Deep Purple - Stormbringer CD (album) cover

STORMBRINGER

Deep Purple

Proto-Prog

toroddfuglesteg
2 stars David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes took over from Ian Gillan and Roger Glover on Burn. But they only really put their stamp on this album. An album much more to their taste.

I do not deny that both Coverdale and Hughes is some really good people and musicians. Glenn Hughes is particular regarded as one of the finest human beings this scene has ever seen. But their take on music is not to my taste.

This album has a very fine title track which opens the proceedings. One of their greatest tracks and I believe they still play it, even with Ian Gillan on vocals. Then this album takes a very rapid nosedive in my books. Funk and half bluesy AOR hard rock is not what I think Deep Purple should had dabbled into. This album is full of it. The closing song Soldier Of Fortune is a half decent attempt on a power ballad too.

In short; this is not a good Deep Purple album and it is one to avoid.

2 stars