Phish - Lawn Boy CD (album) cover

LAWN BOY

Phish

Starhammer
3 stars "Bag it, tag it, sell it to the butcher in the store..."

Not to be confused with the bath loving Scotsman of Marillion fame, this is Phish, the renowned jam band from Vermont. And they are renowned, but mainly for their menagerie of live albums. In comparison their studio efforts are often looked upon as mere blueprints for potentially glorious architecture, and this sophomore release features many concert staples.

I am by no means a Phish fan, sure I enjoy their music and own a couple of their live releases, but I don't worship them like many of their die-hard followers. And so I am somewhat surprised at how much this album has grown on me over time! It's quirky, its loveable, and the lyrics are to literature what Dagmar Krause is to vocals. Don't expect that just because this is a studio recording it loses the groove of the live setting as there are plenty of intricate moments, as well as extended improvisation on the longer tracks.

The Verdict: A excellent starting point for any Phish collection.

Starhammer | 3/5 |