Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery and Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe CD (album) cover

TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION - EDGAR ALLAN POE

Alan Parsons Project

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
3 stars 3,5 stars really!!!!

This UFO appeared early in my record-buying carreer and it still remains a soft spot in my ears, although I find APP a bit out of the scope of the ProgArchives . A concept album does not make for a prog record (although there are solid prog overtones and it is a very symphonis affair) because then The Who and Pretty Things should then be included. Tales is the only APP album that approaches prog in the strict sense of the term.

However, the music is really endearing and Raven is my fave on here and Doctor Tarr not lagging far behind. The lenghty suite on side 2 The Fall of The House of Usher is another highlight , although I find this a little too easy for my complicated tastes. Apart from being an outstanding record producer , Alan Parsons had some real taste for symphonic music (as he showed us on the Ambrosia debut) and there are lenghty passages where he must've had a ball. So do most listeners.

Would this not be a prog site , this album would easily have gotten a fourth star.

Sean Trane | 3/5 |