Peter Gabriel - Peter Gabriel (1 -

PETER GABRIEL (1 - "CAR")

Peter Gabriel

Warthur
3 stars Making a clean break from the pastoral symphonic style of Genesis, Peter Gabriel's first solo album sees him apply his theatrical approach to singing to a set of intriguing art rock pieces, produced (and occasionally overproduced) by the legendary Bob Ezrin. It's an entertaining enough album - though I think it bogs down around the middle, with both Excuse Me and Humdrum being extremely skippable - but I can't help but feel that it represents a lost opportunity.

To my mind, Gabriel should have been able to something a bit more interesting and unexpected with a backing band including talents like Robert Fripp and Tony Levin (an encounter which would, no doubt, lead Fripp to recruit Levin into the reconfigured King Crimson some years down the line), but possibly this wasn't down to him - he's gone on record as feeling that the album was overproduced, particularly Here Comes the Flood, and having heard the sparser version he performs on Fripp's Exposure album I'm inclined to agree. A decent start but Gabriel hadn't quite found a compelling solo sound yet.

Warthur | 3/5 |