Transatlantic - Bridge Across Forever CD (album) cover

BRIDGE ACROSS FOREVER

Transatlantic

Starhammer
4 stars Prog Zeppelin II...

Despite Transatlantic being a so-called 'supergroup', I will admit that I knew nothing of Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings or Marillion prior to listening to this release. Nowadays I am familiar with all three bands to varying degrees, but I think this earlier ignorance did give me a certain fresh perspective. In addition, I had had very little exposure to any forms of neo or symphonic prog at all, and so for me this sound was completely new!

Whilst I now understand that the style is almost entirely derivative, I still think it deserves five stars, and still see it as Transatlantic's finest achievement to date. So instead of saying how amazing it is we shall just assume musical perfection, minus the following flaws;

The lyrics throughout average about Stilton-and-a-half on a scale of one-to-cheese.

Mike Portnoy simply cannot sing, and should no be allowed to do so. Ever.

Duel With the Devil should end around the 23 minute mark as the remainder of the song is totally unnecessary and dilutes the overall effect of that incredible chorus.

Suite Charlotte Pike is slightly weaker than the rest of the album.

The Verdict: Five stars for nostalgia, four stars for achievement.

Starhammer | 4/5 |