Parsons. Only sent the recorded tape.

Andrea Cortese | 3/5 |